!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Coniston Railway  (Read 6915 times)

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: The Coniston Railway
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2019, 09:19:44 PM »
That looks absolutely excellent, Chris.

The bridge is such a prominent feature of Torver.

A while back, I was musing on another thread about what I fancied doing after Poppingham and gave Torver and Colyton as options.  Obviously, Torver is not now a possibility but back then I rather fancied using a couple of baseboards with the join below the bridge.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2019, 09:47:42 PM »
That looks absolutely excellent, Chris.

Cheers, John.

The bridge is such a prominent feature of Torver.

It certainly is - dividing the whole site into two parts.
It's the best that I can make of it, with very limited information available. I've only found three photos showing the bridge, all with it well in the background, but I managed to get one scanned and blown up sufficiently to be able to get the correct arch and wall top profiles. The buttress walls are a bit of a guesstimate but look about right to me. It'll look better when the earthworks go in too.

A while back, I was musing on another thread about what I fancied doing after Poppingham and gave Torver and Colyton as options.  Obviously, Torver is not now a possibility but back then I rather fancied using a couple of baseboards with the join below the bridge.

Oh dear, I haven't kyboshed your plans, have I?

I'm doing it as two boards, although my join is at the bottom of the bridge embankment, just at the end of the goods shed siding rather than under the bridge itself.

As it is, I've had to significantly shorten the goods yard, especially the loop and long headshunt beyond, in order to get it to fit in a 6' length, so I also shortened the platform a little so I could get the bridge on the RH board to leave as much space as possible for the yard.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 09:48:59 PM by chrism »

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2019, 10:02:08 PM »
chris

latest acquisition - a push-pull driving brake - stunning - it looks superb under that bridge. thanks for the updates. will have to review this. Guess you have started slowly on Torver and back to the bridge have captured those tight clearances well. But superb photos chris

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2019, 08:40:00 AM »
Oh dear, I haven't kyboshed your plans, have I?

Not at all, Chris; I'll do something else.

You'll make a vastly better job of Torver than I could and I really like your plan to model a series of stations on the Coniston Railway.

With all best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2019, 07:49:56 AM »
Since my last update, I've made, wired and tested the bypass loop board for Torver - this is a board just for use at home to allow trains to come in from Coniston to the left, pass behind Torver to come into the station from the correct end and depart from the correct end before running around the back and off to the right to the next station. If you recall, I can only fit all the stations into my spare room if I assemble them in the wrong geographic order.

Since that has proved satisfactory, I've now removed both the bypass board and Torver - the former for storage and the latter to a more convenient location for working on the scenery. Torver has had a coat of brown paint, so that any thin or missing bits of grass, etc show earth, the next job is to insert sleepers where there are gaps at track joins, etc. before I attack the ballasting and then the landscaping.

In the meantime, since as you may recall I do like to have more than one project on the go at once, I've assembled the previously built modular fiddle yard with the baseboards for Woodland and started tracklaying on Woodland;

The Ivatt 2MT tank and push-pull set is standing where the Coniston-bound platform will be whilst the Jinty is doing a little shunting in the single siding goods yard. These are what I've found to be the best test trains for the trackwork - the 2MT is very keen to throw a pony truck off at the slightest opportunity and a rake of wagons being propelled is also a good test of joints. If they both run reliably over all routes and in both directions I know that everything else I have will be OK.  The track is just pinned down for now, when I'm completely happy with the track layout I'll lift the points to add their droppers and drill the holes for those and for the point motors before relaying them, retesting the trackwork and gluing it down. This work can be alternated with that to be done on Torver - e.g. whilst waiting for stuff to set or dry on Torver I can do some trackwork or wiring  on Woodland.

As with Torver, I've had to compress the length of the site to fit it onto a 6' baseboard (although not quite as drastically) and I've also has to slightly increase the curvature to best fit the available points. I have, however, ensured that the running line loop is sufficiently long to park a five-coach rake behind a Jubilee or Black 5 because Woodland was a block post so there could well be the need to hold the Blackpool excursion for a local passenger or goods train to cross there.

At some point in the not too distant future, I have to go to both Torver and Woodland with the camera and do some nice asking. I've discovered that both Torver goods shed and Woodland station building still exist so, if I can, I need to take some photos of them from which to work when making the models.
Torver goods shed is now part of what appears to be a builders' yard and appears (peering through the trees) to have simply been repaired rather than being significantly altered. The most recent photo I've found in books shows it in a rather dilapidated state but it isn't now.
Woodland station building appears, looking on Google Streetview, to be much as it was, even still having the platform canopy. There have been some alterations, the most obvious being extra windows in the gable end above what was the post office, but, from what I can see, on Streetview, nothing too drastic.
Torver station building also still exists as a holiday cottage and Google has loads of photos of it, however, it appears to have been quite significantly altered and "prettified" so I don't think my taking photos will help me much - I have a drawing of it anyway in one of my reference books.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2019, 08:02:16 AM »
Morning chris. Looking good those boards on torver and woodland. All projects take time. Have you wired anything yet? Seriously impressed

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2019, 08:30:50 AM »
Morning chris. Looking good those boards on torver and woodland. All projects take time. Have you wired anything yet? Seriously impressed

Cheers mate.

Torver's fully wired, including the control panel and the bits that only work if the bypass loop board is fitted.
The fiddle yard is also fully wired, including the control panel - that, however, requires a station control panel linked to it to work correctly. The station control panels (well, Torver's at present, Woodland's and Broughton's will eventually)  include the controller, CDU and power circuits for the LEDs, passing the relevant wires through to the fiddle yard panel
Woodland just has two temporary wires at each end to provide track power for testing purposes. When I've got the droppers installed and the track finalised & glued down I can add the point motors and start the wiring, including the control panel.
I won't be going too quickly with the control panel, however, because I'll also have a couple of signals to buy, make and get working - unlike with Coniston I plan to get everything working before building the control panel,no Mk1 followed by Mk2 this time.
Woodland also had a level crossing at the southern end, I'm rather tempted to see if I can motorise the gates for that which could well delay the control panel until I've either succeeded with it - or given up  ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:34:04 AM by chrism »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2019, 08:39:45 AM »
Still superb chris. Looking at using a servo for motorising the gates? Looking forward to the scenic part. And must admit enjoying this thread / layout. Cheers. Chris

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2019, 08:52:44 AM »
Still superb chris. Looking at using a servo for motorising the gates?

Haven't decided yet. I may do it the same way as I did the turntable on Coniston - a motor with a worm drive gearbox controlled by the track controller.
For the gates, however, I'll need to include some form of endstop to prevent them being opened/closed too far, maybe microswitches and diodes - and I may decide to use two motors, one for each gate since they wouldn't have been opened simultaneously.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2019, 07:20:52 PM »
you are probably right for the need for an endstop chris. another friend emailled this earlier.   food for thought

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5330/08ab373d03d5a477efbbd37ff276dbc0c42a.pdf

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2019, 09:01:10 PM »
you are probably right for the need for an endstop chris. another friend emailled this earlier.   food for thought

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5330/08ab373d03d5a477efbbd37ff276dbc0c42a.pdf

Probably more complex than I require TBH.
All I will want the end stops for is to stop the gates getting snapped off their pivots if they are allowed to over travel.
I might put something in to prevent trains passing through if either gate is closed, however, maybe with relays and reed switches like I did for the polarity reversal on Coniston's turntable.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2019, 09:03:51 PM »
hope the article was enjoyable. anyway sounds like a plan anad look forward to hearing more at a later date. chris

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2019, 09:36:19 PM »
Well, another few busy days have gone by and Torver has had a liberal coating of the gritty stuff between and around the sleepers - and I still haven't managed to gum up any points, it's gotta happen some day ;)

Before ballasting, I did give the rails a light coat of a rust wash just to take the "new" shine off. I'm not after a full weathered effect at this stage of my learning but I thought I'd give it a partial try as a first attempt at something else new. I may thin the wash down a bit more and give it a second coat now the ballast is in place to add a little rusty coloration to the ballast close to the rails.

This is the station end, with the Jinty setting back a freight train into the yard.

An overhead of the full length, from the Coniston end.

This is the goods yard, at the Woodland end of the site. The orangey-brown van is roughly where the goods shed will be, when I've made it - or, to be more precise, when I've had a chance to get to the site with the camera and found someone to ask nicely if I may photograph their building.

Finally, another view of the station end. No further progress on the bridge as yet but now the ballast is down I can start on the scenic landscape aspects, the bridge embankments, a few hillocks either side of the track and fields beyond stretching back to the backscene.

Ah yes, the backscene - that's genuine Torver, that is. There's no point in trying to make the backscene from photos closer to the station because, since the main road was diverted onto the old trackbed an entire village has sprung up in the way. The only building that I could have included, a cottage, has either quadrupled in size or been knocked down and replaced with a pub, not much help to me there. However, I went along the old main road to just outside the village and found a nice angle to shoot a panorama of the wooded escarpment up to the fells to the north-west, Green Rigg Bank, Wide Close and Hare Crags. Looks like it'll do the job, with suitable walls/hedges to mask the join to the baseboard. The plan is, eventually, to find somewhere that can print it out onto a single length of canvas so it'll have no seams and can be rolled up for transporting.

The same day I took some similar panoramas of Coniston so, hopefully in a few days, I'll be able to provide updated photos of the Coniston layout with its real backscene instead of the array of oversized trees I've used so far.

In the meantime, I've got all the droppers installed on Woodland and the track is now finally glued down - so the baseboard can be lifted soon to fit the point motors and start on the wiring proper.

I've also started experimenting on possibilities for motorising the level crossing - just playing to see how an array of relays and switches could be made to work. Lots still to do on it yet and I don't know if I'll succeed in what I would like to do or whether I'll have to compromise.

The result I'm hoping to achieve is a single button or switch press to set an automatic sequence. One press would open one gate for rail traffic, then the other gate and, finally, supply power to the protection track sections to allow trains to pass through.
Another press of the button/switch would reverse the process, isolating the protection track sections to prevent trains smashing the gates, closing one gate and then the other.
A nice little challenge, seeing as I don't have to make a turntable for this one.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:43:06 PM by chrism »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2019, 09:44:24 PM »
Thank you for the updates chris. Seriously looking good with torver chris.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2019, 02:04:05 AM »
that baseboard looks solid and i do like your ballasting work very pleasing to the eye

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal