!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The end of DJ Models?  (Read 10208 times)

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
Re: The end of DJ Models?
« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2019, 03:22:44 PM »
unfortunatly for me my deposit was by debit card rather than credit card, so im boned!
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: June 12, 2019, 03:26:54 PM »
I have a series of documents in my inbox from the liquidator.  Not read them yet. Will post if important later

Its the formal notification of appointment of the Administrators and asking the creditors to approve their fees.  standard stuff and it includes the clam form which needs to be filled in and returned.

FYI. this entire process can take years.

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2019, 03:28:54 PM »
I have a series of documents in my inbox from the liquidator.  Not read them yet. Will post if important later

Its the formal notification of appointment of the Administrators and asking the creditors to approve their fees.  standard stuff and it includes the clam form which needs to be filled in and returned.

Is it better to just pursue the credit card company if we have paid that way?
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Online Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2019, 03:37:28 PM »

Is it better to just pursue the credit card company if we have paid that way?

I have a £30 deposit for a class 92 that was paid by PayPal and they wont pay up so i'm pursuing that directly.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 03:40:41 PM by Snowwolflair »

Offline Fardap

• N Gauge Society Number: 26027
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: June 12, 2019, 04:13:32 PM »
Items priced at more than £100, even if you paid for only some of it on credit card. So if you paid £30 on credit card but the item was for sale at £150, you are entitled to a refund of the full amount.

https://www.finder.com/uk/what-happens-when-you-get-a-credit-card-refund

Online PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: June 12, 2019, 04:46:47 PM »
unfortunatly for me my deposit was by debit card rather than credit card, so im boned!

Hi

You could try the chargeback option
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-do-i-use-chargeback

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline Cape Town Trev

• N Gauge Society Number: 7499
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: June 12, 2019, 05:33:35 PM »
Items priced at more than £100, even if you paid for only some of it on credit card. So if you paid £30 on credit card but the item was for sale at £150, you are entitled to a refund of the full amount.

I presume a full refund of the actual amount paid i.e. 30 Pounds and not 150 Pounds  :)

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2019, 07:10:16 PM »

Hi

You could try the chargeback option
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-do-i-use-chargeback

Cheers

Paul

Try, but don't be overly optimistic.   Credit Cards have legal force (section 75).  Chargeback is where the card provider recovers the money from the retailer and refunds you - in this case the retailer is in liquidation, so the chargeback will, I expect, be stuck as the company being liquidated has no funds to cover the chargeback. 

I presume a full refund of the actual amount paid i.e. 30 Pounds and not 150 Pounds  :)

Yes, your losses only - if you paid out a total of £30, you have a loss of £30.   
However, had you paid £30 deposit on credit card, and then subsequent payment of £100 by another method, so were now £130 out of pocket, then your Section 75 claim against the card is for your entire loss of £130 (up to the £30,000 limit under Section 75). 

Section 75 protection is very good, and is one reason to put a car purchase deposit, or other high value transaction deposits (holidays, big ticket home items, etc), on a credit card even if planning to settle the balance through other means - should things go badly wrong, you can take action against the card company for the entire loss.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #203 on: June 12, 2019, 08:14:03 PM »

In France the process takes 2 years maximum.

Offline Cape Town Trev

• N Gauge Society Number: 7499
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: June 12, 2019, 08:27:26 PM »
Liquidator’s letter refers to tooling in China / Hong Kong and deposits paid by DJM. They say negotiations could be protracted and legal advice needed. Also states someone may be interested in IP rights I think.
Voting form and claim form to be returned by 1 July.

Offline Dickydcc

• Awards
« Reply #205 on: June 12, 2019, 08:36:08 PM »
Does that mean there is a chance someone  could pick up the pecies & actually have some models to sell?

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: June 12, 2019, 10:06:59 PM »
Does that mean there is a chance someone  could pick up the pecies & actually have some models to sell?

It is possible but it most likely refers to something like the Mermaid which is a completed model. Buying the tooling for that could be a canny purchase if the price is right as you could bash off another run every couple of years for minimal investment. It could be a nice little earner.

The projects that were in progress are likely to be more problematic. I would consider them unlikely but anything is possible.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline pesky badger

• N Gauge Society Number: 22788
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: June 13, 2019, 08:32:12 AM »
The original web page is still online if you need it (I found it via the wayback machine, which hadn't actually archived it but said the real page was still present)

https://djmodels.co.uk/product/gwr-4-6-0-king-6000-class

Suggest grab a screen shot sooner rather than later.

[edit] pdf capture of the page is attached.

ps - no I haven't ordered anything from DJM myself.

Many thanks

Stu

Online honk843

• N Gauge Society Number: 1800
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: June 13, 2019, 10:29:45 AM »
I ordered 2 x Kings from DJM and paid the appropriate deposit of £135 by debit card. The problem I think is that the amount should be reclaimed within 120 days and I paid it in August 2018. I had a similar problem with Modelmaster although the amount was under £100.

Does anyone know if there is a way round the time limit or does it apply from the time of liquidation for example?

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #209 on: June 13, 2019, 10:54:38 AM »
I ordered 2 x Kings from DJM and paid the appropriate deposit of £135 by debit card. The problem I think is that the amount should be reclaimed within 120 days and I paid it in August 2018. I had a similar problem with Modelmaster although the amount was under £100.

Does anyone know if there is a way round the time limit or does it apply from the time of liquidation for example?

The law around debit cards is different to credit cards.   So, I think your chances of getting anything are low. 

Credit Cards have "Section 75" protection; when stuff goes wrong, and if the total price of the item is between £100 and £30,000 and some of it was paid on a credit card (ie. a £30 deposit on a £150 loco is covered), then Section 75 applies, and the consumer has an absolute right to pursue either the retailer or the card provider for their losses.  The customer's loss is the total amount of money they paid out. Card companies will end up paying out on the lost deposits under Section 75 claims.
Things get complicated when PayPal rears its head - if people put money into their PayPal account and used that to buy stuff, then its outside Section75, but I think that if they used a Credit Card to pay DJM, and it happens that DJM's payment portal uses PayPal, then it is under Section75.  (In the latter case, DJM's payment portal could be any card payment mechanism). 

Debit Cards have just the standard consumer law.  There is "Charge Back", but that relies on the card issuer being able to recover their money from the retailer (they auto-debit the retailer's bank account for the amount).  As DJ Models is in the hands of the liquidator, there isn't a bank account with money to be debited, so I doubt the Charge Back would go through.    As a result, I think you're a creditor who hasn't been paid. 

Advice is do two things simultaneously:
1  try getting your card provider to refund you, it may work.   (I have low confidence in this).
2  register that you are a creditor with the liquidators for DJ Models - do this promptly, you've got a couple of weeks.  Then, should there be any money left when things are sorted out, you might get something back.

Having done those, go and do some modelling or feed the cat. Assume the money won't come back, be happy if anything does appear. 

( Its situations like this which illustrate just how useful Section 75 protection is to consumers: significant purchase deposits paid with a credit card have automatic protection, even when the retailer is bust.   Usually we see it in small airline failures, retailers (particularly furniture/kitchens) where the deposits have gone - those who used a credit card have Section 75 to refund all losses, those without are lucky to see anything back.   ). 

- Nigel

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything