!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Deadwood layout - unabridged and illustrated  (Read 25470 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Deadwood layout - unabridged and illustrated
« Reply #240 on: April 27, 2019, 12:18:38 PM »
Thanks for the update. Wishing you success.

Offline grumbeast

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #241 on: April 27, 2019, 04:03:31 PM »
Great looking progress!  I miss the the Alco bigs, and the M420s I remember seeing them a lot when I lived in New Brunswick, alas itís was a tough time in my life and I didnít get out taking photos much

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #242 on: May 05, 2019, 09:03:40 AM »
Success!

The step that I feared most in making this kit was painting it so that the white stripe separated the upper light green from the lower dark green in the vicinity of the lightning bolt. The white stripe is a decal that is only about 0.5mm wide so the paint job applied beforehand had to be at least this accurate in position in the vicinity of the 'Z' as this is the shape of the decal there. Jeff Briggs from Briggs Models gave me a tip on how to do this that may be useful for others wanting to match decal shapes with paint jobs. Basically, I used my printer to create a life sized copy of the decal. Then after printing the JPEG on paper (or a number of them as there were a few failures), I laid the paper image on top of Tamiya masking tape and cut along the middles of the white lines with an Xacto knife to obtain a mask that followed the shape of the decal. It worked on both sides of the locomotive! If I can do this anyone can. Here is a photo of the result.

I'm impressed with the quality of the Microscale decals I've been using for this job. They're not exactly robust, but even so they don't fall apart when you look at them unlike some decals I've had a recent experience with.

Next step is the application of detail parts which includes door handles. You can imagine how big they are in N scale.

Webbo

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #243 on: May 05, 2019, 09:13:38 AM »
That's amazing, mate. You wouldn't tell the difference between that and a proprietary product.

Well done son!!!

Treat yourself to a well deserved beer on Bealman.

Oops, I owe half a dozen from a couple of years back  :-[

Seriously, a fantastic job, Ian.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #244 on: May 05, 2019, 11:35:15 AM »
That's amazing, mate. You wouldn't tell the difference between that and a proprietary product.

Well done son!!!

Treat yourself to a well deserved beer on Bealman.

Oops, I owe half a dozen from a couple of years back  :-[

Seriously, a fantastic job, Ian.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Seconded! Congratulations. Excellent job.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #245 on: May 08, 2019, 07:27:28 AM »
Great paint job Webbo!  :beers:

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #246 on: May 08, 2019, 11:03:09 AM »
It came out nice! Well done to you. In the future, you might want to consider painting white underneath such white stripes, as otherwise the green will bleed through and distort the white look. You can use microtape for this. I have painted a lot of intricate details using my airbrush and the key to success is always to layer your paint to achieve your desire outcome and taking time masking things up!

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #247 on: June 02, 2019, 11:38:32 AM »
Hello folks

At long last I've manged to complete my British Columbia Railway M630 kit. If I'd known what was in front of me, I'm not certain that I would have started it, but at least now I have a model of a locomotive that I would not be able to obtain any other way. You would not know it by looking at it from more than 20 cm away, but the loco contains over 70 detail parts including lift rings and door handles which quite frankly are unnecessary details and which caused me a lot of grief to fit.

My M630 kit is derived from an Atlas model of a C630 painted in Canadian Pacific Railway maroon and grey colours. The motor, chassis, and cab remain from that model. My kit includes replacement body, fuel tank, and trucks as well as a whole lot of detail parts and a new paint job. The following two photos compare my completed model (top) with a C630 (bottom) also painted in BCR colours (a locomotive configuration that never existed). The BCR C630 is also destined for a makeover by me to turn it into a C630-M which did exist. The C630-M will require transfer of the headlights to the nose as well as a replacement fuel tank and trucks. I think that Atlas has got the light green on their model too dark so a new paint job will be in order as well if I'm feeling up to it.

Fun and games!

Webbo

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #248 on: June 02, 2019, 11:46:36 AM »
Very impressive work.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #249 on: June 03, 2019, 07:09:11 AM »
 :greatpicturessign:  :thumbsup: Great work!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #250 on: June 03, 2019, 07:51:49 AM »
A credit to you, Ian.  :thumbsup:

You are a modeller of many talents!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #251 on: June 04, 2019, 05:14:01 PM »
Oh! those are beautiful.. always thought BCRails green livery was such a pretty one, better than the red white and blue, these are really an inspiration.

on a related note, I'm having a week's vacation staying in a cabin on the ex-BCR line from North Van to Squamish, in a couple of weeks, and apparently there are still a couple of trains running up to Lillooet and Prince George, I'll post pics

keep up the amazing work!

Graham

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #252 on: June 05, 2019, 11:35:53 AM »
Thanks Graham

I agree that the two-tone green of the British Columbia Railway looks pretty good. IMO one of the best looking loco liveries from anywhere. And, by comparison the newer BCR red, white, and blue livery certainly looks pretty ordinary. Now it's all CN. When I was a kid I lived two blocks up from the railway line you mention (in Dundarave in West Vancouver) and used to hear the trains passing in the night.

Webbo

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations