!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: DCC blanking chips  (Read 152 times)

Offline fastmoggy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
DCC blanking chips
« on: July 11, 2019, 08:41:55 AM »
Bought a new Dapol  hymek last week which was not running too good but as it was new I thought it just needed running it, had a few like that which are now my finest runners.
On this one the problem persisted until a total failure after only 3 hours of use.
On taking the body off  noticed the wires had just about melted, the loco wasn't running hot so never noticed.
What caught my eye though was that the blanking DCC chip was numbered 1-6 , something I've not really seen on my other locos. I heard on another forum that a loco even fitted with a decoder could run on DC as the motherboard would auto detect but would require more power to run which would explain the burn out.
Now I know that might be a myth but could that ever be possible and do blanking chips come with numbered pins?
As you probably gathered , I don't do DCC...…………………….yet  :confused1:

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
Re: DCC blanking chips
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 08:59:12 AM »
Hi;

Send it back for replacement, if its only done three hours running.

Yes, blanking plates do come numbered so that they can be installed the correct way round. And yes, chipped locos will run on dc (unless they are programmed not to-one of their user options). The design of the loco wiring should be capable of carrying the current needed if a chipped loco is run on dc.

Running a loco with a blanking plate on dc should not cause any problems-its what its designed to do. I had a similar problem with a Dapol Britannia, which was replaced when returned. Sounds as if there was a problem in assembly.

Marytyn

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 09:58:57 AM »
It's not really helpful to think that a decoder fitted loco running on DC would draw more current than a plain vanilla DC model:  the actual additional current a decoder uses for its microprocessor etc. is very very small - a few microAmps.   Absolutely no way should that affect the wiring requirements and/or cause any sort of "burn out".

It IS true that a DCC decoder typically needs around 6 volts to full wake up and then recognise that it is running on DC not DCC, so the running characteristics of a DCC fitted loco when fed on DC are different to a plain DC version in terms of the position on the control knob at which it will start to move.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 10:04:48 AM »
I'm not aware of any decoders with numbered pins FWIW, it reads a bit like you were considering that labelled pins may mean that you've got a decoder?

Just return the loco as said, I had a Dapol HST that did similar years ago, melted the roof of the body too.

Offline fastmoggy

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 11:09:49 AM »
Thanks to everyone who replied. Good news, my replacement is on its way  :claphappy:
Just a thought though, ive got 31 locos and out of that over the past 20 years ive only ever had 5 failures
2, 20 year old  farish class 44's  :( with split gears the other 3 were Dapol and all less than 2 months old.
I've always regarded Dapol locos as super reliable but perhaps maybe ive bought items that have been on the shelfs several years as im sure the Britannia's have been out of production for a while now but you still see the 'brand new' in the description if your on fleabay!

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 11:36:36 AM »
Dapol's QC is a contentious topic, some people will tell you that all their models are dodgy, others have had few problems. Their latest models seem to be better built though, the 68 is really nicely put together.

I've only had one Dapol loco be a problem (the aforementioned HST), and I've had a handful of split gears on Farish locos. Six of one...

Offline fastmoggy

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 05:12:37 PM »
Hi, just to reiterate, I've found all my Dapol's very reliable hence my new purchases but unfortunately the last 3 were all problematic although the Britannia may have been a victim of the mail service! On saying that I was watching a chap on YouTube show off his new class 66 which looked like it had hit the buffers for real, the front end buffers were bent up and the bogie had become detached and the box it came in was around an inch shorter when it arrived! So not a unique problem by any standards.
Id love to be able to go to a shop in person but unfortunately they both closed  (beaties and gee dees) so have to rely on the postal service.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything