!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wagon Repairs  (Read 379 times)

Offline Platy767

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Wagon Repairs
« on: July 22, 2019, 04:41:21 AM »
A little update on recent repairs, re-wheeling and assembly from downunder.
I tried a PECO 9' chassis assembly the other day. Was fortunate to find one (steel solebar) over at Woodpecker MR.

I also reassembled and re-wheeled an old Graham Hughes GNoS 3 plank that had fallen on the floor and broken to bits. It is still showing signs of damage, but it now travels steadily down the track. Still needs new couplers.

I re-wheeled a NE hopper, but it still needs new couplers

...and finally put some wheels into a Graham Hughes whitemetal NB Van made up on a modified 2mmSA Uniframe chassis. This still needs decorating and couplers and a roof!

Mark

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Wagon Repairs
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 05:16:50 AM »
Nice work.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 09:21:20 AM »
Nice work and some lovely unusual prototypes.

I've got three of those NER hoppers in my unfinished projects pile. Having now seen yours, I'm going to have to dig them out and finish them!  ;)

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 10:00:09 AM »
I may be wrong, but I think I can remember those old NE wagons lying around in NCB yards as a kid. Memories!

Nice model!  :beers:

Offline Platy767

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 11:17:23 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments. I also like the NE hopper as a prototype. I must do something about the daylight between the springs and chassis!

...and I now think the NB van is a waste of a chassis. It will probably end up as a dilapidated van on the ground. I had a look back at my copy of "Wagons from Kits" by Geoff Balfour and he concluded of the Graham Hughes range "only the North British van falls short of an acceptable standard". I should have taken note before I started!

Mark

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 11:57:08 AM »
I think you're being a little bit hard on yourself there, Mark.

That's a much better job than I could ever hope to achieve, and with a coat of paint, and being undercarriage, in this scale, you'll get away it!

As long as it's smooth running.

Still, if it it bugs you, you'll probably want to fix it. I'm a bit like that myself!  :thumbsup:

Offline PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 08:04:57 PM »
A nice collection!

BTW, where does one acquire those coal hoppers? I have looked everywhere (I thought) and failed to turn up any except the much-commented Slater's offering in 4mm.

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 08:20:10 PM »
BTW, where does one acquire those coal hoppers? I have looked everywhere (I thought) and failed to turn up any except the much-commented Slater's offering in 4mm.

Hi Pete,

The NER hopper wagon is a 2mm Scale Association kit. It has a plastic body and an etched chassis (purchased separately) and needs buffers, bearings, conversion axles, etc to complete.

Offline Platy767

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 07:56:07 AM »
@PeteW

As StevieDC says, the 2mm Scale Association has the plastic body and etched chassis (and other bits required), but
I also have an un-assembled white metal 21T NE hopper from Thameshead Models, that I will eventually get around to.

It's been quite interesting for me to rummage through my glory boxes and see what kits and bits I acquired from the early '90s, and stored away, so I could be fully occupied post employment. Some have even come (and gone) as production models like the 14XX and autocoach (Langley), D11(GEM) and J11(Graham Hughes) and LNER Gresley coaches (Ultima).

Mark

Offline PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 02:15:05 PM »
@Stevie DC @Platy767

Thanks, chaps. I shall go off and investigate  :thumbsup:

Offline Platy767

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 07:23:12 AM »
Hi PeteW,

I've had a go at my other NE Hopper build. It is a Thameshead TM7 Whitemetal assembly. I think I picked it up from BH Enterprises a long time ago.

Although called a 21T hopper, it could be a similar diagram to the 2mmSA model, but is larger and more likely N gauge. I missed out on getting brake gear in the packet, so will have to make something up. Detail is basic, but the solebar detail is nice.

Side by side:

Mark

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations