!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Whats an O gauge modeller doing on an N gauge forum?  (Read 552 times)

Offline ianzrail

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Whats an O gauge modeller doing on an N gauge forum?
« on: June 08, 2019, 10:20:26 PM »
Having modelled in O gauge for over 40 years and having no intention of stopping you would be right to ask why am I on this forum?

I have just formed a small model railway group in my village (South Zeal Model Railway Group, based in South Zeal, Devon) and we want to build a modular N gauge layout.  This will be based on 4' x 2' boards and only one member currently models in N gauge so it's a learning curve for the rest of us!

Also going to use DCC which brings up the key question...

"We would like to know what command controllers have proved their worth in exhibition conditions for N gauge layouts."

Ian

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Whats an O gauge modeller doing on an N gauge forum?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 10:25:19 PM »
Welcome!

Possible the single most divisive question you could have asked!

It'll basically depend entirely on your personal preference, whether you like physical buttons and knobs, or touch screens, or want to use your own phone/tablet, how much you want to spend etc etc.

You can do far worse than go to an exhibition and try a few out.

A few things that are likely to come up (and I'd check out):

- ACE SignaTrak
- NCE Powercab
- ESU ECoS
- Roco z21/Z21
- Digikeijs DR5000

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 10:40:51 PM »
Hi Ian and welcome!

Nothing wrong with coming to here from other scales!    I have a little bit of everything from T to G, but N is my main interest.

Which modular standard are you guys going to follow?   These days I actually build my modules to the German N-Club International standard (well at least the outside ends of my contribution follow their profile and wiring standards), having met some of NCI guys at a show here in the UK back in 2002 and been invited to take my layout over there.

As njee20 says the choice of DCC system is very much based on personal preferences and experience, there are a few that are worth considering depending on how you like to operate, and naturally different folk will suggest their favourite.  I don't run DCC in N, but for my HOe and my G scale I'm a fan of NCE equipment as a proven brand with a throttle that I find comfortable to use (proper knobs and buttons, I'm not a fan of touch screen phones etc. for operation). I believe NCE is popular for club/group layouts in the US.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 11:18:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  I dabble in 5" gauge, but my favourite is N.  :)

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 11:25:26 PM »
Good to see yet another another modeller come to their senses  ;) :thumbsup:

Welcome!  :beers:

Should be an interesting project. Looking forward to developments!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 12:13:57 AM »
This is an indirect response.

If you want to test DCC circuits and locos in DC mode its worth getting a Morley Controller.  I find they are the kindest DC controllers for DCC locos.

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 12:20:21 AM »
Hi Ian :wave: and welcome aboard! :wave:

In answer to the question posed in the thread title: searching for enlightenment(?). :D I'll get my coat. :-[
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 01:07:51 AM »
And there I was thinking that you were going to model a 16" gauge line at a theme park, stately home or some other attraction on an O-gauge layout.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 10:17:08 AM »
Hi Ian, and welcome to the forum :wave:
Any chance you can get to a show and ask DCC operators/maybe get a bit of 'hands on' experience?
Even better if there is a trader there with the appropriate kit/knowledge you can try.

Offline ianzrail

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »
Many thanks for all the kind comments.  Yes, I have thought of N gauge in O - comes to about 1'3" so RHDR would be possible....  I already have O-16.5 on the layout.

As regards the question posed I knew it would give numerous comments as I have seen in exhibitions various setups for DCC.  The group needs to make choices both on the modular board standards and DCC so much to be planned in the next couple of months before commiting.

Always an exciting time before one gets down to the hard work and the realisation that comprimise will have to be used if anything is going to be achieved.

Ian

Online jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 03:29:48 PM »
On the controller side, one other thing to look for is whether they support all the features that you may need.

For example, over on RMWEB, a member is complaining that his Cobalt point motors don't work correctly with his Bachman Dynamis controller, it turns out that the Dynamis is the problem as it only supports 100 accessory decoder addresses and the Cobalts use addresses 197 & 198 (or some such) when they are being setup.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 08:08:45 PM »
Hi there if you are building a modular layout there is a good modular section in 00 gauge on RM web,I am sure the mods on here will not have a go at me for telling you that, although there has not been much activity on it lately. Anything else you want to know regarding n-gauge this is the best site, we are always pleased to help.There are some good ideas on there though regarding modular sections, I have built my N gauge DCC layout using similar principles, I use banana plugs to connect the dcc bus from one board to another and it works well. I am using the NCE Powercab System, but with a Smart Booster and additional sockets around the layout, so I can move the control handset without stopping the layout from running, with a basic Powercab the control centre is in the handset.
I think building a modular railway using n-gauge is brilliant just think what you could achieve, you just need to set some standards so everyone is using the same set.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 08:10:40 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 08:49:49 PM »
Hi Ian. There is nothing I can add to the above comments, but, welcome to the friendliest forum around.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 12:17:24 PM »

Also going to use DCC which brings up the key question...

"We would like to know what command controllers have proved their worth in exhibition conditions for N gauge layouts."

Ian
s

A trip to  the /DCC section of the forum will provide a mass of contradictory advice on choice of DCC systems!

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=8.0

However it largely boils down to
1) do you want wire free controllers with graphical inter gp face , or wired with buttons/ knobs - everyone has a smart phone / tablet ( almost) so spare controllers are not a problem!!

2) what functions do you want ( apart from loco control).   Ie point control/ accessories ( best supported by secondary bus rather than use track signal)

3) do you want DIY approach - MERG kits + JMRI s/w for control - cheaper, flexible but needs some electronic nouse

4) buy a DCC chip tester as a starter - helps fault finding +++
Also a small test layout to get familiarity with the tech and test point control would be an idea before launching into modules

I’m a Z21 fan, and find it easy and intuitive to use with iPad as controller. Adding / configuring locos is simple, and it support small on screen layouts, with graphical control of points.

There may be other points of view...
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline ianzrail

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 05:55:17 PM »
We're moving forward and now have two 3' x 3' end boards and 4 4' x 2' boards being worked on.  We're using Roco Z21 DCC which seems to be fine with Peco Code 80 track so we can run older stock.  One member has a 30 year old Garrett which would look fine on the layout.
So, N Gauge DCC is fine and even sound seems pretty good.  Coming from O gauge it is amazing what can be achieved in 1:148 instead of 1:43 scale.

Many thanks for the support given by the forum.

Ian

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything