!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Layouts - Design and Construction  (Read 2633 times)

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
Re: Kato Layouts - Design and Construction
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2019, 11:18:48 PM »
I found Copydex to be particularly good for all my track. Works great for Kato track as well as Peco and if you want to change things, you can (carefully) peel it up again.

Offline springwood

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2019, 08:07:55 AM »
I'm not a fan of Unitrack from a realism point of view (although it's very user friendly)..

I have to agree with njee20 here - from what I have seen of the track system I certainly don't like it..it looks chunky and awkward.

I'm just converting my small (4' x 2') layout to Kato, and just deciding how to attach the track to my baseboard (12mm MDF), leaving me the option to lift and rearrange/extend the layout.

My Peco track pins are too short, are prone to bending and can be awkward to remove.

I can see mention on this thread of small screws.

So - my question - what screws or pins do people use, and what sizes . I see the Kato ones (24-015) - are these up to the job?

When I got the N gauge 'bug' back in the mid-70s, I started buying lengths of flexi code 80 from shops and possibly at exhibitions so that was always what I was going to use when I finally got round to track-laying on my debut layout this year. Personally I think this type of track is great and I found it easy to work with. As long as you plan well and are fully aware of your curve radii, then that's half the battle. I used copydex very effectively to glue all the track and points to the cork underlay and used Peco ST-280 10mm track pins where necessary. These are ideal pins as I found the hornby 14mm ones too thin and long. My baseboard is 9mm mdf and the ST-280s are perfect to get through the sleepers, the 1/16" cork and still have 4 or 5 mm to secure into the mdf. Just to get them to 'blend' into the sleepers I tended to gently file two opposing flats on the pin head to line up with the sleeper sides. All good - I recommend them!

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2019, 03:36:54 PM »
I have never used pins or screws to fasten down Unitrack. I just put a small 'blob' of PVA glue on the little protruding plastic bits underneath the piece of track and maybe a tiny amount on the edge and lay it down. I do however ballast the track, so that holds the track very firm. If, (and when), I have needed to lift some track, all I use is a thin flexible blade and slide it under the track. I do not put glue anywhere near the metal pieces, or the sliding lever, of points.  :no: Doing so, it is to easy to 'gum up' the works.  :)  Unitrack does have its detractors, mainly due to its chunky set piece design, but I think it is quite easy to disguise.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 03:40:11 PM by dannyboy »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Railwaygun

• N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2019, 06:52:32 PM »
Unitrack does have its detractors, mainly due to its chunky set piece design, but I think it is quite easy to disguise.

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2019, 07:17:31 PM »
Quite impressive Nick.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Railwaygun

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2019, 11:21:04 PM »
Quite impressive Nick.  :thumbsup:

It just LOOKS like a model! Itís real!

Caveat lector

10mm / N armour Threads

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2020, 10:50:34 PM »
Hi all in Kato land (especially Leon for starting the thread).

Ages ago I bought a Kato single track automatic signal in a model shop on a whim. It amused me at the time and must have had some extra cash on me.

Anyway, I have a use for it now on my little layout Cala Cuina but am wondering where, if any, are the pitfalls when painting the track it comes with. I'm aware of them with painting points but just wondered if someone has one if they could help as don't want to ruin it.

I presume you don't paint the grey bit that changes the signal lights but can one paint around it OK?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:34:23 AM by weave »

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2020, 01:50:25 AM »
Weave,

I can't help, I'm afraid, but was pleased that you asked the question in the thread I started. There hasn't been much action here, lately. My activity has been rather sporatic of late, due to the intrusion of a few personal issues (health and otherwise). I think everything is beginning to settle down, however. I still have a trip to Dallas coming up, but I hope to get a little modelling done before then.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Online Railwaygun

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2020, 01:37:16 PM »
Hi all in Kato land (especially Leon for starting the thread).

Ages ago I bought a Kato single track automatic signal in a model shop on a whim. It amused me at the time and must have had some extra cash on me.

Anyway, I have a use for it now on my little layout Cala Cuina but am wondering where, if any, are the pitfalls when painting the track it comes with. I'm aware of them with painting points but just wondered if someone has one if they could help as don't want to ruin it.

I presume you don't paint the grey bit that changes the signal lights but can one paint around it OK?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers weave  :beers:

the signals are changed (ISTR) by the wheels bridging the rail and the centre contacts either side of the grey central section.

so mask off this section and weather gently! you could probably apply some weathering to the grey section  carefully!  (at your own risk)

Caveat lector

10mm / N armour Threads

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2020, 03:35:02 PM »

I can see mention on this thread of small screws.

So - my question - what screws or pins do people use, and what sizes . I see the Kato ones (24-015) - are these up to the job?

Thanks - Richard
Hullo Richard,

I believe that was I? I am using tiny self tappers which I brought from a trader at an exhibition in March, Cambs. They do a lot of lighting products and electronic parts, but I can't remember who they are. They are based in March though.

I've tried to do a Google, but I'm still none the wiser, so maybe someone else can help....
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal