!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Osborn's Models GWR wagon kits  (Read 828 times)

Offline twinklekev

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9777
    • Awards
Osborn's Models GWR wagon kits
« on: July 20, 2019, 04:57:35 PM »
Afternoon NGF fraternity,

Has anybody out there built any of the Osborn's GWR N gauge wagon kits? If you have could you let me know what you thought of them please. I'm seriously thinking about the W3 and W5 cattle wagons.

Many thanks,

Twinklekev.

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
Re: Osborn's Models GWR wagon kits
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 06:09:52 PM »
I've built the outside framed brake van and found the kit rather enjoyable. You have to be careful not to break any of the fiddly bits though.

[Edit] I posted pics when I did it, so here they are :)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 06:12:27 PM by zwilnik »

Offline Stuarted

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 10:28:30 PM »

I have made the fruit van; I chose the kit as a step up from putting together the Peco wagon kits. I thought the instructions were clear and it wasnít difficult to put together. Overall an enjoyable experience. However, the small transfers are a challenge.

Offline John The Wino

• N Gauge Society Number: 19378
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 12:23:38 PM »
Love these kits, but having trouble getting the card roof to curve for the Mogo B. the card is thicker/harder than their Toads (must take some up-to-date photos).  Can I dampen it before rolling ? Help ! Here's an out-of-date "work in progress"
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 12:30:53 PM by John The Wino, Reason: Add a photo »
Live Long and Prosper

Offline twinklekev

• N Gauge Society Number: 9777
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 01:54:47 PM »
Thank you gentlemen for all your replies. You have been most helpful.

Twinklekev.

Offline PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 02:38:15 PM »
Love these kits, but having trouble getting the card roof to curve for the Mogo B. the card is thicker/harder than their Toads (must take some up-to-date photos).  Can I dampen it before rolling ? Help ! Here's an out-of-date "work in progress"

Hi

For making curved rooves I use a piece of 0.010Ē (0.25mm) plasticard that I tape to a piece of 22mm copper pipe. This is then covered with boiling water and left for a couple of minutes. It is then cooled under the cold tap before removing the tape.

The diameter of the copper pipe depends on the curvature of the roof but Iíve found 22mm ok for my Ferry vans.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline John The Wino

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 02:46:35 PM »
Thanks  Paul, I will bear that in mind; at the moment the roof is a card one supplied with the kit. Rolling it with an x-acto handle over cork underlay does not seem to work, so I may adopt your technique. I will dampen the card and try that first. Keep safe
Live Long and Prosper

Offline John The Wino

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 05:00:33 PM »
Hello Paul, I noted your method to curve a roof and, because it is card, came up with a similar solution: using an old plastic Vitamin container and cut it at about third point.
Then cut along the smaller piece giving a natural clamp. I soaked the roof in water for a few moments and then clamped it onto the uncut tube with the sliced piece, and left it overnight.
It has come out fine
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 05:02:42 PM by John The Wino, Reason: To attach photos »
Live Long and Prosper

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal