!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: KX to Hogwarts - track and signals ideas please  (Read 1076 times)

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
KX to Hogwarts - track and signals ideas please
« on: May 24, 2019, 12:28:47 PM »
Hi folks - I'm redesigning my layout having laid track as a first attempt, using the old method of paper templates, and pinned into place and built the basic scenic foundations and a helix up to a higher level.

I've got a parallel thread running on the construction BUT having played with it for a bit - I now want to make a few redesigns and thought I'd run this past you for comments and post in the LAYOUT PLANNING section. (Story so far on the build is at this thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504 - it's on the wall!)

My main challenge at the moment is to redesign the main station throat so I can have a platform for six coaches plus loco - which I think I have achieved. I'm now using SCARM and carefully plotting the position of the existing track that won't move. Could you give me your comments on the diagram below for now - anyone see any problem with this so far?

In the picture crossing and turntable in white is fixed in position due to some other scenery. The red coloured track are new slips and crossings, and green is flexi-track. I am very much liking the fact that SCARM figures out if the flexi-track can be made to fit or not! I can now see how to achieve nice long platforms for 6 coach trains on the outside and 5 coach trains on the inside. I haven't drawn in the parcel goods bay and points yet.

I know that the lower platform bay is only accessible directly to the outer line but can live with that. Trains from the other three can come/go to either main line, so that works for me. Also the engines coming into the platforms from the turntable can shuttle back and forth through the crossings and slips to get to the bay they want, I am OK with that, gives a bit of shunting fun...but am I missing anything obvious?

Any tips or suggestions welcome - I have a busy weekend so will get back on the track laying Bank Holiday Monday.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
Re: KX to Hogwarts - track and signals ideas please
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 12:45:02 PM »
Looking good. I just use pen and paper . The turntable looks tno close to the running line

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 12:05:59 AM »
From this diagram, it seems as though the turntable can only access the central two platforms: the upper platform has no access route, and the lower platform would have an access route if only that short crossing were a double slip.

I am not actually sure what the track object at the point of the central platforms is: it looks like a very, very small radius double slip, but, so far as I am aware, no such thing exists in either real or model form - or am I missing something...?

Did you perhaps want your engine shed to have a water tower and coaling stage?

Are you sure that there will be enough room for the points for the parcels/goods bay?

Is it essential that all of the station throat be after the junction to the main line loop? You might be able to achieve more (including possibly a nice headshunt to allow the bottom platform to be a departures platform, or else I am not sure how you are going to use it) by putting a scissors crossing, or alternatively a pair of crossovers, beyond the two points for the main line loop.

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 03:02:39 PM »

Hi Chris - yes the track does run close to turntable, due to limitations of other bits of scenery, but I think I can just about get away with it!

Hi @jamespetts - thanks for that. The longer double slip is Peco. The shorter slip at the point of the central platform is a short radius Minitrix 30 degrees one that I picked up on eBay. I tested it with some of my loco stock a few weeks back -see post and video here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=44600.15 - It is short radius but does the job and my locos take it!

You are right about turntable access though, I will have a think about that. My idea was that Id be able to use a spare bay to get locos out and shunt them back and forth across the slips - but this only works if at least one central bay is empty...so will ponder some more.

The main lines to left of junction will be bidirectional so I can run trains in/out of the bottom bay.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 04:06:46 PM »
Bidirectional running useful. Turntable access points to think about

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 04:25:59 PM »
Do you have the space to shuffle the loco shed down a little so you could either use the uppermost track off the turntable as a headshunt with a point off that to meet the main lines between the two red points above the yard (albeit with a little juggling of the points needed), or tap the headshunt off that track leaving that track to still enter the shed?
That, if I'm reading your plan correctly would allow access to/from the loco yard from/to any of the platform roads.

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 05:43:18 PM »
I believe this plan below is based on the 1943 track layout at KX. Interesting to compare what they did in reality with your plan. You could have your locos on display rather than in a roundhouse and make it more prototypical...

Bob

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 06:57:22 PM »
would tend to agree with chris m and james' s points - no pun intended and add headshunt and access to turntable,hence why i prefer pen paper sketches

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 11:35:24 PM »
@chrism, @crewearpley40, @Bob G  - thank you, all great comments. I think if I were to remove the round house, then this would free up some space to:
  • put in the headshunt and extra point onto that can link to the connection to the main line and lower platform bay - as ChrisM suggests; and
  • as Bob G suggests - show off the locos some more, and potentially put in a coaling, water station and ash pit, based on the 1943 track layout (where did you find that - I'd be interested in seeing more, I have a 1971 version!)
I'm just back from a busy weekend away so won't have time at this late hour to knock up the SCARM diagram, but I'll get to it in the morning and post up some new ideas. The beauty of doing it in SCARM is that I can quickly see if it will all fit in the available space.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 05:47:39 AM »
i was thinking alomg those lines and will reply tonight if NOT tired,after another day's work - i would aim for a headshunt and connect the lower bay to allow access to/from the loco yard from/to any of the platform roads., just could not think straight last night !!

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 09:19:47 AM »
I just googled Kings Cross Shed and there it was in images.
Its a very cramped space so its just like what we model!

Bob

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 09:47:03 AM »
Remember top link express engines would require a headshunt for preparing to back into the cross and similarly locos released would arrive in the headshunt to prepare for turning

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 12:55:32 PM »
These last few days I'm off for half term holidays so I have been busy re-laying track, here's a photo of one corner of the layout - a combination of spare bits of track, repositioned points, and some useful Peco templates!

I do enjoy the challenge of making everything fit just right, with nice looking curves. I don't know about you but even if I do design it in SCARM  to help me, nothing beats getting the track out and playing with it...I find I can visualise better that way! For me, there's something very satisfying about solving track problems and making it all look nice....I use a real coach to check the clearances on the curves whilst I am at it, to avoid problems later.

I promise to put up another SCARM drawing later so you can see the ideas of the new approach, junction, station throat, and the new loco yard and head-shunt, thanks to your very helpful suggestions. Watch this space!

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 05:03:16 PM »
You know you can always print the Scarm plan full size and put that on your baseboards to help with track alignment and positioning.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 06:44:51 PM »
True - but I still like the hands approach! Here's latest diagram showing redesigned station approach. Not finished the right hand side drawing yet, to follow...

How does this compare now - I think I can get my engines turned and back on the coaches the other way and access all bays!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here