!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Any grounding issues on your Kato track?  (Read 690 times)

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Any grounding issues on your Kato track?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2019, 09:54:34 AM »
It's not the ideal for a realistic model railway

I agreee with what @NeMo says apart from the above quote. (Sorry Nemo). Whilst I agree that it is not ideal, I like to think that a lot of the 'Averingcliffe' layout, (https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=44061.msg551620#msg551620) has been made to look quite realistic. Well, I like it anyway.  :P
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 10:01:17 AM »
Oh, totally agree with you @dannyboy! Did my own Kato Unitrack layout some years back, and gussied up the track good enough for my own pleasure.

By not ideal I mean that you're dealing with HO track with non-British spacing to the sleepers; it's Code 80 rather than Code 55 (or better!); and of course you're limited to set-track radii and sectional pieces. The Unitrack pieces are also rather high because of the deep, shouldered ballast, which means carriages ride well above any platforms placed directly on the baseboard, and you're also dealing with limited clearance under things like tunnels and goods sheds unless you make allowances and raise these structures accordingly.

Cheers, NeMo

NGS Journal Editor

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2019, 10:14:39 AM »
Again, I am agreeing with you @NeMo , but a lot depends on ones own requirements and need for accuracy. I did not know that it has non-British sleeper spacing until you just mentioned it. The set-track pieces can be changed slightly by careful use of a fine tooth saw and, whist the ballast shoulder is high compared with, say, Peco, it is easy enough to raise adjacent structures.  For my totally fictitious any era/location you want layout, I love it! Horses for courses etc.  :)  Incidentally, I like the weathering on the track in the picture.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2019, 10:19:15 AM »
Incidentally, I like the weathering on the track in the picture.  :thumbsup:

One thing I have learned in this hobby is that there are very few problems that cannot be hidden with a quick spray of grime-coloured paint out of a cheap airbrush!

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Online Railwaygun

• N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 10:52:50 AM »
This is one of the problems with the Unijoiners - they can be a little loose. I've noticed this with my small test oval of Unitrack.  It's the price you pay for a track system that's designed for rapid and repeated assembly and disassembly.   Properly securing the track to the baseboard should improve matters and level the joints.

Quick PSA: you can buy replacement joiners for a few quid, e.g., here:

https://www.traintrax.co.uk/24815-unijoiner-p-323.html

There's a tool that comes with many if not all Unitrack starter kits specifically for removing the joiners, should you need to do so. It's not really worth struggling with poor connections when a fix is quickly delivered by using new joiners.

Cheers, NeMo

PS FWIW, @Invicta Alec, I've never had problems with 'Westerns' on Unitrack, but neither of my 9Fs (despite having the pony truck spring kit fitted) will ride through Unitrack points reliably, either then #4 or #6 designs.

a small screwdriver blade inserted at the end of the unijoiner and twisted will eject them easily

Kato Unitrack is

bulletproof
flexible
reusable indefinitely(almost)
has built in point motors
plug'n play wiring
ready to run for DCC
links to tramtrack/P*C*
is easily scenicked

has occasional problems!

anyone care to do a comparison with Peco?? (or add any advantages)

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 04:18:24 AM »
One thing I have learned in this hobby is that there are very few problems that cannot be hidden with a quick spray of grime-coloured paint out of a cheap airbrush!

I've not learned that trick, yet, but have learned that no track system is perfect, a lot of locomotives don't run well, and there is any number of problems building a layout!
One of these days I'll get to the point of running my trains and just before I do that I'm going to have to replace a few points that were gummed up when I ballasted. In my limited experience, there are always problems to overcome.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal