!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Problems with Peco Flexi Lengths N Scale  (Read 725 times)

Offline QLD KID

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Problems with Peco Flexi Lengths N Scale
« on: June 09, 2019, 06:27:32 AM »
G'day One and All, :wave:
I trust everyone is fit and well. I purchased 2 boxes of Peco Code 80 N Scale Flexi Track and while trying to cut or file the ends before joining lengths or laying track I found the wooden colour plastic sleepers kept peeling off.
 :veryangry:.. Hence I wasted a lot of bits of track and had to recut it. I finally got the S..S about it and contacted Peco and to be fair they have been very interested in the issue and are looking into it.
My question is has anybody else had the same issue. Both myself and Peco would be interested in hearing of it.
Cheers All :beers:
Denis the QLD KID.
Never take Life too serious we are never going to make it out alive.

Offline chrism

• Awards
Re: Problems with Peco Flexi Lengths N Scale
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 06:44:20 AM »
Can't say that I've had that problem and until 7 months ago a was a complete N-gauge novice.
I use an Xuron track cutter and find that it just needs a slight tickle with fine emery paper to clean off any resultant burr on the rail head - I usually leave a slight burr on the underside to help make the rail joiners a tight fit.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 06:47:41 AM »
Not sure what's peeling off, Denis? I have yards of the code 80 stuff, and the sleepers are made of brown plastic.

Or do you mean the sleepers are becoming detached from the rail? That can happen if it's not handled with care. The fixings are made of the same softish plastic as the sleepers, and any excessive  sideways motion of the rail (cutting or filing, for example) will almost certainly cause the rail to pop out of the fitting.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 07:39:43 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 08:09:42 AM »
Yes, it is easy for the sleepers to pop away from the track if you are not careful.
I generally cut flexi track lengths with the track held down flat on a table. I do the same if I have to cut the sleepers back in order to accommodate the rail joiners.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 08:35:55 AM »
Yes, the code 80 is rather fragile and can even come apart when you try to join sections together, especially if you inadvertently apply any twisting. You can usually slide the sleepers back on, if you are careful. The code 50 is much more robust.

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 09:19:59 AM »
All of the above advice I agree with. Cut your rail with Xuron cutters so there is no sideways force on the rail. File the rail ends flat very carefully with a fine toothed file or use a Dremel disc which is what I do. As has pointed out,code 55 is much more robust, but that is not going to help you if you've got two boxes of 80.

Webbo

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 09:23:20 AM »
I find flexi track a bit of a challenge and if I’m doing tight curves I opt for set track. I have found Tracksetta templates very useful when laying flexi track.

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 09:40:41 AM »
There are multiple solutions for tight curves, though the set track one is probably the best.

I used to solder two lengths together, and then curve it. Has held up reasonably well since 1989, but the odd joint fails.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 09:51:43 AM »
@QLD KID   you didn't say how you're cutting the track?   If you're using some sort of hacksaw or razor saw to cut code 80 track then it's important to use some sort of clamp to take the strain off the chairs. If I'm usign a saw then I also use a scrap of wood with two grooves cut to the same as the track gauge.

Generally though, if the track is not already in situ then I use a cutting disk in a mini drill, it's slick and easy and you can also de-burr the cut end with the side of the disk.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 10:16:56 AM »
Also worth noting the track is meant to only bend on one side so you have to take this into account when making your curves..

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 10:21:39 AM »
Not Code 80!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 10:45:30 AM »
Denis, I replaced all my code 80 with code 55 years ago as the code 55 looks better and is stronger, especially when curving it. I found the code 80 very easily pulled itself out of the chairs when trying to curve it as it sits on the plastic rather than being set into it (see attached Peco notes).
It's a nightmare to try and cut curved track using a block/razor saw and I always use the Xuron cutters referred to above. The blades are angled so you need to ensure they are used upright to get a decent cut rather than an oblique one.
Not a lot of help to you as you've just bought so much code 80 :(

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 11:14:24 AM »
I have code 80 because there was nothing else at the time.

Yeah, it can be difficult, but like life, it's a learning curve. I'm currently on crutches and have learned the best techniques by trial and error.

Same with handling Code 80, though I question why Code 55 was not chosen!

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 12:37:57 PM »
I agree with ntpntpntp. I use Code 80 because I picked up a job lot of new track cheaply. I don't use a saw to cut it because of the problem of the rails jumping out of the chairs, I use a pair of manly wire cutters.

Years ago I had some Minitrix flexi-track. In many ways it was very good - the rails stayed very clean so it was useful in tunnels, and the sleepers were pre-drilled for track pins, but you only had to breathe on it and the rails came away. I reluctantly binned it all in the end.

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline Intercity

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 01:28:20 PM »
Could you use the code 80 in a hidden fiddle yard/off-scene and go for code 55 for the viewable layout?
Support crowdfunding - it’s the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, let’s make it happen.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations