!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills Stock, Prices and News 6 June 2019  (Read 395 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Union Mills Stock, Prices and News 6 June 2019
« on: June 13, 2019, 02:29:25 PM »
Hello Chums

I have had interesting correspondence from Union Mills which includes welcome news for those of us looking for Great Western locomotives.  It's even more Great Western locomotives in my case!

Here is the current list, with 'Out of Stocks' annotated, which I received today.

And here's the news about the Great Western locomotives which are expected to be available in July.  The 'Dean Goods' in 'WD' livery is a very interesting development.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline JayM481

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills Stock, Prices and News 6 June 2019
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 02:32:27 AM »
Very helpful. I've only been in communication with Colin by email, which is not the most reliable, and would ahve missed this. I'll have to email again and give him a firm order.

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 05:27:08 PM »
And here's the news about the Great Western locomotives which are expected to be available in July.  The 'Dean Goods' in 'WD' livery is a very interesting development.

John,

I have the Dukedog and the Dean Goods with Great Western on the tender. I'm interested in the Collett 0-6-0 and wonder if I should buy it with the Great Western livery or shirtbutton. Except for the two Union Mills locomotives my other c. 1939 locomotives are shirtbutton. My coaches are mixed. Your advice will be appreciated.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 08:17:21 PM »
Hello Leon

Thank you for this.

No. 3205 was built in 1946 so 'G W R' on the tender is correct.

BUT:

Can you read the number plate at normal operating distance?  I can't!

Therefore, I think you can consider the locomotive to simply be a 'Collett Goods' rather than No. 3205.

The '2251' class was introduced in 1930, so the 'Great Western' livery is appropriate in certain instances.  Probably the 'shirtbutton' livery will be most suitable for your 1939 setting as, I expect, most of the early members of the class would have had major overhauls by then and, of course, later-built locomotives would have always had the 'shirtbutton' livery.

However, she'll be your locomotive and, if you prefer the 'Great Western' livery, then why not have it?  The 'shirtbutton' looks good in many applications but is, in my view, not at its best on locomotives.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline leachsprite4

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 08:54:37 PM »
Hello John,
3205 may not have had GWR when first made but it has certainly had it in preservation life and probably for more years than it was owned by BR.
Graham

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 12:26:12 AM »
The 'shirtbutton' looks good in many applications but is, in my view, not at its best on locomotives.

John,

The GWR livery is the most appealing to me, but at the very least I want the rolling stock on my layout to look right for 1939. So, If I've understood, the number on the Union Mills Colletts was assigned in 1946 and, thus, GWR is the correct tender livery - but not for 1939. The number isn't that important to me but the livery is. So, if I buy it will be "shirtbutton". I must confess, however, that while others might not know the numbered locomotive wasn't built until a few years after the period represented by my layout, I'll know! Except for my presence on this Forum, my modelling is a solitary experience and no knowledgeable person will ever see it (except in photographs). It only has to satisfy me! If I compromise, though, it will be a conscious choice - thanks to the guidance I receive from people like you. The important "take-away" this time is that by 1939 many (perhaps the majority) Collett Goods locomotives would have sported the "shirtbutton" logo for it would be another three years before the appearance of GWR.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 03:41:45 AM »
While I haven't personally confirmed with Colin, my understanding is one can order a model un-numbered (or even possibly unpainted), so you could number it as you wish. Fox has some N gauge etched cabside number plates for the class.
I was thinking the same thing, though my original plan didn't include the Collett (my bank account is squealing), but my layout plans are right in the era where the change to shirtbutton happened, so Great Western will be on most tenders, and 3205 was built too late for me. I think I'll ask for a Great Western paint scheme without cab numbers for that reason.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:03:37 AM »
An advantage of Great Western locomotives is that one can purchase etched number plates and apply them to the locomotive.  Much easier, in my view, than re-numbering using transfers.  I've not yet had a desire to do this but, in time, I might.  Our ForumFriend @Chris in Prague is an expert on this and will be able to advise on the best sources of number plates.

Best wishes.

John

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 09:46:54 AM »
Thank you, John. I was first alerted to Narrow Planet etched number and shedcode plates by another forum member, Rob, alas, I forget when and his full name. I fully agree that using etched metal plates is much easier (and, I would suggest) better looking. However, the printed numberplates need to be removed from Graham Farish locos. as they appear to be slightly too large. Otherwise the loco. livery has to be VERY carefully painted around the edge. Not such a great problem with black.

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/custom-etched-products

If you enter ETCH25 at checkout you get 25% discount!

As can be seen, above, they produce a wide range of numberplates and shedcode plates. I choose the Pair of GWR number plates, plus a single British Railways smokebox number plate and shed code plate sets. However, they also produce Pair of GWR number plates. Max 4 digits. As some cabsisde plates were painted with a red background, you need to specify black or red. I think, for some reason, unpainted is also an available option for all plates.

If you require plates for absorbed stock (featuring a small 'GWR' above the number) enter GWR as a prefix to your chosen number.

Other companies, as well as BR, are available, e.g.. Set of plates for the smokebox front of British Railways steam locos. Consists of one number plate (square or rounded corners) and one shed code plate. I have ordered rounded corners for my BR Standard class locos., I hope that this is correct?

These items are produced to order, to your specification: "Our current lead time to delivery for custom etched items is around 6 - 8 weeks". So you need to be patient.

You get to see the 'proofs', as a PDF, before they are produced. To keep costs down, Narrow Planet operates on a batch production process. I have ordered a lot of 'plate sets for my BR SR and BR WR locos. and have always been very satisfied. For me, having the correct 'plate sets and liveries for my chosen time and place greatly adds to my enjoyment. (I also plan to renumber my local BR SR and BR WR coach sets plus some BR SR coach sets to match, too.)

There are various reference books apart from the Ian Allan books that list locos. and shedcodes over the years. I have those for BR SR and BR WR.

I do also use other suppliers of 'plates, especially for ex-GWR loco. names. Alas, the nameplates for some St. Blazey locos. are not available.

I hope that this helps.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:49:26 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
June Donations

Advertise Here