!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sons first layout  (Read 809 times)

Offline Zaak

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Sons first layout
« on: July 12, 2019, 02:27:36 PM »
Hello All

I have just made my youngest son a loft bed and he has decided he would like a model railway under it.
The space he has is 83cm X 55cm is it possible to build something interesting on that size board as I do not want him to get bored after 5 minutes.
He's six so no era in general he can run what he likes.
Any ideas ???

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:30:57 PM by Zaak »

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
Re: Sons first layout
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 03:07:29 PM »
83x55 might be challenging  :D

but here are 3 small and interesting plans (attention some links show a german language site, in doubt just ask):
90x70: http://www.moba-trickkiste.de/wie-macht-man-planen/datenbank-gleisplaene.html?id=86&task=view&total=15&start=14
88x73: http://www.moba-trickkiste.de/wie-macht-man-planen/datenbank-gleisplaene.html?id=286&task=view&total=15&start=0
20x45: http://flaxengaterailway.co.uk/trackplan/

I know all 3 plans have at least one measurement out of size... but just for ideas. Eg. the last one (Flaxengate) could be possible if a longer and not so large place could be freed...

Something more in line (with the measurements):
60x60: http://www.scottpages.net/PizzaN.htm but this is just a roundy-roundy... nothing to switch and shunt for your youngster

Here is a H0e plan (125x25). Maybe it could be adapted or used as an inspiration: http://www.moba-trickkiste.de/wie-macht-man-planen/datenbank-gleisplaene.html?id=28&task=view&total=2&start=1
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 03:15:52 PM by AlexanderJesse »
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline Zaak

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 03:22:00 PM »
Thanks for the very quick reply I will take a good look at them thanks again

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 03:25:33 PM »
hmm... that is very small, little more than an oval of smallest radius track as you might find in a basic start set.  Very tricky to do much that's "interesting" in that sort of space.

Certainly stick to just a small but reliable loco and a few short wagons or 4-wheel coaches, which are probably easier for a youngster to handle anyway.  Something like the Arnold Treno Merci set comes to mind, it has a simple 6 wheel diesel shunter and a couple of wagons and sometimes to be found for sale quite cheaply.  Even this set requires something like 107cm x 40cm though.
https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/arnold-goods-train-european-n-scale-1-160.html

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 03:43:11 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 04:05:04 PM »
I'd recommend Kato track. It's available in various starter packs with a controller and it also has some handy super tight radius curves and points that are great for dockyard or micro layouts.

Because it's easy to snap together and take apart, it'll be a good one for a first layout because it can always be taken up and re-arranged if the layout expands (Copydex is a decent way of fixing it to a board and can easily be removed later).

Short wheelbase stuff is always going to work better on small layouts, plus it tends to look better.

Online Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 06:00:33 PM »
Download SCARM https://www.scarm.info/index.php set your baseboard size and plan your layout

Offline Zaak

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 07:08:48 PM »
Do they have a android version of that sort of software as I'm using a mobile ??

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 07:28:49 PM »
Do they have a android version of that sort of software as I'm using a mobile ??

Nope. Scarm is windoze only (running on Linux under Wine).

Android. If you use a tablet you could try https://www.traxeditor.com/index.php/ an online track-editor. Works reasonably well for snap-tracksystems (as kato...), a bit nasty when using flextracks. For flat layouts quite useable. Elevated tracks is more difficult. But worth a try.

Maybe you could consider a foldable layout. Have a shunting layout as the base with folddown oval extension. When closed it could serve as a vitrine/display and shunting only. When opened itwould deliver a roundy...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:31:53 PM by AlexanderJesse »
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline Zaak

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 07:55:09 PM »
That is a interesting option to look at thanks for all the help I appreciate it all.

Online Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 09:56:00 PM »
@Zaak  scroll down this page http://www.cke1st.com/m_train2.htm there are some small layouts here, ok they are US based but you can adapt them, or you can run US stock of course (it can be  cheaper)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 10:06:48 PM »
Here's a little something might have some potential, using Peco code 55 right hand point (SL-E391F x 1 off), left hand point (SL-E392F x 3 off) and the rest is code 55 flexitrack.
The blue outline baseboard is correct size at 83cm x 55cm and I'd recommend using one or more 9" tracksetta tools to set the curves before you lay points should you decide to proceed.
I did try with Kato 249mm curves and #4 points but just couldn't get the geometry to fit the baseboard (maybe someone else can).

Note that using 9" radius curves will limit the type of UK loco that can be run

Offline Zaak

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 04:06:37 PM »
Thanks for all the help I think we will be going with that track plan newporthobby thanks. What locos would think would be best he likes steam engines.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 04:12:26 PM »
I think you'll find some medium to large steamers won't like the small radii curves so I would tend to stick to tank engines such as 0-6-0 and 2-6-2. The small loops and sidings will also limit you/him to maybe 2 coaches and about half a dozen wagons in each. If you're unsure where to place insulated rail joins (IRJs) as opposed to the normal metal joiners ask away.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 04:14:09 PM »
For a youngster I'd say stick to the simple small steamers which don't have lots of delicate parts.   You have to bear in mind that so many models are now considered "not suitable for children under 14".   

I always used to reckon on the old Minitrix "dock tank" was suitable for little'uns.  They're out of production now but still to be found 2nd hand in good condition.

Probably NOT a Dapol simply due to the finer rods and fiddly parts.  One of the older Farish 0-6-0 locos perhaps? Do Farish still do a simple "start set"?  I'm not clued up on British N these days.   

I'm trying to think of what continental start sets are out there with a simple steamer, and struggling to be honest.  There used to be nice sets from the likes of Minitrix, Arnold and Fleischmann but again not much in current production as far as I can see.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 04:19:23 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2019, 04:41:58 PM »
For a youngster I'd say stick to the simple small steamers which don't have lots of delicate parts.   You have to bear in mind that so many models are now considered "not suitable for children under 14".   

I always used to reckon on the old Minitrix "dock tank" was suitable for little'uns.  They're out of production now but still to be found 2nd hand in good condition.

Probably NOT a Dapol simply due to the finer rods and fiddly parts.  One of the older Farish 0-6-0 locos perhaps? Do Farish still do a simple "start set"?  I'm not clued up on British N these days.   

I'm trying to think of what continental start sets are out there with a simple steamer, and struggling to be honest.  There used to be nice sets from the likes of Minitrix, Arnold and Fleischmann but again not much in current production as far as I can see.

You'll find a lot of the German Minitrix T3 tanks on auction sites for not much money. They're basically the same chassis as the dock tank but with a different body. Pretty much bomb proof and very easy to maintain.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
December Donations

Advertise Here