!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The end of DJ Models?  (Read 24399 times)

Offline JonHarbour

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18965
  • 2mm Association Number: 4667
    • Awards
Re: The end of DJ Models?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 12:37:02 PM »
I've just sent them a message outlining my concerns over the King class. I'm awaiting a response.
Still planning a layout...

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 12:39:44 PM »
Unless there is a buyer the king is dead unless the Chinese get permission to keep and own the tooling in lieu of monies owed and offer it direct.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 12:40:11 PM »
I assume that the liquidator's job is to sell the assets of DJM in order to pay the creditors.

I hope that the work done on projects such as the King might be saleable and the likes of Revolution Trains might put in an offer ?

Best regards,

Joe

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 12:43:16 PM »
I assume that the liquidator's job is to sell the assets of DJM in order to pay the creditors.

I hope that the work done on projects such as the King might be saleable and the likes of Revolution Trains might put in an offer ?

Best regards,

Joe

Itís the Chinese not releasing the assets that has caused the situation.  They no doubt are claiming they are owed money.

Online longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 12:47:01 PM »
The disputed tooling surely refers to the Class 17 as no other current project got to that stage AFAIK.

It's very unlikely that DJM's customers would have any rights over the tooling and in any case they have a much better chance of getting money back from the credit card company than from a Chinese manufacturer.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2019, 12:55:39 PM »
What's to stop Revolution Trains (or someone else) buying the IP for the King (now we know why Dave made a big deal out of the IP thing) and continuing the project with the same partner they are using for the 56xxx ?

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2019, 12:58:36 PM »
It depends what stage it's at. If all Dave has is some CADs, then probably nothing, and it would be the job of the administrators to try and realise as much as possible from the sale of the assets.

Whether they'd want to though...

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2019, 01:02:38 PM »
Did the King ever get to the tooling stage? I don't believe so, leaving the CAD as the only asset for the King project. I'd imagine anyone else wanting to produce a King would do just as well to start from scratch as each company will have their own way of doing things - shared drive components etc.

It'll be more interesting to see what happens to the tooling that does exist - Mermaids and the disputed class 17.

Steven B

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2019, 01:03:05 PM »
The liquidator will sell everything that's saleable including such items as Dave's car, computer, telephone, etc., if these are the propertyof DJM.

Hopefully they will give Dave first option to buy this personal stuff.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2019, 01:03:57 PM »
The disputed tooling surely refers to the Class 17 as no other current project got to that stage AFAIK.

It's very unlikely that DJM's customers would have any rights over the tooling and in any case they have a much better chance of getting money back from the credit card company than from a Chinese manufacturer.

The insolvency man was being very cagey but he did not believe they would be able to get their hands on the king tooling  QED its happened again.

IP is irrelevant if the IP owner goes bust and depends if the insolvency practitioner sells it.   You would only need it if you wanted to continue manufacturing from DJ tooling and in practice a fresh start would be cheaper for a manufacturer unless you were the company holding the tooling.

This is all company law stuff.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2019, 01:05:12 PM »
The liquidator will sell everything that's saleable including such items as Dave's car, computer, telephone, etc., if these are the propertyof DJM.

Hopefully they will give Dave first option to buy this personal stuff.

It's their role to make as much money as possible for the creditors, so Dave shouldn't have preferential rights to anything he's bought on the business.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2019, 01:08:59 PM »
The liquidators are pragmatic.

They won't float a tender (which costs money) to sell personal items that are worth a few hundred quid.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2019, 01:13:19 PM »
I don't thing the liquidator would refuse if someone offered to pay a few hundred quid for Dave's drawings, files, notes etc. for the King.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2019, 01:24:30 PM »
But why would a manufacturer do that? It's always said that the CADs are cheap, imagine another brand took them on, then discovered some glaring omission, or that their intended mechanism required significant re-working or anything like that. Given that there are no tools or anything, so significant investment will still be required, if I was a manufacturer I'd think long and hard before taking on someone else's CADs.

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2019, 01:31:42 PM »
I never had any dealings with Mr Jones or his products but it seems to me he was a better model-maker than businessman.

All hail RevolutioN, therefore, for doing it properly!

Cheers,

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal