!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Coniston Railway  (Read 3544 times)

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: The Coniston Railway
« Reply #180 on: December 03, 2019, 12:29:07 PM »
I like your dry stone walls, Chris.  How did you make them?

Cheers, mate. They are based on photographs taken of all the walls that I could find at Coniston. Having got them, I rescaled the photos to 2mm/ft and turned them into A4 prints, either as individual strips or by carefully replicating and joining the images to get a full sheet. I have some that are level, some with a slight gradient and some with a steeper gradient.

I print those out onto decent 160gsm card and stick a layer onto each face of some 2mm card before adding a layer on top, also adapted from a photo. If the wall needs to be curved, sloping or (worse) both, I shape the base card first before adding the surface sheets.

They aren't completely prototypical because they shouldn't be flat-topped, but I haven't worked out a not too laborious way of adding hundreds of varying size/shape vertical stones with which most slate walls in the Lakes tend to be capped.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: December 03, 2019, 12:41:16 PM »
They aren't completely prototypical because they shouldn't be flat-topped, but I haven't worked out a not too laborious way of adding hundreds of varying size/shape vertical stones with which most slate walls in the Lakes tend to be capped.
Thanks for that.  I have been using ScaleScenes square rubble sheets fixed to 3mm plastic sheeting and I came to the same conclusion about the tops.  It would be really good to be able to create the vertical pieces, but it might take several years to complete a wall.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2019, 12:47:17 PM »
Thanks for that.  I have been using ScaleScenes square rubble sheets fixed to 3mm plastic sheeting and I came to the same conclusion about the tops.  It would be really good to be able to create the vertical pieces, but it might take several years to complete a wall.

You're probably not wrong there - still, when I've got all four stations done I'll have some time to kill, because I don't have room to build more  :D

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: December 03, 2019, 01:46:01 PM »
Could one not use das clay cut indivudually? I have heard this method used before
 Look forward to the next instalment

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #184 on: Yesterday at 08:35:23 AM »
Could one not use das clay cut indivudually? I have heard this method used before
 Look forward to the next instalment

Probably as easy to use suitable coloured card - preferably with the core the same colour as the face.

However, at a true spacing of 6-8" I'd still have to make and fix what seems like thousands of them  :'(

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: Yesterday at 09:09:27 AM »
One possibility that has occurred to me is to creat a triangular section running along the length of the top of the wall and then apply stone paper such that the courses run across the top of the wall.  It's something I might try out, although it might look a bit too even.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #186 on: Yesterday at 09:38:25 AM »
One possibility that has occurred to me is to creat a triangular section running along the length of the top of the wall and then apply stone paper such that the courses run across the top of the wall.  It's something I might try out, although it might look a bit too even.

Up here, it definitely needs to look "rough" for it to look right.

In other developments, Torver has now suffered serious subsidence and is set up approximately 8 feet lower than it was, in my lounge. The fiddle yard has had a damned good clean to rid it of all the detritus that it acquired whilst I was landscaping Torver in front of it and, later, Woodland off one end and all seems to be running nice and smoothly.

I've spent this morning so far waving a tape measure around to work out the correct location for Coniston to suffer similar subsidence and join Torver in the lounge, so that I can, firstly, let a point into the back of Coniston and, secondly, make link boards to join the two - one for Torver with fiddle yard and one for Torver without fiddle yard, the latter being for if I set three up so the fiddle yard goes behind Woodland instead.

Then I can look at inventing the means of seeing all the tracks from the backs of the layouts - I've already established that I can't see Torver if the backscene is fitted and already knew that I wouldn't be able to with Coniston so some arrangement of lightweight mirrors is definitely required for both.

I've also got a load of uncouplers to make for Haverthwaite and an alteration to make on its control panel. What with also having Woodland's buildings still to make, I somehow doubt that I'll be bored for some time to come  ;D
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:45:15 AM by chrism »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #187 on: Yesterday at 09:42:35 AM »
Bob tidbury installed mini cameras chris but the mirrors idea would work well

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #188 on: Yesterday at 09:46:39 AM »
Bob tidbury installed mini cameras chris but the mirrors idea would work well

I'm trying to keep it low tech - anyway, the supports for the mirrors can also hold nameboard and information panels, possibly some lighting too.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: Yesterday at 03:18:25 PM »

Then I can look at inventing the means of seeing all the tracks from the backs of the layouts - I've already established that I can't see Torver if the backscene is fitted and already knew that I wouldn't be able to with Coniston so some arrangement of lightweight mirrors is definitely required for both.

My hi-tech solution.............

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6094.msg469050#msg469050

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #190 on: Yesterday at 03:30:56 PM »

My hi-tech solution.............

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6094.msg469050#msg469050

Cheers mate, my thoughts are along those lines but I'll probably need more than two mirrors. I've got lots of electromagnetic uncouplers that I'll need to be able to get the locations lined up reliably - especially the ones at the north end of the platforms on Coniston since I'll need to uncouple to run the locos round, except, of course, the push-pull set.
The excursions from Blackpool need to be more than just run round - they'll need to be uncoupled and sent sent light engine back down the line to and past whichever is the southernmost station in the setup so they can appear to go to Millom for turning before returning light engine to pick up the train again, in other words, to wherever I've put the fiddle yard  ;)
Ideally I'll have mirrors directly above all the uncouplers, the number depending on how they best fit.

Plenty of playing, no, testing, no, what the heck, playing to occupy me  :D

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #191 on: Yesterday at 04:55:26 PM »
Very effective what mick managed. Chris  look forward  to  the  next instalment and coniston

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything