!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Track Cleaning with the CMX wagon  (Read 235 times)

Offline Michael P

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Track Cleaning with the CMX wagon
« on: July 14, 2019, 01:21:52 PM »
Hi,

So I have purchased a cmx cleaning wagon, recommended by a friend who uses one on his OO scale layout.  My existing engines are a range of smaller steam units which I didn't expect (and have found to be correct) able to push or pull the cmx unit around my layout.  I have always intended to buy a more powerful/heavier engine to propel the unit around the layout so the only issue is the choice of power unit.

Due to the nature of my layout a significant portion is either hidden or hard to reach hence the cmx unit.  Total layout track length is about 150m, with probably only 50m really easy to get at. Just to make things more challenging my layout has two helix with maximum gradients of 2.3%.  Layout is DCC controlled so a DCC friendly unit would be better.

My question is aimed at users of the cmx unit and asking what engines they use to pull it around?  is it possible with just one unit or will I need to use a double header?  So I can keep it in vague historical era's I was thinking of an early period deltic unit, due to its size and period.

Engine recommendations would be gratefully heard. :helpneededsign:

thank you

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Track Cleaning with the CMX wagon
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 01:39:06 PM »
Sounds like a job for Union Mills! :beers:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 01:40:31 PM »
I'm not an owner of a CMX,  but if you're looking for powerful British N diesels the old Minitrix class 27 and later version Minitrix Warship are strong haulers - though neither are DCC ready (can be hard-wired).  The strongest British N loco I have is my CJM 59, but of course that's not DCC ready either (and not exactly cheap).

I've not been particularly impressed by the haulage capabilities of the few Farish and Dapol diesels I've come across.  Mind you, my main interest is continental where there are plenty of powerful DCC ready locos to choose from :-)
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 05:05:47 PM »
I think this needs a call to International Rescue Union Mills as stated above

Offline Michael P

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 06:03:32 PM »
Pardon my ignorance. Are you saying union mills because of their weight due to the metal construction?

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 06:04:37 PM »
I think this needs a call to International Rescue Union Mills as stated above

Indeed - my impression, based solely on the 2F and 3F that I have, is that if other brands have trouble pulling the skin off a rice pudding a UM loco won't bat an eyelid at pulling not only the skin but also the entire pudding, pot and stove  ;)

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 06:05:53 PM »
Pardon my ignorance. Are you saying union mills because of their weight due to the metal construction?

Yep - they have a superb combination of both power and traction.

Offline Michael P

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 06:20:34 PM »
 :thankyousign:Thank you for the suggestion. Looks like I have some web time ahead  :thumbsup:

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 06:50:35 PM »
@Michael P , I ought to clarify that I don't own any Union Mills locos, though I hope to change that within the month. However I've read many a ringing endorsement here, such that I have total faith in their tractive effort.

I recommend you browse the Union Mills board. :beers:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 07:11:59 PM »
I have no skin in this game as I don't run steam.

BUT AFAIK Union Mills models are not DCC friendly, see OP. They can be converted but that may involve sending them away.

I would also recommend pushing the CMX rather than pulling.

I have a CMX and I double tail it with a couple of Farish 66's. If you're track gets very dirty having two loco's doubles the chances of not getting stuck in a tunnel as you now have double the pickup's.

Regards,

John P

Online Luke Piewalker

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 08:05:10 PM »
I have a Bachmann dd40ax to pull/push mine. Not prototypical for a UK layout, but good for checking lineside clearance, and it came with dcc built in. And a flashing orange light on top.

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 02:19:43 PM »
I have an old Farrish Class 37 that pushes mine around quite successfully, even on my flyover.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Online Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 12:03:38 PM »
I use a Dapol Class 56 that is outside my modelled eras, and kept specifically for the purpose. It is slowed quite a bit by the weight but does manage significant gradients. I think a Deltic should manage it, I haven’t tried one of mine yet.
Double header would definitely be more certain.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £90.00
Below Goal: £70.00
Site Currency: GBP
56% 
July Donations

Advertise Here