!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Feeble first efforts  (Read 401 times)

Offline JayM481

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28771
    • Awards
Feeble first efforts
« on: June 21, 2019, 09:55:46 PM »
I got a slightly used 3D printer last week, and after a bit of faff, manged to get it working satisfactorily, so now I'm playing around with a few things and thought I'd have a go at something railway-oriented. The availability of free .STL files for railway stuff is limited, but I applied a shrink ray to a OO coach I found on Thingiverse. Pictured is the result of my second effort, after the first go proved to be problematic because it was in more pieces. This one is two parts: body and roof together, and floor and frame.

The frame is too delicate I think, so it would be better served by an etched chassis kit of some sort. I have no idea what the prototype is, though it's supposed to be a "late 19thC GWR coach." The photo is, as with close ups, pretty unforgiving. It's quite dreadful given the work some of the experienced 3D hands have shown here, though with better cleanup and a lick of paint it could pass the "three-foot rule."

Anyway, the printer was priced right (equivalent to a hair under 150), and it has a 12"x12" print surface, so will do the trick from most any structure I may want to build in N gauge. Rolling stock may have to wait until my skills improve, and/or I get a resin printer.

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
Re: Feeble first efforts
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 10:05:14 PM »
Perfect for a bit of messing up and use as an old grounded coach in the scenery. Have a bit of greenery growing on/around/in it and possibly a bit of tarp and it would really look the part.

All first attempts tend to not quite turn out to plan, so it's nice to see something that can actually be used and isn't a whistle ;)

Offline Woesa

• http://tattoogrid.net/arm-tattoos/
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 10:26:11 PM »
I think it looks great! What kind of filament did you use?

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 02:48:06 AM »
PLA filament.

I'll try cleaning it up more and giving it a coat of paint and see how it looks. It may end up as a grounded coach.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 11:30:30 AM »
For that type of printer it looks good.  If you print in ABS filament acetone will help by melting and blending the surface a little.

The key point is that this was your second attempt, and when you design your own models you will do a lot more test prints as you perfect your designs. 

For this reason your "cheap" printer is an ideal start and will allow you to get a good idea of what a model will look like before going to the expense of a final model fro Shapeways or the like.

NB if you get good at design you will justify a resin printer. :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:32:15 AM by Snowwolflair »

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 02:57:40 AM »
My printer can handle ABS, but I'm not sure I'm ready to take that route.

The "design" aspect is where I hope to concentrate my efforts. I'm a bit lacking in understanding how to take a paper drawing (or a scan of one) and turn it into a 3D model which can me printed. At the moment I'm limited by using Tinkercad until I can figure out what software will suit my purpose.

Our public library Makerspace also has a 3D scanner which may be handy...

Offline Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 11:20:22 AM »
The trick is to turn the 2D cad or drawing into a jpg and import it into your 3d cad as wallpaper flat to the Z-Y plane.  If you mark a known size - I add a 100mm box - you can scale it to 1:148.  Its then a case of tracing it in the 3D cad.

Here is what i mean.

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 10:10:39 PM »
@ JayM481

Its really refreshing to see honest first attempts posted, hats off to you! :thumbsup:

I admire people who do this as it provides a really good genuine guide to those thinking of having a go and what to probably expect.

keep at it and lets see how far you progress.  I'm going to follow your progress with very keen interest.

Well done so far

Dave

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 04:13:18 AM »
@Snowwolflair thanks for the tip. I saw something like that in a how-to video for Sketchup. I'll see if it can be done with Tinkercad, which I'm sticking with for now because the price is right and I'd rather go into a "real" CAD application with a bit more skill.

@Mr Sprue , Thanks Dave. I'm a slow mover (in more ways than one), so next efforts could be a while. I'm doing some wargame terrain pieces and accessories as well, so railway stuff will get in the queue as it comes. Next project might be a structure.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 04:14:25 AM by JayM481 »

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything