!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiring points in fiddle yard area  (Read 177 times)

Offline springwood

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Wiring points in fiddle yard area
« on: June 07, 2019, 06:28:09 PM »
The 'core' to my layout comprises twin ovals which I refer to as UP and DOWN mainlines. A backscene will hide a fiddle yard and the down main will have two storage loops (labelled roads 2 and 3 on attached sketch). Due to what points I had available etc, there are 2 insulfrogs and 2 electrofrogs. I have track feeds coming in from each end of the f/yard.

Question: Road 1 is already laid and I have put in a double rail break towards the right-hand end..rightly or wrongly. Not yet glued down roads 2 and 3 so am in time to ask - will I need any insulated double rail breaks and if so, where to place and why? Thank you

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 08:22:15 PM by Newportnobby »

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Wiring points in fiddle yard area
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 07:07:18 PM »
With those two electrofrog points where you have them (and without any rail breaks) you will get a short circuit unless both points are ALWAYS set to the same line.  Not necessarily a problem if all you intend to do is run one train into one line then change both points to select the train in the other line.  It's only a problem if you wanted to be able to run one train in and one train out at the same time (something I do on my line from time to time).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 08:22:46 PM by Newportnobby »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline springwood

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 07:16:41 PM »
Oops - excuse the typo on the spelling of yard - didn't notice when I posted oroginally!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 08:23:35 PM »
What typo? :angel: :angel: ;)

Online jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 09:43:45 PM »
If you are going DC then two sets of insulated joiners on one of the Electrofrogs, to isolate roads 2 and 3 should be sufficient.
If you are going DCC and want lights on when locos are in the yard then you'll need 4 sets of insulating joiners 2 on each of the Electrofrogs. Then you'll also need a power feed to roads 2 and 3.

Regards,

John P

Offline springwood

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 10:22:52 PM »
John,
I am doing dc wiring so I think the best (and most sensible) thing to do will be to place a set of IRJs mid-way along roads 2 and 3.
9 times out of 10 I will operating as ntpntpntp says (i.e. 'run one train into one line then change both points to select the train in the other line').  Putting in IRJs I am safeguarding against a short in the event that only one point changes and I also have the option to 'to run one train in and one train out at the same time'.

Online jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 10:36:41 PM »
If you put them in the middle, make sure that their location is clearly marked and visible to you, otherwise you run the risk of driving a loco over the joiners and causing a short circuit.

Regards,

John P

Offline springwood

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 09:08:53 AM »
Yes, thanks for that 'word of warning'. Thinking about it a bit more, I think it will make better sense to place the IRJs at the extreme right-hand end of roads 2 and 3, particularly as trains are entering from the left. OK, that will mean there will not be the option to 'to run one train in and one train out at the same time', but that would virtually never happen anyway so it's not a problem.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything