!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Reid-MacLeod Steam Turbine Locomotive  (Read 1994 times)

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Reid-MacLeod Steam Turbine Locomotive
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2019, 08:43:50 PM »
Ah ha!
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2019, 09:01:23 PM »
Wow! I missed the last couple of posts, till now. Exciting progress Alex - the test prints look stunning. :thumbsup: Re: extending the drive shafts - brass tube? :beers:

Do an NGF search for sleeve glue!

sorry -late night cryptic comment!sleeve glue has a little flexibility i believe, so more accomodating than solder
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2019, 09:03:48 PM »
Hello all,

I have been working on the front and rear bogies this evening and have got the basic shape and first details in place. I am thinking of using a thin strip of bent brass or nickel to attach it to the chassis and allow the bogie to pivot; does this seem like a sound solution?

@Railwaygun Thanks for the advice, I will definitely look into it!

Cheers,

Alex

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2019, 09:29:25 PM »
Hello all,

Just a quick glimpse of what the chassis is looking like:

I am also waiting for test prints for the main bogies, front and rear bogies, bogie mounts and motor mounts and am really looking forward to see how they come out!

Cheers,

Alex

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2019, 09:59:39 PM »
Hello all,

I have received the test prints from @Snowwolflair and I am really pleased with the results.

The motor bogie mounts work really well with the refinements I made and I can now transfer the CAD test pieces to the main chassis CAD. The bogie sides also turned out well with the detail being very crisp. There are some alterations I need to make to these parts, nothing major, but a few tweaks that will really refine the way the overall model goes together.

Finally, the motor mount works perfectly and only needs a slight height adjustment and then, like the bogie mounts, can be added to the main CAD design.

Overall, these tests have gone really well and the design is coming close to completion. As this is moving from a design to a construction project, I may ask a moderator to kindly move this thread to the workbench section (if this is something that can easily be done!).

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers,

Alex

Online Railwaygun

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2019, 10:57:42 PM »
this is practical 3d modelling and very good it is too.

the concept of local 3D foundries (Snowwolflair) producing parts ( as opposed to Shapeways) seems the way forward - especially as converting 3d design to plastic is an iterative process. the spread of the new high quality printers seems to be the basis of a new cottage industry?

perhaps we need a 3d modelling workbench thread/subgroup???

Caveat lector

10mm / N armour Threads

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2019, 11:10:32 PM »
I'm perfectly happy with it being left here, Alex, as I'm following along avidly, and at least I always know where it is!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2019, 11:29:11 PM »
this is practical 3d modelling and very good it is too.

the concept of local 3D foundries (Snowwolflair) producing parts ( as opposed to Shapeways) seems the way forward - especially as converting 3d design to plastic is an iterative process. the spread of the new high quality printers seems to be the basis of a new cottage industry?

perhaps we need a 3d modelling workbench thread/subgroup???

Alex has good CAD and design skills which means the items I print for him print first time.  I know his work as he helped with some of my early design work for the 2BILs and Tadpoles that are the topic of another thread.

The idea of a group of forum members acting as a foundry is an interesting possibility, however, it would need some thought about how it could be organised and the cost.

Online Shiney Sheff

• N Gauge Society Number: 23792
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2019, 02:20:56 PM »
I would be in for one of the loco's if it was ever put into production, it's a thing of quirkiness and beauty, which I like very much.

Bob

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2019, 08:52:54 PM »
Hello all,

The idea of a forum for individual users to access other people's 3D printers is certainly a good idea but cost etc would definitely need considering, as @Snowwolflair says. It is, however, worth looking into, especially taking into account the proved usefulness of 3D printing in model railways.

@Shiney Sheff, thanks for your kind comments, I too enjoy modelling the more unusual (and sometimes totally obscure!) prototypes, and indeed the modelling challenges they present. I am very unlikely to make this model available as it would need a lot more work to make it a viable kit, so for now it's likely to be a sole representative.

Cheers,

Alex

Online Railwaygun

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2019, 01:00:14 PM »
Hello all,

The idea of a forum for individual users to access other people's 3D printers is certainly a good idea but cost etc would definitely need considering, as @Snowwolflair says. It is, however, worth looking into, especially taking into account the proved usefulness of 3D printing in model railways.

@Shiney Sheff, thanks for your kind comments, I too enjoy modelling the more unusual (and sometimes totally obscure!) prototypes, and indeed the modelling challenges they present. I am very unlikely to make this model available as it would need a lot more work to make it a viable kit, so for now it's likely to be a sole representative.

Cheers,

Alex

perhaps we just need members to post their willingness to print for NGF members , or develop CAD models from drawings / models,  and their machine / resolution.

then members can make their own arrangements.

Approx. costs can be shown, and a small market could develop? it might help amortise costs of more exotic printers..

Caveat lector

10mm / N armour Threads

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2019, 07:05:32 PM »
Hello all,

I have finally completed the CAD for the Reid-MacLeod loco and have sent all the parts to be printed. I had to redraw the front/rear bogies but I think they look better now, and are certainly sturdier! These are the final CAD drawings of each of the main sections:

I have also made a long list of small brass details I need to buy, as well as other small parts needed to complete the model. It is still a very long way off but its very exciting and reassuring to be rounding off the first stage and moving onto the next which, I am sure, will present its own challenges (including plucking up the courage to cut and extend the motor shafts, something I am not looking forward to!!)

Cheers,

Alex

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2019, 08:51:41 PM »
Hello all,

Well, today has been very productive indeed! I now have a running chassis (my first, so its a little noisy but it moves so I am happy!), the main bogies and loco undercoated and the front and rear bogies off the 3D printing supports.

Firstly, I received the prints from @Snowwolflair, this time in a black resin that is easier to sand and more durable than the grey resin previously used. Here the chassis can be seen off the supports whilst the rest of the parts remain attached.

The main bogies, once removed from the supports:

Secondly, the chassis. This has been a daunting part of the project and whilst it didn't go without a hitch, I am pleased to say that it does work, even if it does look a little ramshackle! I started by cutting the brass worm off, leaving a small bit of brass tube into which I soldered 1mm brass rod. The worm was then soldered to the brass rod, trying to get it as straight as possible; I think it could be better and maybe I will tackle it in the future but for now I'll keep it as it is! This was done at both ends before it was wired up and tested. I need to find some smaller wire as the current wire slightly inhibits the cornering of the bogies, but again, something for the future!

Now it was onto the painting. I sanded the loco body carefully with fine grade sandpaper and then undercoated the loco and main bogies with grey primer. The bogies look great but the body needs another going over with sandpaper, just to get the last few blemishes off the surface.

Finally, the state of play by this evening. You can just catch a glimpse of one of the test pieces mocked up in green. I have to say, I am still not convinced by the green livery, despite it being prototypical. I still quite like the idea of the brown/green colours of the GT3 loco. Any suggestions/thoughts on this would be much appreciated :)

Also, in terms of grease for gears, what would people advise? I have managed to rub most of it off during construction and want to re-grease it for smoother running!

I look forward to reading what you think of the model so far and any advice/opinions you may have :)

Cheers,

Alex

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2019, 11:02:31 AM »
Hello all,

I forgot to add to last night's post, I am in need of 4 spoked metal wagon wheelsets (8 wheels, 4 axles) for the front and rear bogies. If anyone can help, I am happy to pay and cover any postage.

Cheers,

Alex

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2019, 11:08:05 PM »
Hello all,

I forgot to add to last night's post, I am in need of 4 spoked metal wagon wheelsets (8 wheels, 4 axles) for the front and rear bogies. If anyone can help, I am happy to pay and cover any postage.

Cheers,

Alex
By "4 spoked wheelsets" do you mean "4 sets of spoked wheels" or wheelsets with "4 spokes per wheel"?
If the latter, I can't think of anything suitable in N, if the former then Peco / Parkside offer 6.2mm diameter wheels with 8 spokes.
https://peco-uk.com/products/jackson-romford-62mm-8-spoke-wheels

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations