!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019  (Read 2589 times)

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2019, 05:40:03 PM »
Ooo, you tease, Mike!

Online NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2019, 06:38:31 PM »
The hint in the Rapido newsletter is something else to what is being announced for this weekend! I hadn’t realised that Jason was already giving hints - it wouldn’t only be BR blue either!

Cheers Mike

17 or 21?  :angel: :angel: :angel:
PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.

“Having anxiety and depression is like being scared and tired at the same time. It's the fear of failure, but no urge to be productive. It's wanting friends, but hate socializing. It's wanting to be alone, but not wanting to be lonely. It's feeling everything at once then feeling paralyzingly numb.”

We're not crazy, or insane, we're just people living with a condition.

Offline robert shrives

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2019, 11:04:37 AM »
Well its that time again, off to NEC to start the buildup works, we have the hall from 13.00 and expect to be at it until 22.00 and from 07.00 - 20.00 Friday!

hundreds of tables and 1200 chairs to be put out and clothed today and tomorrow morning.
first in the hall three lowloaders and, a bus! allong with the three trailers of stand fittings and then the club artic!
Systems go..

Robert   

Offline IanF

• N Gauge Society Number: 28927
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2019, 09:08:08 PM »
Looking forward to my first Warley
A virgin one might say  - and as I lost my ********* to an N gauge layout more than 40 years ago I’m looking forward to my second time around with a new layout. I’m just sad it’s taken so long to see the light!!
Hope the word ********* doesn’t get me banned from this forum :worried: :worried:
Help - I don't know what I'm doing

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2019, 12:05:39 AM »

Hello all,

Picking up the hired van first thing, then hoping to get to the NEC with the Revolution stand at about 2pm.

If you're visiting come and see us on stand C41 near the Rapido full size bus!

CHJeers

Ben A.

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2019, 09:49:02 AM »
The bus is in situ already

Offline Chris Morris

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2019, 09:51:03 AM »
Did anybody order a wagon in the wrong scale?

Offline emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2019, 09:52:25 AM »
Good lord!

Put it at the back, it'll give a sense of perspective!

:D
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2019, 10:20:36 AM »
Awesome! That's way more exciting than a bus  ;D

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2019, 07:57:06 PM »
Go on then, I will chip in.

Back to Warley after a forced break last year and noticed some differences (for me) since 2017:

1) More open spaces. Probably a good thing in terms of crowds (a couple of areas got very congested) but it did make it seem like there was less there in terms of layouts.

2) Some layouts “hidden away” at the back left? Probably more just a case of me nearly missing some (mainly depot style layouts).

3) Apart from a couple of real high (but not perfect see below) quality layouts, I wondered if the average standard was a little lower?

4) Even the very slick and professional looking layouts (The Spirit of Swindon) seemed to be in need of “The hand of God”. This may well be me, it seems that three of four layouts I watched had a derailment / uncouple / sudden halt just as I arrived to watch.

5) A personal point: I found myself drawn to looking at layouts that could not be further from my normal modelling (Welsh Narrow Gauge Steam?) just because the layouts had lovely detailed modelling and were chugging along quite nicely.

6) The big live steam set up at the back was expanded this year, four tracks and normally at least two trains on the go. All the better for it.

The trade support was numerous and almost daunting. If I didn’t have a specific thing that I was looking for (and by being one of the first in, was able to get), I wouldn’t have known where to start. It strikes me all of a sudden we have gone from two N gauge manufactures to 6 or 7 (albeit some with only one or two items in the RTR range at the moment). Oh and most of them are working with each other on various projects...

Also, more and more trade stands are getting to a point they have huge purpose built display units. Accurascale in particular were like a fine jewellery shop.

Did anybody else notice Hattons didn’t bother with a sales stand as such? Essentially a showroom for 0 Gauge and their own products?

Still enjoy the experience but hoping the shown doesn’t just become about trade as years go on.

Skyline2uk

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2019, 10:14:07 PM »

4) Even the very slick and professional looking layouts (The Spirit of Swindon) seemed to be in need of “The hand of God”. This may well be me, it seems that three of four layouts I watched had a derailment / uncouple / sudden halt just as I arrived to watch.

You jinxed them :P ;)

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2019, 10:18:04 PM »
 :laughabovepost:

Yeah it did feel like that...

Still, it can happen the other way round.

The first time I operated “Choates Lane”, everything worked well until I went for food. Then the unmistakable sound (and colourful language) of two full length Eurostars colliding was heard....

Back on topic now  :angel:

Skyline2uk

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2019, 10:31:15 PM »
ok my personal opinion...

i exhibited 2 years ago now, and that year, myself, the layouts around me and i know quite a few others complained about being cramped in.

then last year i saw space suddenly free up, and this year, well the only way i could think of it was "you could hop in the rapido bus and drive it round the arena"...

Alot of people i saw there who go every year all thought the same thing...we are paying more for less. There seems to be dwindling number of layouts, spaces are increasing, yet ticket prices continue to go up, added on top of the increasing price of car parking...

Also for anyone who didnt realise... when you went to the plazza to pay for a parking ticket, you had the option of selecting which show you went to...Warley came in at £16, while the other shows like the bike show came in at £12. One member of staff said always choose the cheapest option as when you leave it doesnt matter which show you went to, they dont check, just aslong as its a parking ticket!

So why Warley is £4 more (im sure it was only £12 last year) i have no idea! but hey ho. I know for a fact i wont be there next year as i will be at Trainfest in Milwaukee a couple weeks before hand so i will be skint!
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Offline Chris Morris

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2019, 07:16:46 AM »
The number of layouts is absolutely, definitely and unequivocally not reducing. You are getting roughly the same number every year.
80 layouts in 2008
89 in 2009
89 in 2010
87 in 2011
86 in 2012
97 in 2014
90 in 2015
92 in 2017
100 in 2018 - this was higher because there were a number of small layouts
91 in 2019

Over the same period there has always been circa 150 trade exhibitors, 30 demonstrators and 60 society or preservation stands. The whole ethos of the exhibition and the reason why so many people give so much of their time for free is to showcase our wonderful hobby rather than make money. You might want to contrast this with the BRM Peterborough exhibition which has 34 layouts and about 100 trade stands (which includes societies). They appear to have only 5 demonstrators. OK the admission for this show is cheaper at £10 compared to £17.50 but you get a lot more layouts per pound at Warley NEC. The BRM show is a good show but I use that example to show that the Warley NEC show offers good value for money.

This year Warley included an N gauge modular layout with a 155 ft run, Rockdliffe N gauge that won the Mayor of Sandwell cup and Hawes Junction that won the LMS Society cup. That's a pretty good result for N gauge.

Some exhibitions at the NEC pat the NEC for free parking and the motorcycle show pay the NEC to subsidise parking cost. This of course means that those who come to shows  by train where parking is paid by the exhibition are subsidising those who come by car in the admission price. That doesn't seem fair. The price for parking this year was the same as last year. Yes it is too high but it always has been. This year, if you paid in advance it was a slightly more reasonable £12.

Offline emjaybee

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2019, 07:19:26 AM »
Thanks for the info Chris, sorry I missed this year, I'll try harder next year.

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25%