!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Starting again after many years  (Read 550 times)

Offline Paulpp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Starting again after many years
« on: June 18, 2019, 09:34:08 AM »
Many many years ago I had a small N gauge layout and recently have been thinking of returning.  The problem is lack of space - the most available is 3' 6" x 1' 10"'
Have looked at many shelf layouts (lots of good ideas out there) but also would prefer the opportunity of a circle/oval for continuous running (a variation on Janet's Reward is an attractive option).
From what I have read -
1.  Electrofrog points would be better with small locos but would radius be an issue?
2.  Is it possible to use Peco R1 for behind the scenery and R2 in the visible part?
3.  Have seen some references to Kato track where the smallest radius is smaller than the Peco R1 but know nothing about the brand?  Can you mix with Peco?
Any advice much appreciated.

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Starting again after many years
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 10:31:06 AM »
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum!

The small size of baseboard makes an interesting design project; a good size for an initial return to N.  It will by necessity be quite simple, so should be able to be completed in a reasonable time.

1. If you are using small locos (E.g. 0-6-0s or small diesels), radius will not be an issue but electrofrog points would be better.  This would mean that your design wouldn't have any points on the curves, just on the straights.

2. Yes, no problem mixing radii.  I have done it myself on my Deansmoor layout.

3. Kato will join to Peco but it likely to look like a bit of a dog's breakfast.  Again, I have used Kato joining to Peco for the fiddle yard of my Lofthole layout.

Kato might be a good choice for a (re-)beginner.  On Lofthole I have used the 8.5 in radius curves in the fiddle yard and it is fine for diesel locos and MOST rolling stock.  Long wheelbase 4 wheelers like VGAs won't go round it, but if you are envisioning 10ft wagons they would be fine.  Big steamers would have no chance.

Cheers Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 10:46:28 AM »
Hi Paul and welcome aboard! :wave:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 10:53:03 AM »
Hello Paul, and welcome aboard :wave:
You've set quite a quandary there. The only ready to plonk track you could use to make an oval from is the Kato 8½" radius (20-170) as Jon says above. It may be possible to bend Peco flexitrack down to that but I've never tried.
As for points, the smallest electrofrogs from Peco are 124mm in length as are the Kato #4 points. There are smaller unifrog Peco points in the set track range but some have experienced stalling on the plastic frog with small locos.
If you can get an oval layout to fit your board at least you'll have somewhere to run in new small locos :D

Offline Ditape

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 11:30:56 AM »
 :hellosign: :welcomesign:

Depending on what you want to run the smallest Kato curves are good starting point but a lot of the newer models do not like radii smaller than Peco R2  263.5mm (10 3/8in),I favour Kato unitrack it is sturdy, reliable, easy to use but does tend to be a little more expensive.
Diane Tape

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 11:39:51 AM »
G'day from Australia, Paul, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 12:24:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Plenty of useful tutorials, skilled modellers, covering boards, wiring, track, scenics, trains. Please do share plans, track plans, ideas, questions. Sure somebody will answer

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 04:39:45 PM »
Welcome aboard.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 07:28:51 PM »
Welcome aboard, Paul.

You are exploring what is possible with tight radii.  Fortunately, others have acted as pathfinders for you.  I suggest that you search for the Windmill Hill layout thread on the Forum which might provide inspiration.

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Paulpp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 09:04:10 PM »
Thanks for your greetings and advice.  Very helpful

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 10:10:17 PM »
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. There are plenty of Kato aficianados on the forum, (including me), and, whilst I agree it can be a bit more expensive to get started with, the 'plug and play' aspects, lack of wiring required and no need for any soldering if you do not want to go down that road, makes it very worthwhile in my opinion - and, with a bit of 'scenickery', it does not have to look like Kato track.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 10:02:24 PM by dannyboy »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Paulpp

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 08:35:32 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  Have come up with this - 40" x 20".  Ignore the tunnel symbols.  Thinking a small station in one of the bottom corners and flexi track for the sidings to get better alignment, but unsure whether the length of the sidings are an issue.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 09:19:31 PM »
A couple of things about that plan, Paul.
a) I see you are mixing code 80 set track with code 55 points. Mixing codes is just something I refrain from. How about using code 55 throughout via flexitrack and curve the end tracks using a 9" tracksetta?
(b) Putting a station on a 9" curve will create a large gap between coaches and platform. Depending on your viewing angle you might get away with that but otherwise passengers will have to polevault into the coach!

Online zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 09:36:39 PM »
I'd go with code 55 throughout for as much of that design if you can. Aside from the avoiding mixing codes (which is more aesthetic than anything), it if's a small layout it's likely to be seen from closer up, so the finer profile track will look a little better.

You could be sneaky though. Set track does make it a lot easier to get the curves right, so if you keep the Code 80 Set Track curves for the bits that are hidden in the tunnels and use code 55 flexitrack (and the aforementioned tracksetta) for the visible bits, it'll look a lot better.

It also means you can wiggle the visible area's angle a little bit rather than it being a rigid oval, which will help with the overall look.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 09:47:17 PM »
A couple of things about that plan, Paul.
a) I see you are mixing code 80 set track with code 55 points.

Where? SL-E* points are code 80 streamline electrofrog.   SL-E*F would be code 55 points.

@Paulpp

Definitely stick with one system, ie. code 80 or code 55.  Code 55 does look nicer and is stronger when bent (in case you do decide to create the  main curves with flexi track).   

You could still duck out and use Setrack for those main curves if you want, but it would look and work better with code 80 Streamline pointwork. Use flexi track for all the main straights and in the sidings.  Although I use code 55 for all my scenic trackwork I have been known to use Setrack curves  on hidden trackwork, just to save the bother for bending and cutting flexi!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here