!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Problem with NCE Powercab with non-selected train  (Read 121 times)

Offline chicky365

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Problem with NCE Powercab with non-selected train
« on: April 15, 2019, 04:06:41 PM »
Hi,

I am experiencing an issue with my Powercab in that when I have a stationary loco ticking over with sound (F1 enabled). If I select another loco with a different ID, when I go back to the original, the F1 function is not on so the sound is then switched off.

I then have to press F1 again to re-enable the sound and this can be annoying when there is a long startup routine.

How can I keep the function settings of the non-selected loco, so that when I return to it, the same functions are still enabled?

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
Re: Problem with NCE Powercab with non-selected train
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 07:25:09 PM »
It's a while since I had a PowerCab, so apologies if this is not relevant.

I seem to recall that there is a setting to retransmit the state that everything should be in, because otherwise some part forgets.

When you say that F1 is not on when you go back, is it that selecting the loco turns it off, or that it has already turned itself off when you go back to it?

Edit: here you go: https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002543183-Loco-or-Sound-shuts-down-unexpectedly-when-changing-Locos
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:27:30 PM by Yet_Another »
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 07:40:31 PM »
Hi there if what Yet_another has suggested does not work try the nce group. It used to be on Yahoo groups but has now moved,they are now at https://groups.io/
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 08:38:09 PM »
Chicky365,

Can I ask if you had been using the momentum button when this problem occurs? I can't find the thread at the moment but in short (as I understand it) the Powercab alters a couple of CVs when you use the momentum button and doesn't restore them in the way the sound decoder expects.
Apparently the ESU Loksound is particularly vulnerable.
My class 150 dmu has fallen completely silent recently and I'm beginning to suspect my otherwise much loved Powercab!

Alec.

Offline chicky365

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 09:13:42 PM »
Hi all and thanks for your replies

F1 controls the sound, so it shows a 1 on the cab screen when activated. when I switch loco and then go back, the 1 is not showing and the sound goes off. The sound only  goes off when I go back to it, it stays on whilst im controlling the second loco. (the second loco also has a 1 showing, so its not as if its taking the second loco settings back to the first loco)

I thought the point with DCC is that it would retain all the settings on the first loco when I switch to another..

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 09:32:19 PM »
@Yet_Another's link seems to describe exactly the problem you are having.

Regards,

John P

Offline chicky365

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 09:57:47 PM »
great thank you, will give it a try

Online Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 11:41:01 PM »
Agree, Yet Another's link has the explanation and the solutions.

The problem with the momentum button is this:  The momentum button sets CV3 and CV4 to new values.  The PowerCab has no knowledge of the original values in those CVs, so cannot set them back to the original values (a decoder reset can set them back, but also resets anything else you've changed, including the decoder address).   
Quite a lot of sound decoders have the sounds carefully matched to certain values in CV3 and CV4 - they are matched so the sounds play correctly when accelerating or decelerating.   Change those values, and the sounds won't line up with the movement.   
But the sounds will still work, they'll just come out a bit "wrong".   
Hence a commonly heard view that the Momentum key should be disabled (open the case, put some paper under the button contacts) if you have sound locos. 

- Nigel

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
April Donations

Advertise Here