!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Coniston Railway  (Read 14622 times)

5944 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Coniston Railway
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2019, 11:06:58 AM »
Looks like that tried tested method. Would you use the technique on woodland and broughton? Nevertheless looks good

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2019, 08:36:26 AM »
What a difference a few months make - or, maybe, a bit of flock. The last update was Torver looking decidedly wintry but now we appear to have fast forwarded to summer so the Blackpool excursion is heading through on its way to Coniston.

The next jobs are to surface the roads, platform and wharf before starting to add foliage, walls and fences - oh and the buildings of course.

I have a drawing of the station building although very few contemporary photographs - hundreds of how it is now but they aren't overly helpful since it's been significantly "prettified" for its new role of a holiday rental cottage.

I now have photographs of the goods shed, as it is now - not exactly as it was but pretty close. It looks as if it has had a few alterations made when it was repaired from its previous semi-derelict state. I have some old photos of it before it became semi-derelict so I should be able to get a fairly good approximation.

It appears that I also need to make a cattle dock at the end of the goods shed siding, where I've located, surprise, surprise, a cattle truck. I have no photographic evidence either that there was one or of what it looked like, but the old OS 25" map shows what is labelled as a "cattle pen". I think that it must have been a dock because the map appears to show a ramp leading to it and, also, I doubt that they'd have unloaded Daisy & her friends at the wharf at the other end of the goods yard, then herded them over 100 yards to bung them in a pen. If they were going to unload at the wharf I'd have thought it far more likely that the pen would have been on, or adjacent to, the wharf. So, a cattle dock it will be.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 08:39:40 AM by chrism »

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2019, 08:45:55 AM »
Awesome.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2019, 08:57:58 AM »
Incredible scenery. How are you modelling the wharf please? Must admit envy with looking at the scenics, the fields and the bridge. Chris

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2019, 10:28:18 AM »
Thanks, guys.

How are you modelling the wharf please?

Same way as I'm doing the platform - a suitable piece of wood glued down, then the edge faced with my slate wall paper and the top covered with either gravel (sandpaper) or a stone slab paper that I have yet to make.

They are much easier than the ones on Coniston were because they are dead straight - but I'll be back to curved platforms for Woodland and Broughton. I'll do those the same as I did on Coniston - thin strips of wood on edge, bent to fit a gauge from the rails and glued in place, starting at one end and working along, then backfilled and faced/topped the same as Coniston is and Torver will be.

The cattle dock will probably be an assembly in card to plonk in place since I only spotted it on the map after starting the scenery  >:(

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2019, 10:42:26 AM »
thanks chris seriously impressive. |I also guess with very few contemporary photographs available this must have been hard work, some sketches, and trial and error by your good self to achieve this. keep up the awesome work chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2019, 10:51:19 AM »
Looks great, Chris.
I wonder who's going to back down and reverse off the road bridge? :uneasy:
I know who my money is on :)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2019, 01:41:29 PM »
Looks great, Chris.
My money is on there being enough room for them to pass with about six inches to spare.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2019, 02:54:05 PM »
Looks great, Chris.
My money is on there being enough room for them to pass with about six inches to spare.

There's oodles of room - in fact, if they both squeeze up close to the walls there's room for an Austin 7 to get through between them  ;)

Mind you, there won't be by the time I've added a bit of verge either side  >:D
(but the Jag and the Bedford will still be able to pass)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 02:55:53 PM by chrism »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2019, 02:57:14 PM »
Looking really good Chris.
Scenery makes such a big difference.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2019, 12:23:00 AM »
The 3D layout already seems to 'sit well' with the back scene. Looking really good.  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2019, 06:35:35 AM »
The 3D layout already seems to 'sit well' with the back scene. Looking really good.  :thumbsup:

Cheers mate. I do think that the colours don't quite match, due to both the flock colours and the timing of when I was able to take the photos - I have a more summery 3D part with an early autumn backscene - but in general it does do as I'd hoped.

I'll give the backscene colours a bit of a tweak before I get the final version printed - after I've put in the walls, bushes, trees, etc. to mask the join and, as best as I can, hide the trains disappearing around the non-prototypical curves to the back

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2019, 09:34:21 AM »
If you look at the white house on the back scene then look just to its right there is a dry stone wall with a bit of grass in front of it. The green of the grass is almost identical to the colour of your flock. At that point, especially, the 3D flows nicely into the 2D. It all looks very good.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2019, 02:02:49 PM »
If you look at the white house on the back scene then look just to its right there is a dry stone wall with a bit of grass in front of it. The green of the grass is almost identical to the colour of your flock. At that point, especially, the 3D flows nicely into the 2D. It all looks very good.

You're quite right about the grass. Have to admit, I hadn't noticed how close that was in colour because I was more looking at the woodland on the face of the fell. I think that needs greening up a bit, to take a month or two off its age.
I'll see how it all looks when I've finished the 3D part before making my final assessment anyway.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2019, 03:48:16 PM »
Must say that was my thought. Cant wait for the next instalment chris on a beaut of a layout

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal