!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bealman's Excellent Japanese Adventure!  (Read 9222 times)

Offline grumbeast

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Bealman's Excellent Japanese Adventure!
« Reply #345 on: June 11, 2019, 05:05:46 AM »
Lovely pictures!  I could spend days just sitting in a garden like that... well maybe sitting and reading (railroad books of course!)

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #346 on: June 11, 2019, 11:27:25 AM »
Ah I've just caught up with the earlier sections of the thread and the great pictures of the Kyoto Railway museum, very good, very good, definitely want to go now!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #347 on: June 16, 2019, 03:50:53 AM »
....upon getting back to Hakone after the boat trip, we went for one last wander through the town (once again, looking in vain for a decent eatery and bar - we ended up eating at the hotel). While there is not a lot to do here, we liked Hakone. It was a nice change from the hustle and bustle of the major cities, and we were heading back to Tokyo, after all.

Nice narrow streets....

The place sits nicely in a steep heavily wooded valley, which railsquid has so effectively captured on his layout:

The place does have it's 7/11 - the bank as well as the edible supply store - notice the prominent ATM sign:

Anyway, after a very nice but expensive in-house restaurant meal (I hope Squiddy isn't correct when he suggests it may have been included in the price), we retired to our ryokan for one last night on the floor. The hotel kindly provided Japanese style robes, and here Mrs B throws on her best Japanese pose (judging by the look on her face, she was looking forward to sleeping on the floor as much as I was):

Next morning back at an almost deserted Odawara station on the JR line, destination the big smoke....

We arrived at Shinjuku station, with hopefully only a short walk to the hotel....

...as usual, WRONG! Actually, it wasn't that far, but it seemed like it with the luggage. Plus, this was TOKYO, not Hakone! Sorta like, people central. Now, a month or so prior to the trip, railsquid had gently suggested that Shinjuku was, well, Shinjuku, and maybe we'd like to stay elsewhere.

Basically, it is a red light district, but that sort of went over me head when I was comparing hotel prices, and Shinjuku is where we ended up. In hindsight, I'm glad. The place certainly has a vibe to it!!!

After walking past Godzilla....

....we arrived at our destination, the 21st floor of the APA hotel:

While this is a big hotel, with what must be hundreds and hundreds of rooms, they're once again darned small. It's hard to make out in this pic, but the bed is right up against the window - so the only way to get up is to climb over the person on the other side! Now this might be fine if you are into playing the Japanese version of Twister, but when you're desperate for a pee in the night.... well you go figure

You have of course, the vantage of being high up, which really drives home just how densely packed a place you are in....

A little bit of greenery down there, though - a building covered in it!

....continued/

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:56:11 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #348 on: June 16, 2019, 05:18:09 AM »
Claustrophobic

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #349 on: June 16, 2019, 07:35:01 AM »
Hi George,

More nice pics of a proper tourist insight to a country.

I like the the pics of your neighbour's swimming pool at the end. It probably doesn't have one but I envisage a swim up bar to the left although I wouldn't be allowed to leave by my wife if the only exit was the outside steps to the right. I don't have vertigo but they look like they'd be a bit scary after a few sherbets  :).

Great stuff.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #350 on: June 16, 2019, 08:04:17 AM »
That whole building complex with the pool is actually a hospital  :hmmm:
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #351 on: June 16, 2019, 08:08:02 AM »
 :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Good one, Ian! That's shot weave's bar down in flames, then....  ;)

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #352 on: June 16, 2019, 08:20:41 AM »
If you're going to drunkenly fall down steps no better place.

Bit off topic, sort of, but had to go to Madrid Hospital in 1988 and they had a huge bar, like a massive Weatherspoons, full of doctors all drinking, smoking and eating tapas - amazing.

Don't think they had a pool though.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #353 on: June 16, 2019, 08:23:57 AM »
Actually digging about a bit, because I remember there being a small shopping complex in the basement of that building, the pool appears to be associated with some sort of health/sports facility.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #354 on: June 16, 2019, 08:55:39 AM »
loving the pics George, although it sounds as if you are coming to the end of the trip. Where are we going next on your travels?

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #355 on: June 16, 2019, 09:17:14 AM »
Thanks, Graham. It was going to be TINGS, but I've reluctantly had to accept that it's not going to happen this year.

Unless a miracle happens.... but let's not enter the arena of Australian politics.....  ;)

Sorry, only Aussies will understand that comment  ;)

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #356 on: June 16, 2019, 10:43:23 AM »
yes the interest rates are affecting all of us who now live on our super. I was hoping for TINGS next year but looks like it may be 2021 before I can make it again.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #357 on: June 16, 2019, 05:12:54 PM »
One thing about sleeping on the floor, George, it doesn't hurt so much when you fall out of bed :no:

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #358 on: June 16, 2019, 11:10:35 PM »
Any such benefits are totally nullified when you have to struggle to get up to take a leak, unfortunately  :worried:

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #359 on: June 17, 2019, 03:11:19 AM »
Shinjuku!

One thing that these pictures do not convey is the sound! The whole place is filled with music and voices from all of the video hoardings, and at night is even more so. As the Irish band U2 said on their first visit, it's like a scene from the movie Blade Runner.

Off exploring.....

There was an advantage to the hotel.... there was a reasonably priced bar just around the corner (the black railings in the photo below). A good venue to enjoy a drink and watch the people go by!

As railsquid predicted, quite a few strip joints in the area....

However, we generally felt quite safe and found the vibe exciting. Here, Mrs B ponders which way to go....

I didn't fancy crab, but there was English, Sottish and Welsh food available if the signage on the left is to be believed...

Then, heading up this street.....

...we came to a busy street intersection. Now I had tried in vain to walk to Shibuya crossing on the first day in Tokyo. For those unfamiliar, Shibuya crossing is the largest, busiest pedestrian crossing in the world. This was not Shibuya, but it was good enough for Bealman!

See what I mean about the huge signs? The whole street was filled with sound from them as well!

Ok... the crowd gathers... fleeing Godzilla as he appears at the top of the building in the background....

...the light turns green, and they're off! Except some of them seem to be heading towards Godzilla.....  :worried:

....a few stragglers.....

Being of musical persuasion, Mrs Bealman located a shop selling stringed instruments. The cello in the middle, at 489,500 Yen, works out at A$6549.20, or 3578.41 Pounds Sterling. We did not take one home with us.

As darkness fell, I located one of those HUB British pubs, which we arranged to meet railsquid at the following evening.

The guy in the picture here looks quite menacing, but I believe these guys are paid to advertise nearby eateries. We never felt threatened here.

As darkness sets further in, the place lights up. Hate to think of the electricity bills

....coming up..... a meeting with railsquid!!!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £51.00
Below Goal: £49.00
Site Currency: GBP
51% 
October Donations

Advertise Here