!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dave Jones  (Read 3236 times)

Offline Chris Morris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
Dave Jones
« on: June 07, 2019, 08:20:18 AM »
So DJ Models is no more. I think this is sad for Dave and very bad news for us N gaugers. I've lost my deposit on a king which is a shame but I fully realised there was a risk to this investment. There will no doubt be many people knocking DJM which is fair enough. 

At this difficult time I would like to say thanks to Dave Jones for all the work he did while at Dapol and for furthering the cause of British N gauge. I almost certainly would not have gone for N gauge if it wasn't for the models that Dapol produced while Dave was in charge of product development. I hope Dave gets over this and wish him well for the future.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 12:11:17 PM by Chris Morris »

Offline Elvenhome

• N Gauge Society Number: 25842
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: David Jones
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 08:50:47 AM »
I too cant help but think of the man at the centre of this. I knew the risk whenI ordered my three Kings and treated the money as gone once I paid the first payment. My loss will be as nothing to the loss Dave Jones will be experiencing and I do feel for him. I spoke to him at the Perth Model Show a couple of years ago and his passion and desire to bring the King project to fruition was clear. It was why I was prepared to take the risk of investing in the crowd funded model.
I at least have the comfort of spending the money set aside to meet the second payment at Warley this year.  Things will be pretty bleak for Dave at the moment and I do wish him well and hope things turn for the better for him as soon as possible

Offline crepello

• N Gauge Society Number: 3956
    • Awards
Re: Dave Jones
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 01:57:03 PM »
Well said guys.

Offline sg

• N Gauge Society Number: 20842
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 10:31:14 PM »
Great point about the models produced by Dapol when he was there, thinking about it they are many of my favourite models.

Offline elmo

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 05:57:58 AM »
As a fellow King deposit loser I would like to echo the comments above.
Thanks for the locos

Elmo

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 09:21:50 AM »
No idea how much the deposit was but if it's over 100 and you paid by credit card you may be able to claim back under "Section 75". https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-act

Offline Dickydcc

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 09:51:46 AM »
I have to say you're all taking it better than I would have if I had lost money! This is a sad loss to the hobby I was very interested in the class 17 & 23 but would have had a J94 for sure. Fortunately for me the Thetford  Rd finance department doesn't like to pay out money without getting a loco, I only got away with the Hunslet because its coming through the Society. 

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 10:28:23 AM »
I'm kinda pleased to see this thread taking a very different tone from the other thread.

Though more difficult when talking about a one-man-band, I thinks it's right to separate the person from the business. The failure of DJM will affect many, but I doubt that anyone will be more affected than Dave Jones. I can see this taking a terrible toll on his health and I fear for his mental health.

I hope this thread can continue as a more supportive (of the individual human being) counter point to the naturally more critical and damning (of the business) theme of the other thread. After all, I very much doubt that Dave Jones set out with the intention of hurting anybody.
We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland, UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Dickydcc

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 12:18:01 PM »
I think the writing was on the wall after the failure of the class 17. There is a market for different models to the mainstream, look at Union Mills.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 12:50:25 PM »
I think the writing was on the wall after the failure of the class 17. There is a market for different models to the mainstream, look at Union Mills.

I agree. Just looking at RTR locos, we've got a UK 'brand' of a global manufacturer (Farish); we've got a homegrown manufacturer (Dapol); and we've got independents (like Union Mills), crowdfunded projects (like the Pendolino from Revolution), and a even one-off from the N Gauge Society in the form of the the Hunslet shunter.

Whatever has happened at DJM, like @Chris Morris I can't help but be grateful for Dave Jones' sterling work at Dapol. The development of the 'Baby Warship' and the 'Western' involved many expert modellers and enthusiasts of these classes in an unprecedented way, and the resulting models fully justified that effort.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline David Asquith

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23346
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 03:54:08 PM »
Sorry to hear this and I echo the sentiments of others on here.  I was looking forward to  a DCC ready J94 but Ill now have to source one elsewhere and have it converted.

Online Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 09:34:10 AM »
No idea how much the deposit was but if it's over 100 and you paid by credit card you may be able to claim back under "Section 75". https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-act

Its for goods worth over the amount of 100 and not exceeding 30,000. Which means if the initial deposit was made using a credit card e.g 50 the consumer is covered by section 75 for the full amount, irrespective if the remaining balance was paid using a bank transfer or cheque.

Hope that helps.

Offline Ashio

• N Gauge Society Number: 26359
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 03:45:49 PM »
Yes I fully agree. Thanks to Dave and I hope he gets to see the positive comments.

Even if I do lose my King deposit, 67 is a small price to pay for trying to make something good happen, goodness knows how much money I have saved over the years from making good deals etc from bargain bins or auctions. It comes and goes, and I knew what I was in for when paying the deposit. Lets just hope someone buys the various CAD etc and tries again with some decent self funded monies.
Berescombe - 1930's fictional GWR build: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31337.0

Offline 1936ace

• N Gauge Society Number: 22564
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 04:00:18 AM »
Hi all
I will miss his models especially the items I had pre ordered and paid for. Like others have said we have lost only a small amount compared the Dave Im sure plus all the negative press he has had to face
That said I have just received a call from my bank to say they have refunded the full amount I have paid for what I had ordered from DJM
Hoping others are as understanding and I hope Dave is looking after himself during this aweful period for him
Cheers

Offline BR Signalman

• N Gauge Society Number: 20485
  • 2mm Association Number: 5110
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 06:47:18 PM »
I can only add to all the others who are disappointed not to get the Class 17 and the King that I would have really liked to have. Dave dared to try and my sympathies totally lie with him. Thank you for trying, Dave.
 :thankyousign:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here