!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bealman's Excellent Japanese Adventure!  (Read 12880 times)

Offline railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: Bealman's Excellent Japanese Adventure!
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2019, 07:50:41 AM »
Believe me, compared to the UK, everything Just Works. Basically, you can go to the station, look at the network diagram on the wall which shows prices from the current station, and buy a ticket for that amount, and Robert is your mother's brother. And if you decided to go a bit further, you can just pay the extra at the station you get off at. And you can pay in large denomination bills and the ticket machines will accept them and give change.

It is actually slightly more complex especially if you involve reserved seats and/or advance-booking-with-discounts, but compared to the UK system it's child's play.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2019, 08:10:36 AM »
Agree. Even at ticket machines in rush times at major stations, there would be an attractive young lady in uniform who spoke excellent English and would target you straight away to give assistance. Brilliant!

Wish I could say the same about access, though. There seems to be a distinct lack of facilities for the mobility impaired. If they're there at all, they're not well signposted. I'd often find myself dragging heavy luggage up and down substantial flights of stairs.

Stations in major cities are essentially mini-cities unto themselves!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2019, 10:20:20 AM »
@Bealman @railsquid
Some years ago 'Top Gear' did a race across Japan with Clarkson in a car and May/Hammond using trains/buses. Great play was made that at stations nothing was in English and very few people spoke English so much time was lost by the pair which, eventually, led to Clarkson winning the race.
My question is - have things improved so much over the years, or was it a case of 'never let the truth get in the way of a good story' i.e. let's just make a good TV show and to hell with reality?

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2019, 10:44:21 AM »
@Bealman

Great play was made that at stations nothing was in English and very few people spoke English.........

I was there in 1983. I don't remember how I managed to buy a ticket for a three stop train journey but I do remember standing for about fifteen minutes in front of an impossibly complex map trying to match the squiggles on the ticket to station names on the map hoping to work out which line to use. In a bit of a panic I took a guess at which of the four platforms to use and took the first train to arrive. I guessed correctly.

Later in the day an interpreter girl at the exhibition site I was attending looked at my ticket and told me it just read something like "Central zone only, valid one day".  :-[

Alec.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:45:30 AM by Invicta Alec »
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2019, 11:09:21 AM »
@Bealman @railsquid
Some years ago 'Top Gear' did a race across Japan with Clarkson in a car and May/Hammond using trains/buses. Great play was made that at stations nothing was in English and very few people spoke English so much time was lost by the pair which, eventually, led to Clarkson winning the race.
My question is - have things improved so much over the years, or was it a case of 'never let the truth get in the way of a good story' i.e. let's just make a good TV show and to hell with reality?

I vaguely recall seeing that one. Available on Youtube for reference:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and this may be a controversial opinion, but I'd suggest it would be unwise to treat Top Gear as a hard-hitting fact-based documentary.

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2019, 11:16:48 AM »
I'd say with Top Gear it was a case of TV getting in the way of reality. As seen a few pics ago, signs came up in Japanese, followed closely by English.

As for 1983, maybe not as high tech, but wasn't it fun?

These days, it's not getting on and off the right train, it's getting to them.

(Personal opinion from three weeks experience)   :uneasy:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 11:21:02 AM by Bealman »

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2019, 11:19:17 AM »
@Bealman

Great play was made that at stations nothing was in English and very few people spoke English.........

I was there in 1983. I don't remember how I managed to buy a ticket for a three stop train journey but I do remember standing for about fifteen minutes in front of an impossibly complex map trying to match the squiggles on the ticket to station names on the map hoping to work out which line to use. In a bit of a panic I took a guess at which of the four platforms to use and took the first train to arrive. I guessed correctly.

Later in the day an interpreter girl at the exhibition site I was attending looked at my ticket and told me it just read something like "Central zone only, valid one day".  :-[

Probably a couple of decades too late for this advice, but you could have just bought the cheapest ticket and presented it at the destination station, the staff would have let you know if any additional fare was necessary.

These days there is a plethora of infomation inside and outside the trains Japanese and English (often Korean and Chinese too), even the ticket machines speak English.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2019, 11:38:12 AM »
even the ticket machines speak English.

and, no doubt, better than many English people do (but that's another subject)

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and this may be a controversial opinion, but I'd suggest it would be unwise to treat Top Gear as a hard-hitting fact-based documentary.

Eh? Wot? You mean they've been pulling the wool over my eyes for all these years? What a trio of rotters :unimpressed: :D

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2019, 11:43:50 AM »
These days, it's not getting on and off the right train, it's getting to them.

(Personal opinion from three weeks experience)   :uneasy:

Certainly at most urban stations, and all main stations, there will be escalators and lifts available, though finding them if you're unfamiliar with the location may be more of an issue.

Shinjuku is a bit of a pain due to the sheer size and insane interconnectedness with the surrounding subterranean infrastructure. Had I known I could probably have drawn you a luggage-friendly route. If it's any consolation, they've spent the last 15 years totally reconstructing the underneath of the main JR station and once that's done (next year apparently) things will be a lot easier.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2019, 11:46:47 AM »

Eh? Wot? You mean they've been pulling the wool over my eyes for all these years? What a trio of rotters :unimpressed: :D

In their defence, definitely the people to go to if you want to know the water-carrying capacity of a 1980s Austin Princess.

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2019, 11:56:56 AM »
Shinjuku was cool in a way because it was so difficult. However, it was my choice, even though I didn't have a clue where I was or what I was doing, but we'll leave that for a later episode....
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 11:58:28 AM by Bealman »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2019, 12:24:57 PM »

In their defence, definitely the people to go to if you want to know the water-carrying capacity of a 1980s Austin Princess.

or how to get the best from your touring caravan
Sorry, George :-[

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2019, 12:29:01 PM »
I have a feeling it was you indicating 'right' a few posts ago that started it.

;D
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2019, 12:33:34 PM »
I have a feeling it was you indicating 'right' a few posts ago that started it.

;D

Guilty as charged, m'lud :sorrysign:

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2019, 07:25:00 AM »
....meanwhile, back in the Land of the Rising Sun, the ferry deposited us on the island of Miyajima, where, like other places in Japan, wild deer are allowed to roam freely.

We have them here in Wollongong too, by the way, but the introduced species are feral and becoming a downright pest, and a dangerous one, too. These are full sized stags which wander down from the escarpment looking for food and have caused a number of accidents on local roads, some of them serious. The front garden of Chez Bealman has been chewed up on more than one occasion by these pests. They need culling, and that is that.

Anyway, on the island, they roam quite freely among locals and tourists. This one in the cafe doorway was still there when we returned for the ferry later in the day.

By the way, the food in the window is plastic, not real. One of the cool things about Japan is that just about every eatery you go to, you know what you're getting before you order - you can look at the plastic version in the window!

Mrs B gets up close and personal with the aforementioned wildlife:

Signs are up warning you that these are not tame beasts, and can inflict nasty bites and other injuries. I know what I'd like to inflict on the one that ate me sandwich....

It was on the island that we encountered our first Japanese garden, albeit a small one, but with the biggest goldfish Bealman had ever seen:

We arrived at the Tori Gate just as the tide was going out. Bealman puts on his best "Hey look, I'm a tourist" - mind you, I still reckon that the Japanese themselves are the world's top shutterbugs.....

Itsukushima Shine is surrounded by water by water at high tide:

The tide was pretty much out by now:

Spot the Bealman.....

Mrs B decided she'd walk out and take a look at the gate - that's her in the pink in front of the left central tower - and here's where the deer incident occurred. Just after I took this pic, I thought I'd have lunch. I'm sitting on a wall munching away, when a big hairy head appears over my shoulder and takes off with me sandwich. I got such a fright I managed to spill me beer over with the other hand!  :veryangry:

Anyway, off I went to the nearest public toilet to clean myself up, to be confronted by the most civilised male loo I've ever encountered:

Now how cool is that? Even the island's electrical supply was tidy compared to the mess under Bealman's layout!

Overall, a very pleasant day trip indeed. Recommended.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:03:04 PM by Bealman »

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

Advertise Here