!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: N Scale cable car system - a possibility?  (Read 532 times)

Offline carlmt

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
N Scale cable car system - a possibility?
« on: May 06, 2019, 10:58:06 PM »
As well as my attempts to fabricate a budget overhead catenary system, I quite fancy a cable car on my new layout.

Had a look about and there only appears to be one system available - and, yet again, it costs a penny or two....if you can get it!

So.......why not have a go at producing my own?  I quite like the Rudesheimer system that floats above the vineyards so I thought I would start with that.  If it works, I can easily develop it into a larger car system similar to that which runs up to the top of the Untersberg near Salzburg in Austria.

This is the Rudesheim cable car :

And here are the gondolas I created today :

Need to work out how to enable the head to swivel where it connects to the cable - not easy at 1:160!  And will make a start soon on some intermediate support towers.  More development needed.........

Something different!!!!!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: N Scale cable car system - a possibility?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 11:24:58 PM »
Gondolas look nice!

I do have one of the old Brawa cable car sets, I've had it since the mid 80s and still not used it yet! I did service it and re-grease the mechanism last year, as I've now also got the Brawa funicular set and have a grand plan to build a mountainous module to include both!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 11:38:22 PM »
Swivelling head   :hmmm:
Take a small drill (0.5mm) and drill a hole where the swivel axis should be and insert a corresponding rod (should be metal!!!). Then take a scalpell and carefully cut the two parts of the head apart. Next step: swivelling carefully make sure the hole gets enlarged just enough that the swivelling works ok. Now the axle must be secured to make sure it does not fall out. Small drop of glue at the end, or a bend...

Hope you can grab my thoughts...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:22:06 AM by AlexanderJesse »
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 06:55:56 AM »
Look good Carl.  :thumbsup:  I much prefer those small open gondolas to the modern larger, fully enclosed ones that have widely replaced them in the Alps.

And the Brawa models are rather old fashioned and simplistic. A shame that Jägerndorfer only do there excellent models in HO and 1:32.

Looking forward to seeing how your system develops.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 09:34:46 AM »
The gondolas look great. I think your biggest problem will be stopping them from bouncing around when in motion especially after they pass over the support pylons.
I too have the Brawa system on my layout and the cars are old fashioned and simplistic as Mike says. I have modified the buildings and support pylon to suit my requirements but the cars really need improving and a method found to stop the occasional "bouncing".
Good luck with your project.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:06:46 AM by swisstrains »
John

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 09:48:13 AM »
I saw the 3D printed (I presume) gondolas earlier today Oz time, and impressive (very) as they are, thought they might need some weight.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 10:10:39 AM »
I saw the 3D printed (I presume) gondolas earlier today Oz time, and impressive (very) as they are, thought they might need some weight.

I have tried a few experiments with the Brawa cablecars and increasing the weight sometimes appears to increase the pendulum effect and they become even more unstable.
John

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 10:16:12 AM »
Interesting!

In that case, Carl's excellent gondolas might be just left light, and perhaps not worry about swivelling?

That is, glued to the line? If the gradient was constant, they could be fixed at the correct vertical all the way up.

Though I foresee problems across pylons.

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »
In that case, Carl's excellent gondolas might be just left light, and perhaps not worry about swivelling?

That is, glued to the line? If the gradient was constant, they could be fixed at the correct vertical all the way up.

And then, on the way down …? ;)
Peter

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 11:58:23 AM »
Never thought of that!

But hang on, they'd still be hanging vertically, won't they, on the way down?

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 12:45:08 PM »
I’d think that if the gondolas are fixed so that they are vertical when going up an 45° angle, then they would in theory be horizontal going down on the other side?
Peter

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 01:04:33 PM »
Depends whether the cable is arranged as continuous loop or stops and reverses at each end.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 01:09:16 PM »
We are talking about the small Rüdesheim gondolas above, the gondolas are in a continuous loop.
Peter

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 01:20:45 PM »

And here are the gondolas I created today :

Need to work out how to enable the head to swivel where it connects to the cable - not easy at 1:160!  And will make a start soon on some intermediate support towers.  More development needed.........

Something different!!!!!

Those look really cute - one could even put the gondolas on goods wagons, being delivered! :hmmm:

Offline carlmt

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 09:24:15 PM »
Thank you all for the encouragement - and the suggestions!

Yes, they are 3D printed and very light.  But as has been mentioned, making them a little heavier might introduce some unwanted effects - I need to experiment.  Perhaps adding a few passengers may help?

As for just going up and down or 'round and round', these, like the Rudesheim original, will need to go round and round because there are multiple gondolas on the line.  If and when I model the larger, multi-person, car system that has one going up and one going down then, yes, they can be fixed to the line (so long as the gradient is relatively constant).

So!! I think the hole and pin idea may be the way forward.  I will need to beef up the hanging arm a bit (it is only 1mm square in cross-section at the moment) as well as enlarge the head that is clamped to the cable.  I think it is do-able....... Lets see!!!!

If this works, I will develop a larger, two car, system and possibly a chair lift system as well  :beers:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal