!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: LM2596 units  (Read 361 times)

Online DarrwestLU6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
Re: LM2596 units
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 11:18:36 AM »
@lil chris - I follow what Platy767 is saying and can read the circuit diagram in the file but just in case you can't follow it - what he is saying is adjust the adjustable screw as we suggest, (that is r2 = resistor 2 = a variable resistor, aka a potentiometer), when it gets to the right value it will give you 9v straight out of the power supply. No faffing about with extra resistors....

Try it by measure the voltage with your meter (it might be a good idea to put one of the station lamps in circuit so you can have a realistic load on there, just to be sure) and try adjusting the screw down until the meter reads 9V. It should work.

PS - If I remember rightly the Dapol Semaphores say you need to power with 16V AC. I have not tried using DC, does that work OK?

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: LM2596 units
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 07:40:38 PM »
Thanks again @DarrwestLU6 for you help, yes I read the Dapol semiphore signals are more reliable on about 9v dc. I have mine running on 12v dc, it works ok but the led is a little bright. So the plan is to use another of the LM2596 units to drop the voltage to 9v dc, you have to solder the wires onto them to prepare for use anyway so I can try one before installing on the layout. Thanks again for your help and encouragement, I will get there sooner or later.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here