!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bealman's Excellent Japanese Adventure!  (Read 10345 times)

Online railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: Bealman's Excellent Japanese Adventure!
« Reply #285 on: May 31, 2019, 04:06:50 PM »
Meanwhile, back in Japan, you might be interested to read this article: Carefully, Japan Reconsiders the Trash Can

Hmm. Well that certainly explains things a bit. However, it sort of conflicts with the excessive plastic wrapping which is so prevalent!

I must admit to being one of those confused tourists!

In reference to the above, here's an example of what I mean.....

In Hiroshima, we were heading back to the hotel when Mrs B said she felt hungry and fancied an apple. Passing a supermarket - yes, a supermarket, not a 7/11, she discovered apples were hard to find, as was any of the fresh fruit such as oranges, bananas and so on that we are used to. She eventually found this:

One individually wrapped apple!!

I was astonished. Look at the unnecessary packaging and plastic. That apple cost 184 Yen, ie, A$2.30, 1.26 British Pounds.

One aspect which didn't really impress Bealman, I'm sorry.

I must admit that while packaging is a bit over the top sometimes, I'm not sure where I'd go to buy an apple packaged like that. Fancy food hall in the basement of a department store? Here in suburbia we plonk the fruit directly into the shopping basket, and have to bring our own shopping bags (or pay for one) to have something to put them in.

Apples do tend to be on the expensive side though, and quite large so they're not usually eaten as individual snacks. Bananas are usually cheap.

Anyway if you ever visit the UK, do pop into Sainsburys and pick up a pack of Sainsbury's Pink Lady Apple Snack Pack 80g.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #286 on: May 31, 2019, 11:11:28 PM »
Thinking hard about where that apple was purchased, I think the shop was located in the thoroughfare between Hiroshima JR station and the Hotel Granvia, also affiliated with JR. That may have had something to do with it.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #287 on: June 01, 2019, 06:00:28 AM »
As you're still on fruit, I did see this....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-radio-and-tv-17352173

Might explain things.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #288 on: June 01, 2019, 07:06:19 AM »
Certainly goes a way to explaining it! Mind you, there was nothing mind-bogglingly spectacular about our apple, though  :worried:

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #289 on: June 03, 2019, 06:03:26 AM »
.....meanwhile, back at the Toyota museum, Bealman continued to be fascinated by the first Celica.

The cars were attended by an attractive female museum guide who spoke excellent English. She kindly opened the doors for me, although she would not let me climb into it. Notice even that model had the really cool red lights in the door, and also electric windows.

She kindly let me look inside the Corolla, too:

After spending quite a bit of time on those two, we wandered on, coming across an early Corona and Camry:

....and various other Toyota products...

To me, the really cool parts of the museum were the robot production line exhibits, which were fully operational. I took videos of them, but have not uploaded them to You Tube, so they will have to wait for another day. There was a vehicle at speed on a rolling road:

The robot violin player was apparently a product of a partnership of Toyota and some other company:

To be honest, I found it a bit spooky!

When we left the museum, we still had a bit of time, so we decided to take a look at Nagoya castle. This was an error of judgement.... the day had become very hot, and there was a fair bit of walking involved. Plus, there was a lot of renovation work going on:

....and the castle itself looked like a carbon copy of the Osaka castle (well to my eyes, anyway):

At this point I made an even bigger mistake. The tourist bus that would take us back to the hotel was about a twenty minute wait. When one came around the corner, I thought, "ok... let's get that one"

Well the bloody thing took us to our hotel alright - the long way round. Two hour trip! At least we saw quite a bit of Nagoya, I guess.

Our hotel was what I'd call mid-range and came with buffet breakfast included in the price, but the rooms were still very small:

That night we ate at Torikizoku again. By now we knew what we were going to order and knew we'd enjoy it! Not sure about this stuff, though, although the bottom middle one seems obvious enough, though the animal it was from less so.

We had the usual!

Nagoya also has an excellent science centre. Stay tuned!

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 06:50:20 AM by Bealman »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #290 on: June 03, 2019, 10:04:58 AM »

The robot violin player was apparently a product of a partnership of Toyota and some other company:

I always wondered what happened to Nigel Kennedy :worried:

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #291 on: June 03, 2019, 10:13:11 AM »
Probably inside the suit  ;D

Who's Nigel Kennedy?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #292 on: June 03, 2019, 10:23:10 AM »
An old punk fiddle player.......

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #293 on: June 03, 2019, 10:37:00 AM »
They need to stick a beard on the robot, then.

I preferred the blonde violinist at the end, but I guess that was probably his missus  ;)

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #294 on: June 03, 2019, 01:03:28 PM »

That's due to the lack of body language in a human-shaped figure. Your brain is expecting it but isn't receiving it. That's why robophobia is a very real condition. Some people really get freaked out by the lack of humanness.

Of course, when they rise up and exterminate us all, we won't much care about their body language...

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #295 on: June 03, 2019, 03:30:46 PM »
Some people really get freaked out by the lack of humanness.

Going by some of the sights I've seen at various model railway shows, robots would hold no worries for me :no:

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #296 on: June 03, 2019, 04:20:07 PM »
They used to place one of those robots at the site of any major accident involving a Toyota vehicle.

True fact: railsquid's brother (long resident in kangaroo-infested parts) used to work for Toyota, and they sent him to Nagoya (or some deity-forsaken suburb next to Nagoya) for almost a year to learn the Toyota Way, as a result of which he and most of the other Kangarooinfestedland engineers sent there no longer work for Toyota.

I did learn that Toyota adjust their vehicle engineering for the target market, e.g. anything designed for North America has to have suspension as soft as a mattress slept on for 20 years by an elephant and about 2 gazillion 200oz cupholders (my memory is fuzzy on the precise details but you get the idea). I can't remember if there was anything specific for Australia, maybe extra-strong roofs because of the drop bears?
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #297 on: June 03, 2019, 11:30:54 PM »
That year in Nagoya worked well then  ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:33:48 PM by Bealman »

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #298 on: June 04, 2019, 03:22:56 AM »
.....next day, after a buffet breakfast (yes, western style, with bacon & scrambled eggs), off in search of the science centre. It was quite a long way, involving a subway ride and a considerable walk, but rounding a corner into a park, we came across this.....

.....no, not a giant golf ball, but the science centre! I guessed it had to be, because parked outside was this big sucker of a Japanese launch vehicle:

Inside was very impressive, with multiple levels covering just about every scientific discipline. Remember Pythagoras? Push the button, and this display demonstrated the theorem in a novel way I had not seen before. Bealman was impressed!

Me being a lifetime spacehead, I was very interested in the universe section. It was good to see a "Powers of 10" display running, and was one I used in my science teaching days to get across the concept of vastness and also microness.

Interested forum members may be interested in checking out this cool link:

http://htwins.net/scale2/

I got many a useful lesson out of using this.

Back at the museum, they had a model of the venerable Saturn V moon rocket (50 years ago this July, by the way):

Generally a very impressive facility.

There was a special exhibit on at the time that our passes allowed access to. Like Bealman, the Japanese are huge Marvel fanatics (Avengers Infinity War was on over there at the time), and of course he had to check it out:

A very enjoyable afternoon. On the way home, we stopped by at one of those Hub British pubs, which was advertising the up-coming game between Japan and Ghana:

Also walked past that intriguing little place which I really wished I'd stuck me head into:

Although our hotel was reasonably modern:

The room had the most seriously small fridge I have ever encountered in my life. Unfortunately this photo does not really show the smallness of it. It had room for one can of beer. Should have been included in the Scale of the Universe software!!!

Anyway, by now we were on our way back to Tokyo, but with one more stop to make. We really wanted to see a bit of countryside, preferably near Mount Fuji. So, after a quick heart starter in another Yebisu Bar,

...it was back to the station to board another Shinkansen....

What you can't see in the above photos is the vast, teeming underground shopping centres and malls that most of these cities have. I sometimes think that the Japanese are a subterrainean race!

The speed of these Shinkansens when passing through non-stop is truly frightening. Hopefully I will be able to post a video. Blink and you'll miss it!

Spotted this - railsquid indentification?

Next up... a little peace and quiet before Tokyo....
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 03:27:26 AM by Bealman »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #299 on: June 04, 2019, 05:31:39 AM »
thanks certainly been all over the place bealman !!!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here