!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Future plans  (Read 13126 times)

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
Future plans
« on: June 27, 2019, 03:09:47 PM »
There have been a lot of interesting ideas put forward over the past few months and I thought it better to start a new topic rather than continue in an old topic.

But here is a summary of some ideas that have been bandied around in various locations:

HUO hoppers (following the demise of DJM Ltd and our friends from Accurascale)
Class A tanks (to go on our Class B chassis)
K type Pullmans (no link but I think we both like the idea!)
PTA aggregate box tipplers (see Accurascale's 4mm announcement!)
PFA 4 wheels container flats (for coal, gypsum, low level nuclear waste) (see Accurascale's 4mm announcement!)
OTAs got a reasonable reception on a previous thread
Our 4mm EALNOS MMA/JNA-T aggregate boxes could be scaled down

We've got a few more ideas under wraps at the moment, but we'd be interested in people's views on what you're interested in (even if it is something different to that on the list above!).

We've still got a couple of left overs from our "big" (for us anyway!) TINGS 2018 announcement to progress eg the 128 and Cemflo - both are progressing in the background though we're trying not to flood everything on to the market at once. We're also still wrestling with pricing for Pendolino and TEA second runs, as well as potentially for the APT-E.

That is all apart from things already in various stages of tooling and production! We can't wait to show people the first samples of the 320/321 when we get it!

Hard to believe that later this year Revolution Trains will be 5 years old!

Anyway all thoughts welcome as always - apologies if I've missed a really obvious possibility!

Cheers Mike

Offline keithfre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5036
    • Awards
Re: Future plans
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 03:11:47 PM »
K type Pullmans
I'd be interested in one of those.

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 03:15:05 PM »
Congratulations on getting to 5 years.  Pullman’s, Cemflo and Shark would be great.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

Offline ijmsmith

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 03:16:40 PM »
I think there is a big gap in the market for some N scale London Transport models - I understand that TfL can be difficult to deal with and licences would be required but the option of making rolling stock available as unpowered tourist souvenirs could broaden the sales prospects enormously (although most of us would prefer some powered cars as well!)

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 03:18:12 PM »
Will be following progress. Thank you for sharing

Online NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 03:19:45 PM »
I would be keen to see:

Original Transition Era FFAs and associated original Freightliner containers (Farish ones are a bit long in the tooth and not very
     good to modern standards), to modern standards and in five wagon sets (I understand they were originally built and used thus)

Dogfish Catfish Hoppers

TPO Stowage Carriages

Class 21/29

Best

Scott

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 03:38:39 PM by NGS-PO, Reason: Meant Catfish, not Dogfish »
PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.

“Having anxiety and depression is like being scared and tired at the same time. It's the fear of failure, but no urge to be productive. It's wanting friends, but hate socializing. It's wanting to be alone, but not wanting to be lonely. It's feeling everything at once then feeling paralyzingly numb.”

We're not crazy, or insane, we're just people living with a condition.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 03:27:07 PM »
for me ....

Original Transition Era FFAs and associated original Freightliner containers and yes TPO STOCK please.

Offline AdrianC

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 03:33:59 PM »
I see OTAs mentioned in that list. Yes please, perfect for my layout and will save me trying to butcher other wagons to take a kit body (I know there is or has been at least one from someone anyway that requires a farish donor wagon).

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 03:36:37 PM »
I knew there was something I meant to include that I'd forgotten - Catfish! Thanks for reminding me Scott!

In general terms we're probably not going to risk going head to head with an existing RTR model or a subject where one is likely to come in the foreseeable future (though I accept that foreseeable future in model terms can be 5-10 years!). That probably rules out FFA/FGA sets as it is hard to imagine that Farish won't shrink their new 4mm models. The same with stowage vans - haven't Bachmann announced (or even produced?) them in 4mm?

Where kits exist (like the shark, PFAs or PTAs for example) then it is a more tricky decision - we don't want to kill off kit manufacturers (indeed there are some items that Revolution might want to produce that made more sense as kits than RTR) but there is no escaping that large portions of the market prefer to buy RTR rather than build kits. So there will always be a balance to be made when thinking about something already produced as a kit ie can you do better, has the kit manufacturer had time to recoup costs, are you making N gauge more attractive by offering something RTR ie helping to grow the total market etc etc.

Cheers Mike

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 03:41:42 PM »
Mike

You raise an interesting point with the kits vs RTR debate and may I humbly venture (and please bare in mind I say all this whilst slowly working on a rake of 10 and ideally wanting 10 more) that the PTAs are even more complex.

Yes, the kit has been around for a long time (my instructions say they were written in 1995) but the NGS has literally just acquired the tooling.

With that being the case, would a new RTR version be fair to the NGS? I do not wish to offend anybody, and though I am an NGS member I cannot speak for them of course.

Skyline2uk

Online emjaybee

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 03:43:51 PM »
Well, the old steam-to-diesel boys are going to be happy.

Any chance of producing something that could feasibly run from just before nationalisation? Or even borderline!

Wouldn't say no to something hopper-ish.

Feeling a bit left out is all I'd say.

Whatever you do, I'm sure it'll be splendid, just try not to forget about us.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 03:45:23 PM »
Clearly this risks becoming a wishlist, which I'd be keen to avoid, so trying to put forward some useful contributions to things I think would genuinely sell and what I'd actually buy (in no particular order):

- PTA/JUA/JTA
- Shrunk JNA/MMAs
- Class 59 (I realise why this may not be palatable given Dapol's position)
- FSA/FTA container flats

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 03:47:57 PM »
Skyline, reply #19;

Availability of kits hasn't stopped Farish producing RTR in the past...….though Revolution seem more appreciative of this.

Martyn

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 03:52:58 PM by martyn »

Online emjaybee

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 03:50:45 PM »
Okay, what the hell.

Appeals to grouping, nationalisation, black, green etc.

It's always high on the trade wishlists, it'd make a good rule 1 purchase, there's no complicated valve gear...

I'd love it to be 10001 as well, but I'd settle for half for starters.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline tcox94

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 03:51:14 PM »
I am bit biased but would be great if you guys dip into the steam market more, the 56xx looks great. How about GWR 1000 county class. Also apart from the dapol terrier there are not many private owned steam locos on the market so how about a manning Wardle model.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £51.00
Below Goal: £49.00
Site Currency: GBP
51% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything