!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hello from Herts  (Read 428 times)

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Hello from Herts
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 03:24:53 PM »
Hi Littorio and welcome to the forum. As you will have seen, there are plenty of people here who know something about something, so all questions can be answered  :). Personally, I am glad you are using Kato Unitrack. Some people say it is too rigid and plasticky  :no: there are plenty of ways round those 'problems'.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline gavin_t

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 08:23:06 PM »
Welcome

Also recently new and revisiting the hobby after a childhood hornby layout. So I am in the same boat with alot of learning to do. Lots has changed since I last looked that's for sure!

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 09:28:55 PM »
Welcome Littorio - I think you are fairly close to a few of us on Herts/Beds border (Tring and Dunstable to name a few places). If you are stuck for a DC Analogue controller I bought a Morley recently so I have a few spare controllers, and would be happy to loan or sell you a spare H&M controller if you are interested for your testing loop.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 09:31:37 PM »
darren,i thought you may have mentioned the friendly shed and its owner in wycombe - friendly atmosphere, welcome cuppa,railway discussions, bring a loco,ask for help- welcome vittorio

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 09:47:15 PM »
Of course, there is the friendly shed in High Wycombe - hopefully Bob will be on the Forum a bit later and offer up an invite for a visit (tea, cake and trains - how could anyone resist?). I will offer to provide transport, and drive us over, how's that?

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 09:53:49 PM »
that sounds very fun, friendly but after the bank holiday due to work, wedding ( bob 's daughter), family, commitments -anyway i digress - welcome to littorio

Offline Littorio

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 10:29:16 PM »
Guy's thank you for the continued welcome.

I'm over the other side of Hertfordshire in Cuffley near Cheshunt nearer to the Essex border. I also work shifts which does effect my ability to attend clubs etc, I found a local club in July who meet every Sunday morning however so far I've either worked or been away every Sunday since I found them.

Please do let me know me about the club though and if I can make it I'll try.

As for controller thank you however I'm looking at one of the Kato 'British' starter sets either the one by Gaugemaster or one by Osborns as I would like a modern diesel freight train to go with the HST. I'm trying to get the Saturday night off so I can attend TINGS for the first time on the Sunday of the show and plan to maybe pick up something there.
Just starting out

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 10:36:01 PM »
Welcome Littorio.  I am in Watford myself.  There are certainly a fair number of us around Herts and its boundaries.  I have been wedded to Peco track since I went N gauge in 1976 (and in OO before that).   My main interest is steam/green diesel transition.  But Allanbrae, my latest is broadly current Scottish in theme.   But I am interested to see how others have got on with Kato.  Diana Tape is an expert and making it look less plastiky.  I have used Gaugemaster controllers in the past and on my current layout Morley controllers.  To be honest not much between them in my personal view.  Gaugemaster has a switch to change direction.  Morley has a centre off on the knob so you turn it one way or the other.  Your choice!

Offline Portpatrick

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 10:37:49 PM »
Cuffley.  The chairman of my Model railway Society lives there.  South West Herts MRS.  Do Google us.

Offline Littorio

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2019, 11:07:09 PM »
Cuffley.  The chairman of my Model railway Society lives there.  South West Herts MRS.  Do Google us.

Well working Tuesday but may be able to make it depending how the day goes but I'm night shift Thursday so that is a no go.
Can/do I bring a train or how does the club meeting go?

Kato track holds no fear from me, as I'm a life long plastic modeller for my sins so airbrush, weathering powders and washes will have the plastic ballast sorted no problem when I get around to laying track.
Just starting out

Offline Portpatrick

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 11:43:00 PM »
The chairman and Treasurer, both N gaugers, normally appear on Tuesdays.   Alan and I appear on Thursdays.  There are other N gaugers who appear vaiously.  At present our 4 track main line layout, Dudley Frey is stacked against the wall and we have 3 extension boards for it being worked on - not yet wired up.  Alan and I have been working on the scenics for the first of the 3 boards.  So running anything is unlikely at the moment.  But between us all we have varied and years of experience in N gauge which we are happy to share.  Ron the Treasurer, Alan and I are all retired.  John the Chairman is a little younger.

There are 2 parts to the OO.  One lot are working on scenics for the modern image DCC layout.  The mainstream lot are rebuilding a layout purchased from former member of the club.  The OO lot have a branch terminus layout broadly assumed to be joint SR/GWR.   

You must have got the link to work.  My PC does not!  Might be worth your while calling John Davy if you found his number on the site.

Offline Littorio

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2019, 12:10:00 AM »
You must have got the link to work.  My PC does not!  Might be worth your while calling John Davy if you found his number on the site.

No, although I found the site via a Google search most of the site doesn't work but I did find the meeting location and a link for the exhibition with lovely yellow text on light blue background, sore eyes not  :goggleeyes:
Just starting out

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2019, 01:32:26 AM »
hope your visit to TINGS is a pleasant experience,  some of us will be there saturday. anyway if hertford way, you now have a couple of contacts- and then good luck with the project. this forum is a pleasant way to learn new skills and make new friends !!!  im sure if you would like a modern diesel freight train
there maybe sets around, were you thinking prototype block train eg freightliner, a variety of wagons ? i started with a class 25 and 6 wagons but not a set to see how i got on. keep up the good posting
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 01:55:47 AM by crewearpley40 »

Offline Littorio

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2019, 02:45:21 AM »
Well as I have a GNER Class 43 and I've read that EWS supplied the back up service via class 67's so I was aiming for one of those with a rake of wagons but I also like the class 66 Freightliner.

In the mean time I have collected a Schools, 64xx Pannier and a B1, bear in mind I've only been at it for two months.
Just starting out

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2019, 06:37:47 AM »
Thats an interesting collection. Definitely rule one. Anyway plenty of useful threads, tutorials, skills and talented modellers. We all try and help whatever the question

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here