!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Completing the loop..  (Read 400 times)

Offline springwood

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Completing the loop..
« on: May 01, 2019, 02:28:09 PM »
Forgive me if this is easy, but wanted to just check and gain a few suggestions/ideas.
Been working on laying my first loop (the up main) which so far has comprised two points and a handful of track sections. Got one more full length of flexi to do (on the curve) which links to the final point at front of layout.  Am scratching my head a bit as to best method to successfully join final new piece to end of track at 'start point'.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Completing the loop..
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 03:37:33 PM »
I would suggest curving the flexitrack to line up with the point and then screwing it into place between the sleepers before cutting the ends to match the point (I'm saying this in the hope I am imagining your problem correctly)

Online jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 03:57:59 PM »
First lay the curved track, without joiners at the business end, and carefully cut the track to size. With the track pinned down draw a line along the sleepers so that you end up with the outline of the curve the track should take.

Next add joiners to the track and push it away from the point, this will distort the curved track so that you have enough room for the joiners to be lined up. Join the track together and then realign the flex track to the curve that you previously drew out.

One other method if you have the tools is to push the joiners completely onto the flex track, line it up with the point and then use suitable pliers to slide the joiners into place.

DON'T FORGET, there are arrows on the bottom of the flex track showing which way it can be curved, it is not designed to be curved in two directions, i.e. you shouldn't try to make an 'S' bend out of one piece of flex track.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 06:18:19 PM »
DON'T FORGET, there are arrows on the bottom of the flex track showing which way it can be curved, it is not designed to be curved in two directions, i.e. you shouldn't try to make an 'S' bend out of one piece of flex track.

Have to admit in all the 40+ years I've been modelling in N gauge using Peco track I've never actually taken any notice of those arrows, and never had any problems curving flexi track to either hand.  Plenty of S bends on my layouts!   To be honest though, it's probably only really a problem once you start trying to bend the flexi track down to quite tight radius, in which case I'd suggest it's easier to use Setrack components for those curves - it saves a lot of hassle!  Use flexi track to create a gentle transition into and out of the actual fixed curve.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 06:20:19 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "KŲnigshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 04:02:49 AM »
I too have never had an issue with S-curves using a single piece of flexi-track but am fortunate enough to have sufficient space for fairly gentle curves. A really handy tip though which will no doubt come in handy at some point in the future.

For closing loops, I always try to leave the straight sections for last. Itís much easier to cut the straight bits to length then use the flex to bend it until the joins can be made. Personally, Iíd prefer lifting a curved section then relaying it than trying to make the curve connect correctly.

I hope, whichever way you do it, all goes well!

ntpntpntp: thatís a lovely little scene In the background of the photo you added!

-Andy
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 04:05:56 AM by andy-sf »

Offline PhilD

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 05:49:26 AM »
Are you actually laying track, or are you planning the layout using some software? Your use of the term "Start Point" seems to suggest the latter!

Cheers

Phil

Offline springwood

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 07:07:09 AM »
No, I'm past the planning stage - thank goodness - as it's only(!) taken 40-odd years to get to this point!! I am actually track laying, albeit it is pretty slow progress and I don't mind that as it's really exciting seeing the plan start to come to life. When a said start point I meant coming back to the open end of the first piece laid in the loop. Good advice to try and complete with a straight section and luckily I can do that with a piece measuring approx 11". Another aspect I am grateful for reading helpful forum threads on is regarding the use of Copydex to glue the track down. It is so good and easy and gives a really strong result once dry. Equally (being a latex/rubber-based glue), it would be possible to undo mistakes (hopefully there won't be too many of those) or make changes by sliding a sharp knife under the track and peel the unwanted glue away.

Offline PhilD

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 08:15:59 AM »
Mmm - I see that now - should have paid more attention - the photo is the giveaway!

Your layout looks very interesting - have you posted any info about it on the forum
Cheers
Phil

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
December Donations

Advertise Here