!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My Queen's Birthday long weekend track cleaning activity  (Read 273 times)

Offline Platy767

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
My Queen's Birthday long weekend track cleaning activity
« on: June 10, 2019, 07:07:45 AM »
In spite of many model and historic 12" to the foot rail related activities this Queens Birthday long weekend in Sydney,

http://www.eppingmodelrailway.org.au/exhibition/
https://www.transportheritageexpo.com/

none of which I managed to get to, I did manage to do a thorough track clean. I even bought a new track rubber, bottle of IPA and something called Track Magic. In the past I've used a Peco rubber followed by IPA, and even recently followed those up with a graphite pencil rub. This time I thought I would try some "newish" technology like Track Magic. The Gaugemaster rubber went over (seems to be a little bit crumblier than the PECO version) followed by a thorough wipe over with Isopropyl alcohol. A test run showed that while there was improvement, it was a long way from good enough. I broke out the Track Magic and applied it with cotton buds - and was surprised how much black stuff was cleaned off. There is a neat little Track Magic applicator that I used to clean the stock rail to switch rail interface on all the points. Another test run went very well and I'm very satisfied with the result. I'll see how long it lasts and if it damages any of the plastic bits on the track.

Mark

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
Re: My Queen's Birthday long weekend track cleaning activity
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 07:24:07 AM »
Thanks for your review. That was a well described method save me writing it on a busy day. Track magic is recommended. Others have their opinions

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 08:47:50 AM »
I wouldn’t recommend track magic in a TOMIX / DAPOL track cleaner it melted the tiny hole where the liquid comes out .The track cleaner is  still a very very good vacuum cleaner, so now I’ve got a TEN COMMANDMENTS cleaner and run both together then I  rub a soft graphite pencil on odd bits of track paying attention to the blades on the points .
Bob Tidbury

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 09:44:07 AM »
I only use track magic on sidings and yes bob i have a ten commandments rubber and that pencil. Busy now

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here