!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NGS Journal 4/19  (Read 4187 times)

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: NGS Journal 4/19
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2019, 04:15:52 PM »
The thumbnail photos on pages 8 & 9 of the 'What's new in N' were hopeless for me and required a magnifying glass.

My hands were tied on this one. These photos, alongside many of the others to do with the European trade reports, were submitted at small, screen-quality JPEGs. The author was not able to obtain better quality pictures in the time available, so we did the best we could with what we had!

In an ideal world, manufacturers would either send us the actual product to photograph ourselves (the Wagon Yard for example did that) or else provide print-quality images we can use 'as is'. But unfortunately this isn't always what happens.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline keerout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21976
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2019, 08:52:49 PM »
I like the new journal; cleaner, more laid-back, easy on the eye and less strident (if that is a word for it)
Yes good work!   :thumbsup:
Gerard

Online silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2019, 01:04:00 PM »
I think the new layout works much better with the A5 size journal, as itís much less cluttered.

I also like the more modern fonts, I thought that the previous journals looked a bit old fashioned but in the end itís the content that counts.

:NGaugersRule:

Offline ngaugepaul

• N Gauge Society Number: 8105
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2019, 04:46:26 PM »
I would like to commend what has been referred to by others as to the "cleaner" look of the latest edition.
Also impressed with the cover photo.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2019, 05:07:33 PM »
Firstly

:claphappy: @NeMo, I had no idea you are Neale and are our new editor, I like the fact you (as far as I know) are a big contributor to the NGF, not to say our previous editor was, I don't know.

I too like the layout of the journal, now I'm not saying this to make enemies, but regarding the size of the journal, KEEP IT A5. I know there was arguments for it changing but I didn't like the way the previous editor used the fact it had to change for him to stay. Yes everything changes with time all in the name of progress but occasionally it's nice to stay traditional and I'm all for staying A5.

I hope that we as modellers keep submitting material for the journal to carry on and wish you and the current team all the very best in keeping this rolling on and landing on our doormats.

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2019, 09:25:22 PM »
Still waiting for my copy to finish its journey across the pond, but even before it arrives I want to thank @NeMo for directly engaging with his readership on the forum.

When he was appointed editor I expressed the hope that the Journal and the NGF forged stronger links, so having Neale both solicit and respond to feedback in this way is fantastic. I also think that this will encourage forum members to submit content for future issues, myself included.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2019, 10:48:03 PM »
Me too. I've got the germ of an article rolling around in my head now! (no wisecracks, thank you, Mick....)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2019, 03:51:07 PM »
I liked the new journal layout but IMHO it would still be a significant improvement if it was a4. In particular you could have larger pictures which would be good.

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2019, 04:32:33 PM »
Understood.

However... NGS Journal size not changing any time soon, and certainly for the rest of the year (which I'm concerned with right now) it'll be A5.

Cheers, NeMo

I liked the new journal layout but IMHO it would still be a significant improvement if it was a4. In particular you could have larger pictures which would be good.
NGS Journal Editor

Offline ngaugepaul

• N Gauge Society Number: 8105
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2019, 05:24:58 PM »
Perhaps its just me getting old and I am stuck in my ways (thats what the wife says) but a number of years ago when I used to belong to the Swiss Railway Society they increased the size of their magazine from A5 to A4 and I definitely preferred the smaller size.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2019, 05:35:38 PM »
Understood.

However... NGS Journal size not changing any time soon, and certainly for the rest of the year (which I'm concerned with right now) it'll be A5.

Cheers, NeMo

Hi Neal

Without wishing to stir the pot - we're already nearly in August! Aug to Dec is not a long time. Whilst I agree it makes sense to wait until a calendar year end, the decision needs to be made and personally I think communicated to the members as if nothing else it will put the debate to bed!

Cheers Mike

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2019, 06:18:20 PM »
Without wishing to stir the pot - we're already nearly in August! Aug to Dec is not a long time. Whilst I agree it makes sense to wait until a calendar year end, the decision needs to be made and personally I think communicated to the members as if nothing else it will put the debate to bed!

And with all due respect, @red_death, this is something the NGS Committee decides on, not me alone.

The issue was discussed at the AGM yesterday, and as you are presumably aware, there was a roughly equal split in favour of A4 and A5. The Committee continues to discuss the issue, but personally, I don't see any burning need for a change. People seem much more interested in the upcoming Hunslet shunter, the next RTR project, and the continued availability of the NGS kits, not to mentioning filling the various roles within the NGS that are necessary to keeping it viable.

I'd argue that Grahame elevated the issue to crisis level when all there was is within the NGS was a vague "maybe it'd be nice to have an A4 magazine sometime". Perhaps you know better?

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2019, 09:11:56 PM »
I think you are misinterpreting my posts and I'm not sure why you felt the need to bring Grahame into it (and certainly not accuse him of elevating the issue to crisis level). That is unnecessarily personal. Nor did I say or imply that you alone were responsible for any decision.

My points were quite simple really with no hidden intention or criticism:

- my view is A4 is preferable and gives you greater flexibility (and a better product for the NGS). There are many reasons why commercial mags are largely A4.

- you replied that no change would be made before the end of the year (which I agreed with)

- I pointed out that in practical terms that doesn't leave much time and that actually making (ie the NGS Committee) a clear decision (one way or the other) would help make things clearer for everyone. Particularly as you've already said there is effectively only one chance per year to make such change - so there is a degree of urgency in a decision being made.

I have no idea what was discussed at yesterday's AGM but unless it was significantly more representative than previous AGMs then it would only represent a tiny fraction of membership.

As an aside my understanding is that previously the Committee had agreed in principle to switch to A4 but not the timing. Obviously much has changed since then and I don't believe that you and other new office holders should have to be held to that decision.

I'm sorry that you seem to have taken any of my comments as any form of implied criticism.

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2019, 09:29:33 PM »
I think you are misinterpreting my posts and I'm not sure why you felt the need to bring Grahame into it (and certainly not accuse him of elevating the issue to crisis level). That is unnecessarily personal. Nor did I say or imply that you alone were responsible for any decision.
It's not personal. It's a matter of record that Grahame said that unless the Journal switched to A4 format by July of this year, he would step down from the role of Editor. People are free to make of that what they will.

- my view is A4 is preferable and gives you greater flexibility (and a better product for the NGS). There are many reasons why commercial mags are largely A4.
Nobody disagrees with this. But as indicated, there are other issues to consider than simply making the Journal look prettier. Reselling adverts at new rates; disposal of redundant A5 binders; pricing up the postage; and finding the best way to package supplementary materials like Handbook updates are all involved. So as I say, whether or not I agree with you is hardly relevant (and broadly I do) but it's a Committee decision and I'm not going to commit to anything here either way.

- you replied that no change would be made before the end of the year (which I agreed with)
But you were tacitly implying that I (or more properly, the NGS Committee) were time wasting ("we're already nearly in August! Aug to Dec is not a long time") and need to get on with making a change to A4 format. So far as I know, the Committee is no closer to making that decision than it was before the AGM. As soon as a decision is reached, it'll be put to the Society in the usual way.

- I pointed out that in practical terms that doesn't leave much time and that actually making (ie the NGS Committee) a clear decision (one way or the other) would help make things clearer for everyone. Particularly as you've already said there is effectively only one chance per year to make such change - so there is a degree of urgency in a decision being made.
The urgency is entirely on your part. To the best of my knowledge the Journal will be A5 for the foreseeable future. As Editor, I'm certainly not giving it much thought, and instead focusing on attracting in new writers and new photographers, editing the submitted material, and working with the publisher to deliver as good a Journal as possible in terms of content and readability.

I'm sorry that you seem to have taken any of my comments as any form of implied criticism.
Apology kindly accepted, and I hope this clarifies my point of view as well.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2019, 10:09:38 PM »
I totally understand both points, Neale you did say you were considering a change from January, which I inferred (possibly wrongly) as 2020, and to Mikeís point that isnít very long at all.

Itís wholly understandable, and indeed desirable to me, that you spend time getting your feet under the table and focusing on journal content (and based on this issue itís looking great) rather than size, but as youíre sort of doing now why not just put the issue to bed and say itíll remain A5 through 2020 and any change can be considered from 2021. 

« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 10:10:40 PM by njee20 »

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal