!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The end of DJ Models?  (Read 24618 times)

Offline Tfc49

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The end of DJ Models?
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »
For avoidance of doubt, Digitrains are saying that DJM are in receivership and that the King project is no more.

For more information, see https://www.digitrains.co.uk/events/d-j-models-king-george-v/

Digitrains are still going strong.

Offline Shiney Sheff

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23792
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2019, 02:18:10 PM »
Just read the thread on RMweb, they are saying an official announcement will be published by DJ on his website at 7.00pm tonight. Hopefully this will stop all speculation as to what has happened and what will happen in the future.

Bob

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2019, 02:20:40 PM »
https://www.digitrains.co.uk/events/d-j-models-king-george-v/ Digitrains are saying they are in receivership now and their King model is cancelled
That link also says that refunds should be forthcoming.  :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline NGS-PO

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2019, 02:27:57 PM »
https://www.digitrains.co.uk/events/d-j-models-king-george-v/ Digitrains are saying they are in receivership now and their King model is cancelled

Of course that statement only applies to orders made with digitrains.
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you youíre wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally donít know why Iím anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Loco Repairs - Direct message me
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2019, 02:42:27 PM »
Tbh not that no one saw this coming surely after the rants and strange press releases....?

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2019, 02:48:08 PM »
Just read the thread on RMweb, they are saying an official announcement will be published by DJ on his website at 7.00pm tonight. Hopefully this will stop all speculation as to what has happened and what will happen in the future.

Bob

If the company is in Administration now the future is no longer in Dave's hands, the Administrator now has control of the company in it's entirety, and while they may elicit help from former directors to realise assets etc, directors no longer control it or have any say.

Actually I am surprised that the Adminstrators are allowing Dave to make a statment on the website and haven't already put up a banner saying that the company is now in Admin and who the Admins are.

Roy

Offline austinbob

• N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2019, 03:23:35 PM »

Of course that statement only applies to orders made with digitrains.
>:(
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2019, 03:33:19 PM »
Actually I am surprised that the Adminstrators are allowing Dave to make a statement on the website and haven't already put up a banner saying that the company is now in Admin and who the Admins are.

Roy

This, the securing of IP, and the fact the company address was moved well in advanced are not what I would expect and is why, especially with the administrators comments on interested parties, I am left wondering if this is a pre-pack.

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2019, 03:55:03 PM »
This, the securing of IP, and the fact the company address was moved well in advanced are not what I would expect and is why, especially with the administrators comments on interested parties, I am left wondering if this is a pre-pack.

Interesting thought. If that were the case though, would Digitrains be cancelling orders already?
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2019, 03:56:49 PM »

Interesting thought. If that were the case though, would Digitrains be cancelling orders already?

They cannot be told, just as we cannot be told (yet).

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2019, 04:48:38 PM »
Iím feeling more and more grateful as this thread pans out that Iíve got the OO 71 I wanted, got back my money for the OO 74 (although Iíd rather have had one) and have a rake of 8 mermaids.
Iíd have had two moguls and two sharks but everything else was just the wrong era or region.

Iím sorry for all the modellers who now have to try to get back their deposits.

Bob

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2019, 04:55:31 PM »
It is an interesting thought, but even having shed the liabilities I am not sure I understand what assets have value and are worth saving via a pre-pack Admin, certainly not the name or goodwill.

It would also seem unlikely that the former Director would purchase the assets as I doubt many in our pretty tight knit modelling community would be prepared to deal with such a "newco" knowing the history.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2019, 05:20:39 PM »
I
I’m feeling more and more grateful as this thread pans out that I’ve got the OO 71 I wanted, got back my money for the OO 74 (although I’d rather have had one) and have a rake of 8 mermaids.
I’d have had two moguls and two sharks but everything else was just the wrong era or region.

I’m sorry for all the modellers who now have to try to get back their deposits.

Bob

I may in time need to look upon my four Mermaids a collector's items. I'm glad I kept the boxes.

That said this sad event is probably going to see any remaining "Dutch" ones that were sticking in shops become very saleable now, be it for repainting or otherwise. They really are very nice wagons and to be fair do show what Dave could deliver.

Offline idlemoor

• Google+
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2019, 05:44:27 PM »
Actually I am surprised that the Adminstrators are allowing Dave to make a statement on the website and haven't already put up a banner saying that the company is now in Admin and who the Admins are.

Roy

Let's try again :(

There has been no 'securing of IP' -- zero, zilch, nada -- except in Mr Jones' head.

People who refer to 'Intellectual Property' (don't get me started on 'IP') need to understand understand that it's meaningless except as an umbrella term. Copyrights, trade marks, registered designs, unregistered design rights, moral rights, database rights, patents, trade secrets, or, god help us, geographical indications and plant breeders' rights, are all different and need to be discussed with specificity.

At a superficial glance there does not appear to be a trademark registration for 'DJ Models' -- nothing to be secured.

The recent design registrations are a complete nullity. They absolutely do not cover "the CAD". Even ten minutes googling will show what a folly they are [1]. Surely nobody plotting an acquisition would be that daft.

Any copyrights (which would include CAD) exist inherently and ab initio from the creation of the works. Copyrights do not need securing. Under the Berne Conventions they are inherent. We haven't witnessed any 'securing' of copyrights because in Europe there is no procedure for that. On a work by work basis, if DJ Models commissioned any CAD, the business (and therefore the Administrators) may have exclusive licences, or DJ Models may have taken ownership on delivery. The business may have sold it on, or some copyrights may be subject to a trade dispute. Or, if Mr Jones created any CAD, he may have licensed, transferred or sold it on to the business. We simply do not know.  Edit: I originally wrote Mr Jones where I should have said DJ Models :(

Unregistered design rights are inherent, like copyrights. It's possible that unregistered design rights may subsist in any moulds or tools that exist, but whether these are assets of the business appears to be a matter of some speculation and dispute. Another complicating factor would be jurisdiction, nudge nudge wink wink.

I'm not sure whether his moral right as creator not to have his work subjected to derogatory treatment would apply to registered or unregistered designs, but to be on the safe side it might not be a good idea to make 1:148 stop-motion pr0nz with a Mermaid. I haven't looked for patents (that used to be Peco, lol) and I'm guessing that we can neglect plant breeders' rights :)

Your speculation, esteemed Mr Lair [2], about pre-pack may or may not be true, but there exists no evidence in the form of 'securing IP'.

[1] Registered designs cover the novel, non-functional aspects of a product -- the shape and the decoration. But an accurate scale model is, by definition, not novel in any of those aspects. I suspect Mr Jones' registrations  would mostly only achieve protection for a model painted in exactly the puce, cyan, yellow, etc of those CAD renderings, if such a bizarre thing ever came into existence. Just because the UK's Intellectual Property Office takes your money and puts the picture you uploaded on its website, this does not constitute validation or endorsement; they will take registration money from anybody, and similarly they will take £48 from anybody who wants to object to any of Mr Jones' registrations on a Form DF19A.

[2] No sarcasm -- I really do admire your work immensely, and hope to imitate some of it soon (poorly) -- which is why I'm here, obsessively reading your old posts :D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 05:54:42 PM by idlemoor »
It's almost peaceful. No need to believe in either side, or any side. There is no cause. There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision.

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2019, 06:13:53 PM »
It's possible or even probable that we will see more of the models where the tooling is complete.
When LGB went belly up ( before being bought by Marklin) some copies of a few LGB models started to appear. There was much gnashing of teeth when these "fakes" came on sale but it turned out they were legal copies. Likewise aristocraft decided to call it a day some years ago while still owing money to Kadar. Since then one railcar and one power truck have been produced under the Bachmann banner. 
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal