!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Class 08 Wheel wear  (Read 353 times)

Online rhysapthomas

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Class 08 Wheel wear
« on: June 18, 2019, 11:09:25 AM »

Last year i lent one of my Class 08 locos to a club project.  We provided a display to a local museum as part of a toys and games exhibition.  It was a great sucess and the run the train button was well used
However whe i came to chip up this 08 i noticed the wheels had a large amount of wear, indeed it looks like the plating (Nickel?) has worn off several of the wheels

It still runs ok but i am concerned that the wear will affect performance later and maybe the motor will fail am i correct in think they have a limited life?

The picture is not great but you can see several bands of brassy metal colour with a lot of wear

Should i repair it and perhaps replace the motor?  I don't want to waste time chipping it for it to fail later

Offline elmo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Class 08 Wheel wear
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 11:28:15 AM »
I do not think that I have a farish loco that has not got this. The plating wears off pretty quickly but be assured that some of my locos early 1980's vintage have been to the moon and back without noticeable wear on the main wheel material.

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 11:42:19 AM »
Wear is almost inevitable.  there are three things to avoid to minimise wear.

Clean wheels and track to stop sparking as this burns holes in the plating.
Wheel spin, you often see locos running round with more wagons and coaches than the loco weight allows.
Sharp track edges where the rail is cut or joins at fish plate, as the impact denting over time will puncture the plating.

In general I find models with traction tyres have relatively less metal wear, but the traction tyres degrade and need to be kept clean.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 11:43:02 AM »
Should be ok, but I must admit I blame running all day at exhibitions for some of my loco failures.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 10:43:03 PM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 12:04:59 PM »
Has anybody used any recommended product to clean or replace parts?

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 12:23:04 PM »
That's normal plating wear, signs of a well used loco (as you'd expect in this case).

Just continue to clean and service as normal, using your preferred method (wheel brush, IPA, fibreglass pen, chisel, flame-thrower or whatever  :D )

I've never yet had to consider actually replacing wheels on an N loco due to plating wear, even on old locos going back to the 70s. You may find they don't stay clean as easily as shiny new wheels, but they'll continue to work. 

The only loco I've ever replaced wheels on was a little LGB G scale loco that had been going round and round a circle of track on a display for years before I got hold of it. The track was worn out too!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online rhysapthomas

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 01:52:28 PM »
Thanks Everybody

That is reasuring that the dmage is not fatal.  All my other loco's get so lttle us i have never seen the issue arise before but this one got some serious use over a couple of months

Offline mr bachmann

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 07:15:10 PM »
best run it in for another half hour each way , just to be sure before you chip it  :D

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal