!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Layouts - Design and Construction  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: Kato Layouts - Design and Construction
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2019, 06:01:09 PM »
On the Kato layout that I'm putting together at the moment it has Peco Code 55 with the Peco service pits for the loco service shed, with no problems with any of my locos making the crossing between the two Codes.

Jack, thanks for your encouraging post! I'll give it a go unless someone offers a simpler solution. I don't mind buying Code 80 Peco Flexitrack, if that would be easier. Also, any specific suggestions for connecting Kato and Peco will be appreciated. My presumption is that sleepers will need to be removed and either cardboard or other material placed below the Peco track to match the level of the Kato.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2019, 06:07:07 PM »
The Peco track will definitely need 'lifting' to match the Kato track. I believe, although not tried it myself, that if you remove the unijoiner from the Kato track, a 'normal' Peco connector can connect the Peco and Kato track. Someone who has done this will no doubt confirm, (or deny!), my suspicions.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2019, 06:34:44 PM »
David, it appears to me that the connector on the Kato track can be removed from the plastic "plug" for a connection with the Peco track. I'd rather lower the track between the Kato/Peco connection and the entrance to the buildings, if possible. However, I've redesigned the area around the engine shed and coaling station so it may prove to be easier to raise the level of that entire area. If so, I can run the Kato track into the shed but will still need another solution for the coaling station incline. I just can't see the Kato track working for that building. A redesign of the track to accommodate the coaling station was necessary; otherwise, there would have been too little room between the buildings and yard hoist. The image below (if successful) will show you the changes from my present layout. At present, the tracks to the shed and coaling station are parallel - and a bit closer to the station.

Leon
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:36:28 PM by Leon »
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Online Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2019, 06:42:07 PM »
@Leon
When it came to joining the two Codes together I did try with the unijoiner first but the Peco 55 didn't like it too much (Peco 80 may be different), so I've used the normal Peco fishplates as the joiners between the Kato and Peco tracks. I did remove the first sleeper on the Peco 55 to fit the fishplate, which you would do anyway, other than that I've done nothing else. I've not even fitted power feeds to the Peco tracks, they feed off the Kato track via the fishplates without problems, so far...

To be fair if you run your finger over the joint you might feel a slight ridge but no more than you might feel between two piece of Unitrack sometimes.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2019, 06:57:46 PM »
@Leon I personally think the easiest course of action is to raise the surrounding area - and the engine shed - by about 3mm. Where necessary, I use grey or white card that is easily obtained. You could even ask a local picture framer, if there is one near you, if you could have some off cuts cheap, which is what I did. That way you bring the surrounding level to the same height of the track.  I am not sure what the problem is regarding the coaling station, is it just the incline you are concerned about?
David.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2019, 07:06:22 PM »
... is it just the incline you are concerned about?

David, there is the ramp and the second floor of the coaling stage to consider. I just don't think the plastic ballast would look right in either place. And, I can't imagine the Kato track bending enough over the length of the ramp. Two bends, really - at each end of the ramp. The inclines I've build into my layout have caused enough heartburn and I had a lot more room to work with.

Leon

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2019, 07:13:56 PM »
@Leon  Ah ha! The light dawns. I now see what your problem is ................ not sure of a solution at the moment. What length have you got between the beginning of the coaling station incline and the end of the track on the second floor?
David.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2019, 08:03:31 PM »
David,

Ramp = 170mm
Coaling Stage Floor = 130mm
Embankment = 70mm

Total = 370mm

I'm not sure that the Stage floor and Embankment matter. The rail must be flexible enough for the transition from flat to incline at the lower end of the Ramp and from incline to flat at the upper end of the Ramp.

Leon

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2019, 08:37:11 PM »
Okay, I admit it. Kato Unitrack is not perfect!  :(. It is quite easy to alter the shape in a horizontal plane, but not in a vertical plane. I know it took me ages to get the inner line to drop from the bridge and down into 'the mountain' on Averingcliffe without a 'hump'. Even now, there is a speed restriction on that part of the track.   :( (For some reason, Kato engines don't mind though  ;)).
David.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2019, 07:27:04 PM »
As stated (and illustrated) recently, I had to make track changes to accommodate my coaling stage. I'm not very good at visualizing spatial relationships and even worse at measuring (duh!). So, I allowed myself room to make adjustments for my buildings when complete. The track illustration I posted (on this page) was a very good plan but I've since discovered a couple of alternatives that require fewer changes.

Plan A. The original alteration to accommodate the coaling station - Wiltsbury Junction - 11c, would require the purchase of several new points and some additional track sections.
(See illustration above)

Plan B. Wiltsbury Junction - 11d-detail. Changes can be made with existing points and with a minimum purchase of new track (possibly none).

Plan C. Wiltsbury Junction - 11e-detail.  Looks a little cleaner, perhaps, but would require one new point.

I'm inclined to go with Plan B. What do you think? Bear in mind that with all three plans the area will be rather more congested as the buildings are not to scale. I presently have the buildings laid out for Plan B, and it doesn't look bad to me, though I'd go with Plan A if I could justify the additional cost. I think Plan A is closer to the prototype, but none of the plans are prototypical in relationship to the station and platforms. There was a lot of track separating the station and the engine shed. The coaling station was just to the left (West) of the engine shed. The avoiding line was some distance away (maybe two hundred yards?).

In respect to running the tracks into the buildings, I will probably buy Peco Code 80 Set Track. The engine shed entrance is wide enough for Kato track, but the coaling station isn't. And, I'm not inclined to raise the floor of the engine shed to accommodate the Kato track molding.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2019, 01:14:57 AM »
I elected Plan B (previous post) for my locomotive service yard track plan. I've decided to run Kato track into the engine shed, raising the building about 3mm per David's suggestion. In the end, it's going to be easier and probably look better. I will still have to transition from Kato to Peco rail for the run up the ramp of the coaling stage and the GF Depot Hoist I bought will require a section of Peco track, also. In the meantime, my Metcalfe Goods Shed and tunnel entrances are complete with no Kato track problems for that part of the layout. The Peco SetTrack pieces arrived today, and I've started making the track alterations necessary for accommodating the buildings.

Leon

Offline Miek

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2019, 10:19:55 AM »
Hi Leon,

I have joined Kato to Peco in quite a few places.

Under the peco, I have packed card or thin ply wood under the peco track.

Here is another one:

The joiners I used was the code 55 joiners on both peco rails (and I removed the kato joiner from the kato rail). When they are connected they are bit loose on the Kato track but I can tightened them a bit with some pliers.

The trains run fine over these joins

Hope this helps

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2019, 04:37:52 AM »
Hi all,

Firstly, sorry for being very lazy and sorry if this is a silly question. Tried looking for answer but thought just easier to ask.

Basically, can a Kato (24-827) 3 way extension cord with three more of them become a 9 way extension cord?

I'm going to have single track with definitely one and maybe two lift out sections which will be a long stretch so thought I could connect up the isolated sections and the other track all to one controller without having to do any soldering etc.

I have one of them and it works fine but wondered if adding three more to it would make some sort of electrical decrease or loss of power. Not good with electrics, hence the kato track.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Weave, I hope you don't mind me quoting from your thread. The consensus answer was "yes" to which I can add my affirmation. Two of my three controllers are using multiple 3-way extension cords and before I'm finished I may have a 12-way extension! I have a lot of power feeds!

Leon

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2019, 08:08:11 AM »
Hi Leon,

I don't mind at all and thank you. The more people that know the answer the better.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2019, 10:57:56 PM »
Hi Leon,

I don't mind at all and thank you. The more people that know the answer the better.

:hellosign: 
              Thanks Leon & Chris certainley agree
          regards Derek.   :beers:

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations