!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Designing 3D Objects  (Read 157 times)

Offline MattyCatts

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Designing 3D Objects
« on: June 03, 2020, 03:24:43 PM »
Hi all,

I'm curious with the design stage of 3D modelling.

If I wanted to model a particular loco, would it be drawn from scratch or scanned using one of these 3D scanners?

Sorry for the newbie question!

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Designing 3D Objects
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 03:28:06 PM »
Whole spectrum of answers there.

If you want to model something then it's up to you. If you have access to laser scanners and the prototype in question you can do that. You can start from scale drawings, or photos, or a model, or any combination of the above. You can use photogrammetry software which can create a 3D mesh of an object from photographs. You can use CAD software. You can use pencil and paper. If you want to 3D print something then ultimately you need a 3D mesh, so there's almost certainly some CAD software in there, but what the inputs are is your choice.

If you commission a manufacturer to make a model for you they'll choose an appropriate method. Laser scanning isn't a panacea, a lot of excellent models can are still are made using more conventional methods like tape measures and scale drawings.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 03:29:18 PM by njee20 »

Offline AR

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Designing 3D Objects
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 05:22:50 PM »
Hi,

I solely use drawings/pictures to work up my CAD designs as I have no access to a scanner, and I also enjoy the research and CAD process. There are plenty of free software packages out there, such as FreeCAD which has great online support if you want to try your hand at it.

You can see a couple of my models in this section of the forum, links in signature.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Alex R
Previous Project:

Reid-Macleod Steam Turbine Prototype
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=45211.60

My Current Project:

GT 3 Gas Turbine Prototype
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=49856.0

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £30.00