!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New Dapol Class 38 very slow  (Read 552 times)

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: New Dapol Class 38 very slow
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2019, 02:40:41 PM »
Highly worthwhile investment.

Cheap DC controllers from Bachmann split from train sets can be got for as little as £10 to £15.

Without being able to isolate a basic mechanical or electrical fault, you'll always have problems or assume it's DCC problems when it may not be. A loco must run well on DC before considering any DCC fit - DCC will not fix bad runners.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline fastpud

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 04:14:24 PM »
Just uploaded a short video to YouTube to show how slow it is. The video is with class 38xx running a max speed with no restrictions via CVs -the Pannier has acceleration setting but no max.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2019, 04:52:10 PM »
Comparing with the pannier is pointless. It has a  completely different 3 pole can motor as compared the 38xx which has 5 pole skew wound. It will never run as fast, and was never designed to.

Has the model been run in for an hour? These motors can speed up as they bed in.

Testing on DC would be desirable. Measurement of the current draw would be desirable.

Beyond that CV8 -> 8 will reset the decoder. I highly doubt this is a DCC issue though.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2019, 05:30:05 PM »
@Fastpud
As the loco is new I'd be reluctant to try another chip or remove the chip/insert blanking plate to test on DC as it could give the supplier all the excuse required to say you had done something to it to cause the fault. Sorry, but I'm in the 'return it' camp.

Offline fastpud

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2019, 06:20:18 PM »
Yes, I kinda feel that is the way to go too.
Was thinking of switching it for a  class 68xx ‘Grange’ would that be prototypical for passenger mainlines?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2019, 09:04:21 PM »
Personally I consider the Grange to be a 'mixed traffic' loco and, if you want a more passenger orientated loco, I'd plump for a 'Castle' although some reports have been made the latest Farish version has limited haulage capacity, especially on gradients.

Offline fastpud

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 12:59:00 PM »
Decided to return loco to Hattons as it was so new and have ordered a "Grange" replacement. Since  Newportnobby suggested  a grange was mixed traffic I decided that it would better suit rather than an passenger only loco. Hopefully this loco runs better.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything