!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish 4 wheeler repair  (Read 765 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Farish 4 wheeler repair
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 05:38:24 AM »
That's the one..... shame to pull it to bits though  :(
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 02:12:25 PM »
Thanks Platy767, ive just bought a Fleischmann to have a test run with.

Theres mention of a donor Peco brake van, is that a 6 wheeler? if so which is it and how much cut n shut is needed?

Are there any other option of adding the central wheelset in any other way from any member on here?

Im wondering if the Fleischmann clerestory roof might then go on a shredded wheat 4 wheeler to make a 'fictional' coach, I rather like the Clerestory look.

Offline PGN

• N Gauge Society Number: 7306
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 06:52:11 PM »
That's the one.

The footboards come away when you take them apart. They have a big flat lug which slides up between the coach side and the glazing insert. You have to cut this off and glue the footboards to the solebar if you want to have them. This is easily done with a little liquid poly ... but nowadays I generally prefer to run them without.
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2020, 09:50:20 AM »
The original post started with adding brass replacement axle pivot bushes. Where do I buy these from?

Ive bought some more Fleishmann coaches for chassis donors for my LMS 4 wheelers, then gone digging in my projects box and come up with 2 sets of Shredded Wheat coaches, ive also found some of my 'seats' card prints so I can see a few happy hours of work, ( I already have a 'special Shredded Wheat set' with motorised loco, [Farish starter set chassis], elsie couplings and interiors - its an infrequent conversation piece at the club). I'm also looking for a Farish Teak 4 wheeler plain coach (not brake), if anybody has one lurking awaiting a new home.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 06:19:32 PM »
Where do I buy these from?

Parkside Dundas used to sell them.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
Re: Farish 4 wheeler repair - seats
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2020, 12:46:58 PM »
Some of you may remember me making an artwork to print paper interiors to cut n fold to make seats and bulkheads for Shredded wheat.

Ive just started on another set of Shredded Wheat to morph into something else, ive also got my Farish 'Gaffer' train set and my LMS pair of 4 wheelers all without interiors so I was thinking of a different approach. An old Farish Suburban has seats doesnt it? so off with its roof to extract the interior. Unfortunately the windows pitch is a bit different so I had to do a bit of cut n shut to fit inside a Shredded.

With double sided tape and a spot of superglue I adhered them inside a scrap kids cheese/biscuits pot and filled with silicone mould resin.
A day later and I could cast in polyurethane resin. The floor between seats is so thin that I dropped in offcuts of broken jewellers saw blade to stiffen things a bit.

Result - i have a mould and can make seats quickly, there is a problem in that the seat base tops (the bit your bottom goes on), is almost flush with the Shredded window ledges, im going to have to file the completed insert  on the cast floor thickness to lowere it a tad.

So --- its a 'near enough is good enough' job as nobody is really going to take a close look; these coaches just benefit from having bulkheads and a bit of detail to stop your eyesight seeing diagonal across coach windows. window glazing is coming from salvaged boxes from the grandkids Christmas presents .

And now for the next stage....

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 12:51:43 PM by Fredastaire »

Offline Platy767

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2020, 05:57:02 AM »
The original post started with adding brass replacement axle pivot bushes. Where do I buy these from?

I bought them many years ago from the 2mm Scale Association. Current code is 2-041, Bearings: Turned Brass: Top Hat for Pinpoint Axles.  Website for Shop 2 is: http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/shops.php?shop_num=2
Sales are for members only, but if you want access to some other interesting wagon kits as well, I would recommend a membership.

As Dr Al says Parkside Dundas (Now part of Peco?) used to have them. There is another type of cone bearing, but I find the shouldered Top Hat bearing easier to use.

Mark

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal