!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Early G/F loco  (Read 1316 times)

Online east anglian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15731
    • Awards
Re: Early G/F loco
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2020, 11:14:04 PM »
I   have   3   off   these   2  black   and   the   blue   G E R   all   have   the   original    can    motor   and     they      are    all    very    good   runners,  the  reason   a    lot   of   these   Holden   tanks   lock   up   or    don't   run    is    because  the    connecting    rods   are   out   of   sync   with   the   drive    gear,   

Offline PGN

• N Gauge Society Number: 7306
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2020, 10:11:51 PM »
But the coupling rods on this model are just spanners which are held in place by plug-in plastic pins. How can they be out of sync?

I suspect that far more often the problem is 50 years of over-oiling has left the gear train hopelessly gunged up. I've just worked wonders on an Arnold locomotive of similar vintage by cleaning all the old gunge out of the gear train and cleaning all the carbon deposits off the commutators.
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Online east anglian

• N Gauge Society Number: 15731
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2020, 08:50:04 AM »
Yes   they   are    held   on    with   so    called   spanners    but   if    the    driving    cog   is   only   one     tooth    out   it    wont    run   

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2020, 09:07:37 AM »
But the coupling rods on this model are just spanners which are held in place by plug-in plastic pins. How can they be out of sync?

Easy.  A wheel can twist round on the axle, making the quartering go out of sync. They should be a tight fit but abuse or over-oiling can cause the fit to loosen.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline PGN

• N Gauge Society Number: 7306
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2020, 09:32:51 AM »
Ahhhhh ... got you. Yes, that would make sense.
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal