!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Reid-MacLeod Steam Turbine Locomotive  (Read 2588 times)

Offline AR

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Reid-MacLeod Steam Turbine Locomotive
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2019, 08:10:20 PM »
Hello all,

@PLD Thanks for your advice, I was looking for 4 sets of 8-spoked wheels. I realise now my wording was a little ambiguous! I have now ordered some from N Brass (along with some other of their superb detailing parts!)

I have also managed to mount the loco body on the chassis and I think it is really starting to look like the prototype (even if it is a little grey!). I also need to get used to the fact that the boiler end is actually the rear!

Cheers,

Alex
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 08:47:42 PM by AR, Reason: Spelling »

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2019, 05:42:42 PM »
Hello all,

Whilst I am waiting for my brass detailing parts to arrive in the post, I have spent a few days doing other aspects of the project including increasing the size of the bufferbeam, adding rivets, adding weights, making sure the chassis screws to the loco body securely and, finally, trying to figure out livery details!

The bufferbeams seemed too high when lined up with a standard coach and therefore the buffers wouldn't have matched. Thus, I have extended the bufferbeams downwards by a few mm with plastic from the recyling bin. This was cut and glued in place and then filler and plenty of sanding was used to blend it into the existing buffer beam. I then added some rivets to the bufferbeam (not prototypical, I admit, but it distracts the eye from the slight blemishes of the join!) and the roof of the cab.

Then I set about drilling out the existing pilot holes for the screws to attach the loco body to the chassis. This seems to work fine and a couple of brass flathead screws do the job. If this wears down over time, I can always switch it for a nut and bolt at each end.

I have added small lead weights to either end of the loco, placed over the bogies for maximum traction. The lead beads were from curtain weight-rope and cost 17p in total!

Finally, I have been playing around with livery ideas and I think I have settled on a GNR inspired guise (the test square third from the left). The lining is easy to get hold of and I think a bright colour will suit the loco nicely, as well as being similar to the protoype colour of apple green.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers,

Alex

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2019, 05:47:27 PM »
I've only one thought, I'm afraid - this is looking pretty darned good  :thumbsup:

Offline Simon D.

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2019, 06:58:36 PM »
Can I ask what you used to make the rivets?

Thanks

Simon

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2019, 07:03:30 PM »
Can I ask what you used to make the rivets?

Thanks

Simon

Hello,

They are from Railtec (2mm-9101). I was in need of 2mm scale rivets for a previous project and Railtec kindly produced them for me and they are now available on their website.

Cheers,

Alex

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2019, 09:01:56 AM »
I think itís about time you , Snowwolflair and Ozymandias went into business together and start producing these wonderfull 3D printed models and resprays  as R T R for us less skilled modellers . I for one would buy a Leader from you  ,a City of Truro from Ozy and a Great Bear from Snowwolflair ,but I would have to sell  a few of my collection before I could afford them ,so you three have plenty of time to work out how you could form a company together .
Of course they would have to be for Forum  members , and to order only .
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:59:37 AM by Bob Tidbury »

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2019, 09:14:48 AM »
Sir you are a master craftsman.

What a magnificent model this is going to be!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2019, 10:51:21 AM »
I think itís about time you , Snowwolflair and Ozymandias went into business together and start producing these wonderfull 3D printed models and resprays  as R T R for us less skilled modellers . I for one would buy a Leader from you  ,a City of Truro from Ozy and a Great Bear from Snowwolflair ,but I would have to sell  a few of my collection before I could afford them ,so you three have plenty of time to work out how you could form a company together .
Of course they would have to be for Forum  members , and to order only .
Bob Tidbury

An excellent idea, Bob. I would like a B4 0-4-0T dock tank and a 16xx 0-6-0 pannier tank, plus the BR converted Maunsell two-coach pull-push sets. Scale plans are available and I would be happy to provide. Then there are the missing Maunsell / BR catering coaches and a BR 3TC / 4TC trailer set . . .
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:03:27 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Simon D.

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2019, 12:20:57 PM »
They are from Railtec (2mm-9101). I was in need of 2mm scale rivets for a previous project and Railtec kindly produced them for me and they are now available on their website.

Oooh, they look good and a real alternative to Archer rivets; plus much much cheaper

Many thanks indeed.

Simon

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2019, 09:22:21 PM »
Hello all,

Thank you for all your kind comments! Here are some pictures of the loco with its full compliment of wheels and the start of the brass detailing:

I am having trouble with the front and rear bogies as they are very small and like to derail. This is probably down to my test track (which is rough as its only soldered together without fishplates currently  :goggleeyes:) as it seems to only be on the dodgy join. However, does anyone have an ideas of how to stabalise the bogies to make them better at traversing points/track irregularities?

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Alex

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2019, 06:02:02 AM »
Have you got room to add a bit of weight to the bogies?

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2019, 09:06:34 AM »
As chrism suggested, weight's always a good idea.
Another possibly is to add a spring to them. If you can put a lightweight spring on the bogie shaft so that it has a small range of vertical movement with the spring providing a small amount of resistance, then that should help them stay in contact with the track while not jumping.
That's assuming the bogies have a central pivot shaft and aren't floating on a lever (if they are, a spring is still feasible, just more tricky unless the lever arm itself is sprung).

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2019, 08:00:32 PM »
The boiler end of the body makes me think of the Midland Railway "flat iron" tank loco.

Any chance you might have a go at that as a future project ?

Yours hopefully,

Joe

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2019, 05:36:46 PM »
Hello all,

Thank you for all your advice and, as usual, this wonderful forum has solved a problem for me! :thankyousign:

Have you got room to add a bit of weight to the bogies?

Thanks for your advice, I tried to add a bit of weight to them with tiny lead beads but I couldn't add enough to make a substantial difference: I forgot how small N gauge bogies are!!

As chrism suggested, weight's always a good idea.
Another possibly is to add a spring to them. If you can put a lightweight spring on the bogie shaft so that it has a small range of vertical movement with the spring providing a small amount of resistance, then that should help them stay in contact with the track while not jumping.
That's assuming the bogies have a central pivot shaft and aren't floating on a lever (if they are, a spring is still feasible, just more tricky unless the lever arm itself is sprung).
Thank you, this spring method proved to be the perfect solution (see later in this post for details) and I am pleased to report the bogies are now staying firmly on the track!
The boiler end of the body makes me think of the Midland Railway "flat iron" tank loco.
Any chance you might have a go at that as a future project ?
Yours hopefully,
Joe
I had to look this one up, but I agree it does certainly share a similar shape! I haven't any plans for the immediate future but I will certainly remember it and may well consider it in the long term:)

So, the sprung bogies. I have used a small piece of brass rod as the pivot, a couple of pieces of plastic carton and an old coupling spring. I cut a hole in each of the pieces of plastic. Then glued the rod into the smallest piece of plastic and attached the second plastic piece to the main bogie frame. Then threaded the rod through the small bogie, put on the spring and threaded the top piece of the rod through the hole in the plastic piece attached to the main bogie and secured with superglue. This results in a good pressure on the bogies which means they stay on the track!

Finally, I attached the coupling and am pleased to say the locomotive pulled its first coach with a proper coupling and all wheels up and down the test track! A pleasing stage to get through after months of design and building work!

Cheers,

Alex

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2019, 01:10:16 PM »
Hello all,

The model is now complete, apart from a few handrails on the cab sides, and is ready for painting. I think the handrails really add some depth to the model!

I am also still undecided on the livery for the loco and therefore have drawn up some colour designs. What do you all think would look best? Whilst some of the liveries are based on prototypical colour schemes, some are less accurate. However, as long as it looks good and realistic, I am not too concerned about complete accuracy considering how rare the prototype is!

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers,

Alex

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal