!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Reid-MacLeod Steam Turbine Locomotive  (Read 1998 times)

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Reid-MacLeod Steam Turbine Locomotive
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 11:20:35 PM »
Hello all,

I have heard back from the very nice people at the NRM and they have some documents/pictures on the subject. However, they are only available to view in person and, living in Cornwall, York is a bit too far away

I understand the NRM allow one to take photos of documents for research purposes - obviously with no rights to publish of course. Even handwritten notes of documents could be a great help to research. Do we have any member in York who would be kind enough to visit the NRM on behalf of Alex?

:helpneededsign:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 11:54:33 AM »
 :helpneededsign: :bump:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2019, 05:24:35 PM »
Hello all!

I am pleased to say that, after a slow start, this project is now in full swing. The chassis has been ordered and is due to arrive in the next couple of weeks. In the meanwhile, I have been learning my way around my new CAD program (FreeCAD) and have started the final CAD design. The images below aren't the best quality as I am not yet certain as to how I can export them from my CAD program in a higher resolution!

I have started the basic baseplate but this will need editing once I have the chassis so that I can work out where the mechanism will go and how the bogies will attach (I am hoping to replicate the design of the Tomytec chassis, but just longer!). I have also started work on the cab.

@RailGooner thanks for your help regarding the NRM!

Cheers,

Alex

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2019, 05:36:34 PM »
Hello all!

I am pleased to say that, after a slow start, this project is now in full swing. The chassis has been ordered and is due to arrive in the next couple of weeks. In the meanwhile, I have been learning my way around my new CAD program (FreeCAD) and have started the final CAD design. The images below aren't the best quality as I am not yet certain as to how I can export them from my CAD program in a higher resolution!

I have started the basic baseplate but this will need editing once I have the chassis so that I can work out where the mechanism will go and how the bogies will attach (I am hoping to replicate the design of the Tomytec chassis, but just longer!). I have also started work on the cab.

@RailGooner thanks for your help regarding the NRM!

Cheers,

Alex

The FreeCAD looks good.  What is the range of tools like?

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2019, 05:41:03 PM »
@Snowwolflair
Thanks, the FreeCAD is good, it has a great range of tools of which I have only scrapped the surface. It is also fairly intuitive and has been easy enough to pick up the basics. Its also supported by a great forum and online wiki-style guide which has been invaluable. I would definitely recommend it, especially considering its totally free!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 05:46:27 PM by AR, Reason: Spelling »

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2019, 08:30:46 PM »
Hello all,

Just a quick update on the CAD thus far. I will add more of the fine details in once the basic shape is there but it is progressing nicely. I also need to thicken the cab walls, roof and side tank walls (a relatively simple alteration) to ensure they meet printing tolerances.

A couple of pictures in grey to show the overall form:

And one colour one to show all the component parts:

I look forward to hearing what you think!

Cheers,

Alex

Online RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2019, 08:42:48 PM »
I think, it's coming along very nicely Alex. :beers:

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2019, 10:10:31 PM »
Hello all,

I have been working on the CAD and the body is nearing completion, only the details below the running plate to left to do. I have been informed that the chassis is waiting at my loco Royal Mail sorting office so I will collect that as soon as possible! This will enable me to start adjusting the baseplate to receive the altered chassis parts and allow me to design the bogie frames.

I have also found some information regarding the livery: LNER apple green with lining (of perhaps a dark muddy green or black and white). I haven't made a final decision about this yet but I think it could look splendid in this livery. Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Alex

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 09:55:15 AM »
Hello all,

I have just received the first test prints of the loco from @Snowwolflair and I am pleased with how they have come out. There are a few refinements I need to make in the CAD (thicker walls in places etc) but overall it is a good test piece. I have given it a quick sand and sprayed some primer on it to bring out the details. The chassis has also arrived and I will start work on extending this over the next couple of weeks or so; any advice on extending a motor shaft would be greatly appreciated!

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers,

Alex

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2019, 08:13:26 PM »
Hello all,

The chassis has now arrived and was promptly taken apart. This has allowed me to start replicating the bogie mounts in CAD so I can build them into the chassis design. I have had one set of test prints thus far, and although they worked in principle, there will need to be a few more iterations before I reach a desired fit. This picture shows slightly different versions of the mounts ready for the next round of test prints (kindly printed by @Snowwolflair).

I have also started on the chassis itself and here it can be seen with the motor cover (which secures the motor) and holes that will allow the body and chassis to be screwed together.

And finally, I have begun work on the bogie sides. These will affix to the bogies using pins and will eventually support the front bogie trucks (much like the real thing).

I will be working on finishing the mounts and bogie frames and then work will begin on extending the motor shaft and getting the chassis up and running!

I look forward to hearing what you think and of any advice you may be able to offer:)

Cheers,

Alex

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2019, 12:19:41 AM »
I can't offer any advice, I'm afraid, Alex, but what I can offer is my utmost admiration for a fascinating project which appears to be progressing brilliantly!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2019, 01:03:35 AM »
Wow! I missed the last couple of posts, till now. Exciting progress Alex - the test prints look stunning. :thumbsup: Re: extending the drive shafts - brass tube? :beers:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 01:13:19 AM by RailGooner »

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2019, 12:13:27 PM »
Wow! I missed the last couple of posts, till now. Exciting progress Alex - the test prints look stunning. :thumbsup: Re: extending the drive shafts - brass tube? :beers:

Do an NGF search for sleeve glue!
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2019, 06:11:27 PM »

Nick, I've searched as you suggested but I'm afraid I don't know why so don't know what I'm to do with the results. :confused2:

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2019, 06:34:46 PM »

Nick, I've searched as you suggested but I'm afraid I don't know why so don't know what I'm to do with the results. :confused2:

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I have found the sleeve glue (a kind of adhesive for securing bearings etc) and may well use it if soldering doesn't work, so thanks @Railwaygun for the advice!

Cheers,

Alex

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations