!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Trolleybus Overhead  (Read 418 times)

Offline woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Trolleybus Overhead
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2019, 10:35:21 AM »
@Stuart Down Under A talented 00 gauge bus modeller (Tony Chlad) had a series of articles in Railway Modeller about his motorised trolleybus layout, Walford Arches. His trolleybuses were powered from the overhead and I have borrowed his drawing of how he set up his overhead using a strip of PCB to isolate the wire and then slinging this from the posts. Since you are planning on using wire then a soldered assembly like this might work substituting a fine wire link for the PCB. He built his all at road level and the suspension wire to the post was looped around the post and tied off. He then moved the whole wire assembly up post by post 1mm at a time until he got it to the correct height. I have a copy of the articles if you are interested in them.

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/gallery/80/1599-280819103350.jpeg
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 10:36:42 AM by woodbury22uk »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 10:52:06 AM »
You’ve posted 3 times on this thread, none of which are actually helpful, but it’s only the third one where you’ve said “hope Stuart doesn’t mind the hijack”!

I grew up in the NE with full recollection of the ceiling of trolley cables hanging above my head in the Newcastle area. I also remember all of the sparks and flashes up there.

I admire Stuart's desire to recreate this.

I simply saw something on the news here which I thought somewhat timely and relevant to his project.

At the same time, it was a little away from the original purpose of the thread. For this I apologised, and would like to think that the OP had the flexibility to accept this, which you, obviously, do not.

All the best.  :beers:

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 12:50:56 PM »
I strongly dislike "I don't really know" type posts on forums, they achieve nothing but clogging up threads. Totally understand you may be interested, but your opening gambit was to say "I wouldn't", then "you're really doing it then?", neither of which are necessary or (IMO) useful contributions. It's not so much about not accepting OT posts, which will naturally happen, I was just amused that you excused yourself on the third one, which was actually the most insightful post.

Getting us back on topic... Mike's latest post is very interesting, Google proffers a few photos of the layout:

Which looks very interesting, some seriously complex knitting there considering it's just trolleybus wire! It also doesn't look to have much tension, which is interesting. Going for aesthetic (as opposed to functional) I'd try and aim for more tension I think, although the issue with soldered construction will always make that harder without some external tensioning device.

Offline Stuart Down Under

• N Gauge Society Number: 3354
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2019, 01:13:23 PM »
Thanks guys for all the interest. All suggestions noted and I promise to let you know how it turns out. The first scenic element is only 35cm long, so I can afford to use it as a test case.  :dunce:

Anyone looking for the lamp posts on ebay, I suggest you just search for "n gauge lamp posts" and all manner of styles will appear!  :thumbsup:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2019, 01:20:58 PM »
I strongly dislike "I don't really know" type posts on forums, they achieve nothing but clogging up threads. Totally understand you may be interested, but your opening gambit was to say "I wouldn't", then "you're really doing it then?", neither of which are necessary or (IMO) useful contributions. It's not so much about not accepting OT posts, which will naturally happen, I was just amused that you excused yourself on the third one, which was actually the most insightful post.

Getting us back on topic... Mike's latest post is very interesting, Google proffers a few photos of the layout:

Which looks very interesting, some seriously complex knitting there considering it's just trolleybus wire! It also doesn't look to have much tension, which is interesting. Going for aesthetic (as opposed to functional) I'd try and aim for more tension I think, although the issue with soldered construction will always make that harder without some external tensioning device.

Well there's the first thirteen lines of this post which are basically not useful to the thread.

But thanks for the rest, anyway  :)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here