!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Coniston Railway  (Read 624 times)

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Coniston Railway
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 01:11:11 PM »
Phew !!!

Having made all the baseboards and transport cases/legs I did a test fitting in the car this morning - and my measurements worked out OK, they do all fit in;

Each of the flatter boxes will hold half of the scenic side of a baseboard and also double up as one of the legs upon which to stand the fully assembled board. The box at the top-left will hold up to two fiddle yards, a total of four half-boards.
I've even got about  a foot spare either in front of or behind the stack for fitting in stuff like stock boxes, cables, control panels, etc. Definitely no room for Coniston as well, though.

A test fitting has also confirmed that I can fit them all in the spare room, including Coniston, with a  few inches to spare - although it will be a bit of a shimmy to get through between the foot of the spare bed and Woodland when I set that up.

Just a few more mods to do to the cases/legs - adding retainers or fixings to stop the contents rattling around - then I can set Torver's board up ready to start tracklaying.

However, before I start that, I have a few jobs to do on Coniston - mostly wiring. I've a couple of "issues" to fix, wiring and cables to add for the signals, the control panel to finish and cabling to add for power takeoff for the other stations. I also need to break the existing track to insert the points to allow connection to the other stations.
When I want a break from wiring I can do a bit of tracklaying/testing on Torver, then go back to the wiring, etc.  As I get further along I may add the Woodland boards and have three on the go at once. Hopefully I'll really have Coniston finished before I start on Broughton.

The plan is to wire each of the other stations so that their power and control can be varied;
I'll set them up initially so that they can all be powered and controlled from Coniston, although with their own mimic boards for points, etc., but build in the option to plug in a controller so that they can each be run completely independently. I'll then add a further option to have Torver powered and controlled from Coniston and to have Woodland powered and controlled from Broughton so that more than one train can be run at once, crossing at Woodland.
There's no point in having independent control for Torver in a full setup since Woodland to Coniston was all one block section so more than one train at once wasn't permitted. Even a stop at Torver to pick up or drop off some freight in the goods yard wouldn't allow another train to pass whilst the first was in the yard because the first would still have possession of the entire Woodland-Coniston single line section.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 01:20:17 PM »
Hi chris. Thank you for sharing . Glad you managed to construct boards, legs, cases that fit in. Looking good. Just had an interesting conversation with daffy mike at fawley last weekend and he had seen you. He mentioned this phase and certainly you have described all in the update. Chris

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 01:29:39 PM »
Thank you for describing the various control plans for all and each section. Good luck with the wiring and electrics chris

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 01:31:51 PM »
In between all my own work, of course, I've also got work to do for the club's next project - the Lakeside branch.
I've got the track plan scaled up and printed out for Haverthwaite and we finished assembling the baseboards on Monday, so we can start on the trackwork for that.
I've also got track plans for Lakeside and Greenodd now, so I need to get those scaled up and printed out ready for when we want to start on them.
The plan is, like I'm doing with the Coniston Railway, to build them in such a way that we can link them together and display/run the whole line or, at least, all of it from Greenodd up.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019, 01:32:44 PM »
Good luck with the wiring and electrics

Cheers, I think I might need that  ;)

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 01:39:07 PM »
Good luck too with the club project on lakeside. Wiring and electrics have never been my strong point

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2019, 09:19:30 AM »
Afraid I got a little carried away so, far from jumping back to Coniston as I previously said, I've got all the track laid for Torver and for the first modular fiddle yard.

The wiring is still just the droppers hooked up with croc clip leads but that's sufficient for the track testing. It really is testing, not playing, because there's not a lot of fun playing one can do on a simple single-track roundy-roundy with four loops in the fiddle yard a straight-through station and a small goods with two sidings and a loop, so all I'm doing is letting various trains run around, both forwards and backwards, to check that everything is happy with the trackwork, pointwork and cross-board joins. At present, it's all powered off Coniston - until the new controller arrives and I can set it up to run independently.

The next job, once the controller has arrived (because I need the 12v dc uncontrolled and 16v ac outputs) will be to fit point motors and uncouplers but in the meantime I really have returned to attend to a few jobs on Coniston.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2019, 09:26:03 AM »
thanks chris

i always believe any projects  take time.

hope we can all see the fruits of your labour !

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2019, 10:12:08 AM »
hope we can all see the fruits of your labour !

Indeed - I'll take and post some piccies when there's something more worth showing than just a few bits of track glued to plywood  ;)

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 12:46:13 PM »
In between all my own work, of course, I've also got work to do for the club's next project - the Lakeside branch.
I've got the track plan scaled up and printed out for Haverthwaite and we finished assembling the baseboards on Monday, so we can start on the trackwork for that.

If I'd known!

I have a full size templot of Lakeside althought it's in 2mmfs so would have required a slight tweak, I have building plans from barrow reccord office somewhere also (sewage diagram is the most complete)

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 02:36:06 PM »

If I'd known!

I have a full size templot of Lakeside althought it's in 2mmfs so would have required a slight tweak, I have building plans from barrow reccord office somewhere also (sewage diagram is the most complete)

We're sorted out with a suitable track plan for Lakeside now - I found a site with old OS 25 inch maps which I was able to trace successfully. We've straightened it a touch so as to best fit the size baseboard we'd like, but still with an adequate degree of curvature to look like Lakeside. I'v just got a little more tidying up to do before I upsize the image to full size at 2mm/ft and print it out.
With no shortening required we can fit the whole thing from the road overbridge at the south to the steamer coaling facility into a shade over 8' long by 3'3" wide to include a loop board around to a fiddle yard at the back - or a link board to join up to Havethwaite.  We'd need yet another 8' to include all of the long siding, so we won't bother with that other than including it in the fiddle yard. The bridge will make a good visual break point anyway.

I'd be interested to know what drawings you have and whether we might be able to borrow them - although I somehow doubt that we'll be superdetailing it enough to need to include the sewage arrangements ;-)

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2019, 12:54:28 PM »

If I'd known!

We're sorted out with a suitable track plan for Lakeside now - I found a site with old OS 25 inch maps which I was able to trace successfully. We've straightened it a touch so as to best fit the size baseboard we'd like, but still with an adequate degree of curvature to look like Lakeside. I'v just got a little more tidying up to do before I upsize the image to full size at 2mm/ft and print it out.
With no shortening required we can fit the whole thing from the road overbridge at the south to the steamer coaling facility into a shade over 8' long by 3'3" wide to include a loop board around to a fiddle yard at the back - or a link board to join up to Havethwaite.  We'd need yet another 8' to include all of the long siding, so we won't bother with that other than including it in the fiddle yard. The bridge will make a good visual break point anyway.

I'd be interested to know what drawings you have and whether we might be able to borrow them - although I somehow doubt that we'll be superdetailing it enough to need to include the sewage arrangements ;-)

Haha, It's the sewage plan I have as it's the most complete with regards buildings foot prints, not seen them for a few years but they're certainly in a box under the layout. All were copied in Barrow record office (in the library) including a cross section of the slipway (I've a photo of Tern on the slipway) which was necessary as all the large lake steamers were built at Barrow as sections, brought in by rail and assembled on the slip.

My plan had been to model Tern alongside (Swan and Teal are significantly changed from how they would have been in the 30's / 40's, Tern's main change is a covered wheelhouse and deck)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 09:49:22 PM »
Chris

Once the hordes have eased off a bit, if you go and have a cup of tea and a scone at Haverthwaite, you'll see the signalling diagram for Lakeside on the wall. 

There was a brilliant '0' gauge layout of Lakeside a few years ago,  I think the late builder lived in Kendal.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: Today at 06:14:24 AM »
Once the hordes have eased off a bit, if you go and have a cup of tea and a scone at Haverthwaite, you'll see the signalling diagram for Lakeside on the wall. 

Cheers John, I've already found that on Google - well, Google found it on RMWeb ;)

It's found Coniston on here too - unfortunately only the very first pic I posted, bare baseboards, track and the rats nest of wiring :-(

There was a brilliant '0' gauge layout of Lakeside a few years ago,  I think the late builder lived in Kendal.

Crikey, that must be huge. N gauge is the limit for the space we have available though, plus it's the scale that the three of us working on it already use.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: Today at 06:21:02 AM »
Sounds busy what with lakeside. How are you doing with torver woodside and broughton? One chris to another

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations