!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: KX to Hogwarts - track and signals ideas please  (Read 894 times)

Offline crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: KX to Hogwarts - track and signals ideas please
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 06:54:53 PM »
will discuss tomorrow re access to the turntable to the line without a platform, but much better.will comment later as busy !!

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 09:24:35 PM »
The access does seem rather better in this revised plan. I think that you might have got the "up" and "down" labels the wrong way around in the smaller text near the station throat, although it is right for the larger text on the top.

The track to the right of the Peco double slip has a straight section then a rather sharp curve - would you not be better off replacing this with a gentler curve, perhaps?

Also, if you are content to do some more redesigning, you might possibly (if it fits) optimise this plan a little more. If you remove the direct turntable access from the platforms, you can have longer platforms without any significant loss: you will still have the headshunt access, and this sort of direct access is not realistic in any event.

Going further, if you turn the headshunt nearest the turntable into a line that connects to the straight line towards the coal sidings (and therefore with access to the upper headshunt), you can avoid any use of the down main for a headshunt at all, improving capacity and reducing conflicts. You could still use what is now the lower headshunt as a headshunt as the trains would not have to go on to the other line.

I hope that this helps.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 09:52:52 PM »
WOULD AGREE with james, sorry had meeting to go to at the time and cannot type fast my thoughts. i would avoid shunting movements  conflicting with mainline running   !!!!

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 04:17:35 PM »
Had a great meeting with Chris on Friday (crewearpley40) at mine and walked through a revised track plan, checking it was pukka, and got some great ideas for industrial London backdrop and a canal - thank you Chris! I need to do my research on lineside warehouse scenes now...

I have been busy relaying the track as a priority, before my next business trip tomorrow when I'll be away from home a few days. I will republish the SCARM drawing on this thread soon, then I need to ask your advice about signals and where to put them!

In the meantime - I found a really nice old map of the old St. Pancras and King's Cross. I published the picture on a different thread under "Real Railways" here as reference: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=45505.msg571816#msg571816.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 04:30:33 PM »
this sprung to mind darren :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43506331@N05/albums/72157669523015626/

there are other layouts,but guess with your interpretation / layout, space available it maybe a case of lets scratchbuild buildings

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 12:45:26 AM »
Here’s the latest diagram of the base level section.

It has taken in all your comments:

All bays are now accessible – rearranged slip and points. I have a separate siding with headshunt for the locos separate from the main line so they can come off the bays and go to the engine areas, coal, water etc or turntable.

Trains leave KX to the down main shown green and either loop around a bit or go to hidden sidings or fiddle yard. Trains from fiddle yard to layout enter hidden siding 1 then can cross to the down main (blue) and loop round a bit or go straight into KX. Trains from either main line can access the goods/parcel area just north of the station bays. Trains from the higher level (red line) can come down and join straight onto the Up Main (blue) and loop round. Trains to the higher level from the Down Main (green) need to cross to the Up Main (briefly) then take the fork to red branch (the branch is single line bi-directional working).

I will put up some diagrams of the intended scenics and a diagram of the upper level track layout later.

I hope you like the revised track plan – I am much happier with it!

Now I need some advice on the signalling… I have some coloured light signals for the lower section - where should I put the signals please, including shunt signals?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 12:48:30 AM by DarrwestLU6, Reason: typos »

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 03:43:11 AM »
DARREN

we may have to arrange a time we can meet at hogwarts house
to fix the canal, buildings, mark off signals with a marker pen.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 11:53:33 AM »
looking better that plan darren

here is  a link to shunt signals

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134066-how-do-shunt-signals-work/

sort other bits out on 22nd

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 12:33:00 PM »
I hope you like the revised track plan – I am much happier with it!

That looks waaaay better than your original plan. The loco yard is both more functional and less cramped IMO.

The only thing I'd query is the headshunt which appears to serve no purpose. A headshunt is usually included so that a loco departs from the running lines into the headshunt and from there can be sent to wherever in the yard it needs to go. On your plan, they cannot access the headshunt from the running lines at all, except by entering the rest of the yard first.

Maybe you could repurpose that line as a siding for some purpose - storing coal wagons before or after going to the coaling stage, maybe?

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 12:43:55 PM »
maybe trying to allow for a loco to be positioned in a siding  rather than it be called a headshunt  so when the line is clear for that loco to be set back into the platforms. that your plan ?

would term it as a siding

otherwise looking much better

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 11:22:31 AM »
Thanks for all the comments!  :NGaugersRule:

Yes, agree with Chris' view, let's call it a siding rather than a headshunt. I will put a few section breaks in there too, each about 15cm-20cm long, so I can park 2-3 locos in said siding and isolate them!

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 11:52:58 AM »
Hope the links came through ok. Sorry am real tired and will comment on later. Plan is looking much better

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations