!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: GWR Platform Canopies and Buildings  (Read 630 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
GWR Platform Canopies and Buildings
« on: August 02, 2019, 08:06:02 PM »
I'm in need of platform canopies for my layout inspired by Westbury Station. The link below is to an old postcard that shows the platforms presumably pre-WWII. They've not changed perceivably. The station can be seen on the left of the platforms, which are accessed via a subway.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westbury-Railway-Station-Photo-Trowbridge-Edington-Warminster-Lines-4/263393921795?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49131%26meid%3D4baf0b283ee64d60895feed68ade42fc%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D251585060681%26itm%3D263393921795&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

I'll be grateful if anyone can point me to a source for canopies of this type and buildings that would be suitable for my platforms (Metcalfe). My modelled platforms are probably more narrow than the real ones, but I'd like to use appropriate buildings if I can. Metcalfe has a canopy kit that would work well if I could turn it around 45 degrees. I'm not certain if I have the ability to "kitbash". I've trouble enough just building from printed instructions!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
Re: GWR Platform Canopies and Buildings
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 08:48:36 PM »
I can't think of anyone who makes canopies like that Leon. Anyway, they need to be the right width for your platforms. My best advice to help you is get some decent card, draw the correct shape at the right width, cut them out and make them yourself. It won't be that hard, try it. You can always move on to scratch-building your own locos later LOL! I REALLY would suggest a self-build. I have done this kind of thing and would be more than happy to give handy hints and I have a funny feeling that this forum is packed with others who would do the same.

Be brave and give it a go!
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 09:14:01 PM »
You could always try it on a piece of paper first until you are happy with the dimensions etc. If you measure the canopies in the ebay pic and then measure the width of your platforms you can work out a ratio on a calculator which will enable you to work out height etc. You could do the same for the curvy bits or just draw them free-hand. Such a paper mock-up can then act as a template for a card version. You will need 2 of course for each platform plus 4 strips which will form the sides of the canopies. If you wish you could use a ruler and gentle pressure with a craft knife to score (not cut) vertical lines to represent planking. Then you just need to cut rectangles to make the roof sections.

The columns would be lengths of plastic rod cut to the right height and painted. Being N gauge I doubt anyone would be looking under the canopies so you don't need to worry about bracing or frameworks to support the roof sections so it could be a simple job.

If you want to gain some confidence before trying this draw up the shapes for a simple house or shed and try that. Just 4 walls and a roof. Literally a box and glue it together. Then sit back and say, "I MADE THIS".

I genuinely feel that trying to modify a kit will be a lot harder.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 09:19:52 PM »
Damn, Chris! You make it sound so easy!!!   :claphappy: You've taken the time to think about it, though, so I'm willing to try to follow your suggestions - once I'm satisfied I'm not going to find a ready-made model or a kit.  :) I've never believed in re-inventing the wheel - if I can buy one.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Merrylee

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 09:26:00 PM »
You could try the laser cut plywood kit suppliers.
Iíve seen some who would adapt what they do suit modellers sketches/drawings.
Worth a try

Ron

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 09:27:53 PM »
But it can be simple Leon. I scratch-built a LNER C14 loco body many years ago. All it took was finding a nice side-on photo of the prototype then working out what shapes i needed to build it piece by piece. I cut the shapes out of brass sheet with a length of tube for the boiler and soldered the bits together. It's just the same as building a kit except you make the parts yourself. It just requires looking at your prototype and drawing it so you can cut the shapes out. If you do this you will find it achievable and will probably start thinking about making other models, you mark my words!

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 09:52:55 PM »
One day Leon, when you are tearing around your back garden on a 10 inch gauge UP Big Boy that you built in your barn you will look back at this thread and laugh,"That lunatic was RIGHT!"

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 11:33:06 PM »
I can't tell from the picture if they are supported by a central column of or if there are two rows?

Either way, I agree with Chris - shouldn't be too hard to knock those up. You could use supporting columns from existing kits such as Ratio. All you'd have to fabricate are the roof and fancy curved ends.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 11:40:40 PM »
I can't tell from the picture if they are supported by a central column of or if there are two rows?

There are 2 rows of columns. The downward-facing pointy bits of the canopy ends are over the columns. This is good news actually because the model canopies will be more stable which will make it an easier build IMHO.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 04:56:25 PM »
One day Leon, when you are tearing around your back garden on a 10 inch gauge UP Big Boy that you built in your barn you will look back at this thread and laugh,"That lunatic was RIGHT!"
Chris, I wish it was true! Everyone seems to forget I'm 81 years old (this month). There are limits, cognitively and physically! You'd be amazed by how difficult some of the most simple calculations are for me, now, and my eyes don't want to cooperate when I've managed to work out the measurements. And then, there is the fatigue factor.  :) You'll be thinking I'm ready to lie down and die, but I've got a bit left in me, still.  :D The job will get done, eventually.

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 08:44:34 PM »
You speak of calculations Leon. have you made a start on the canopies then? Or is it the 10 inch gauge Big Boy? :D

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 10:02:52 PM »
Chris, I don't even know what a 10 inch gauge Big Boy is! As to starting the canopies, my difficulties with calculations were incurred while working out the measurements for the platforms. In the end, I think I just proceeded on a "wing and a prayer". Just yesterday, I was testing a carriage alongside a platform and I'm not certain the platform is prototypical. I decided it suits my purposes, however. Maybe I'll have to proceed with the canopies in the same way - but if I had so much trouble with kits (used by many, many modellers) I can't imagine scratch building (though I'm trying to). I'm beginning to believe I need to abandon my desire to emulate, as much as possible Westbury Station and just use kits that are available for the track configuration I've created.

Leon

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 11:17:10 PM »
Have a look at yorkmodelrail.com for valances and canopy brackets.  If you can supply plans, Julie will laser-cut shapes to your design.
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Offline Merrylee

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 11:36:20 PM »
Also try inthegreenwoodlaser.co.uk.

They do some canopies and may be able to adapt one for you.

Ron

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 12:22:45 AM »
Also try inthegreenwoodlaser.co.uk.
They do some canopies and may be able to adapt one for you.
Ron

Ron,

This may be the source I've been searching for! I'll have to check dimensions, but there is certainly promise for a solution. Many thanks for the link!

Leon

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here