!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bealman's Excellent Japanese Adventure!  (Read 8722 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Bealman's Excellent Japanese Adventure!
« Reply #165 on: May 06, 2019, 06:15:51 AM »
 :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Thanks! What museum would that be, then? Hope squidlet enjoys his snack! :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: May 06, 2019, 09:56:40 AM »
I have a DD51 and which is a lovely runner, except it didnít like the code 80 points on my layout. Hence I now have used Kato tracks. To be honest, that wasnít the only reason for the change. Excellent story George. By the way, I remember climbing on Locomotion on Bank Top Station. It is now in the North Road Railway Museum at Darlington.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #167 on: May 06, 2019, 10:06:51 AM »
Thanks,  Malc!  :thumbsup:

My track is Code 80 too, but runs over the points OK.

Ok, three of them. Didn't check the rest!  :D

As to North Road Museum, dunno.... is that nearby? (the station)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 10:15:37 AM by Bealman »

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #168 on: May 06, 2019, 10:13:56 AM »
... without boring folk, I hope, heaps to come.... the Toyota museum , Nagoya - which, heaven forbid was possibly better than the railway museum!

Nagoya science museum also, along with excursions into not-so-urban areas.  :beers:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 10:17:50 AM by Bealman »

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: May 06, 2019, 03:24:19 PM »
... without boring folk, I hope, heaps to come.... the Toyota museum , Nagoya - which, heaven forbid was possibly better than the railway museum!

Nagoya science museum also, along with excursions into not-so-urban areas.  :beers:

I've not yet been to any of the transport/science museums mentioned in this thread so all of interest.  :thumbsup: :beers:

....anyway, regardless of what they're called, Bealman continued to be surrounded by Japanese locomotive history....

An EF66 1500v DC Bo-Bo-Bo locomotive introduced in the late 1960s for high-speed freight between Tokyo and western Japan, in latter days they also hauled sleeper trains. Two are still in service, just about.

An Osaka train!

Not sure what the beasties in the above pics are, but maybe railsquid can enlighten us?

The orange EMU is a 101 series, the first "modern" commuter train in post-war Japan, introduced 1957-ish, these and the similar-looking 103 series were common sights on the national commuter network until the early 2000s, a few from later production runs still survive in service.

There were numerous genuine cabs on display, which you could sit at and play with the controls. This is a diesel, I believe.
(...)
And then this quite amazing cockpit from a DE10 type diesel, where the driver sits sideways to the motion of the train!!!

What doesn't seem to be apparent is that the DE10 has two of these cockpits, on either side; these locos were designed for shunting and end-to-end trip work; the sideways orientation apparently makes it easier to change direction, and two cockpits so the driver could sit on the left side when running forwards. See pic here for a hint of the layout:

https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/kokutethu/18791256.html

Here is "The Tailights Express", whatever that is  ???

Looks like the tailcar of the former Twilight Express sleeper train.

Don't ask me what all this stuff is about..... I assume some sort of railway related entertainment from the seventies and eighties, by the look of it.....  :worried:

Songs with railway-related themes.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #170 on: May 06, 2019, 03:33:17 PM »
Posting from a train museum right  now (waiting for the Squidlet to finish eating), so no fancy quoting, but the big red diesel is a DD51 (Bo-Bo-Bo), yours IIRC is a DD13 (Bo-Bo)

I must correct myself, the DD51 is Bo-2-Bo.

I have a DD51 and which is a lovely runner, except it didnít like the code 80 points on my layout. Hence I now have used Kato tracks. To be honest, that wasnít the only reason for the change.

I occasionally run into issues with the centre bogie on Japanese Bo-Bo-Bo/Bo-2-Bo locos as they are held in place against the track with a large spring, and are potentially prone to "tripping ip" over track the leading power bogie passes over.  Worth checking that the spring is in place and doing its job, and that the wheelset back-to-backs are adjusted correctly.

The centre bogie on the DD51 has quite small wheels, which may not have helped.

Thanks,  Malc!  :thumbsup:

My track is Code 80 too, but runs over the points OK.

Ok, three of them. Didn't check the rest!  :D

Like I said, yours is (I think) a  DD13, certainly a Bo-Bo so different kettle of sushi.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #171 on: May 06, 2019, 04:00:16 PM »
....anyway, regardless of what they're called, Bealman continued to be surrounded by Japanese locomotive history....

The multiple unit here is a KiHa 81 (variant of the KiHa 80), a long-distance express DMU. In service between ca. 1960 and 1978.

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: May 06, 2019, 04:38:59 PM »
Bealman!

This whole thread is wonderful There is no risk of people being bored I don't think  I'm certainly living vicariously through your adventure until my family can afford to go (we've started saving, and it will be a little cheaper now we live on the west coast). 

PLUS

you posted a pic of an EF66 .. possibly my all-time worldwide favourite electric locomotive :) As a little boy I had a book with a pic of one of these in it and thought it was the best thing ever even before I knew anything about Japanese railways

So.. keep posting.. looking forward to more

thanks!

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #173 on: May 06, 2019, 11:15:38 PM »
So glad you're enjoying it, grumbeast.  :thumbsup:

Japan is definitely different and worth a visit!

Thanks too, for all the clarification, railsquid. I knew I could rely on you to fill in the details!  :beers:

One ommision though.... what did Squidlet have for lunch?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:16:46 PM by Bealman »

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #174 on: May 06, 2019, 11:37:38 PM »

Thanks too, for all the clarification, railsquid. I knew I could rely on you to fill in the details!  :beers:

One ommision though.... what did Squidlet have for lunch?

Some bread:

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2019, 12:56:06 AM »
And two big machines in the background!  :thumbsup:

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2019, 04:17:59 AM »
I'm afraid I couldn't understand the Yahoo blog, as the translator said Ooops. I got the idea from the picture, though.

That twilight express looks great! Shame it's discontinued. Sapporo was in my original plan, but of course it never happened. Going on that train would have been an adventure in itself!

Discontinued on economic grounds, I guess?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 04:19:07 AM by Bealman »

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #177 on: May 07, 2019, 05:14:33 AM »
And two big machines in the background!  :thumbsup:

See here for more pictures.

I'm afraid I couldn't understand the Yahoo blog, as the translator said Ooops. I got the idea from the picture, though.

It was the best picture I could find  of the cab interior showing the presence of both control panels.

That twilight express looks great! Shame it's discontinued. Sapporo was in my original plan, but of course it never happened. Going on that train would have been an adventure in itself!

Discontinued on economic grounds, I guess?

Yup, the market for long-distance overnight travel has shifted to cheap buses at the lower end of the market, and expensive luxury resort trains at the upper end. Also the opening of the Hokkaido Shinkansen has reduced the number of paths available for non-freight/non-Shinkansen trains through the tunnel between Hokkaido and Honshu. I do now regret not trying a proper loco-hauled sleeper service while they were still running, it just never occurred to me at the time.

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #178 on: May 07, 2019, 06:41:59 AM »
....Kyoto Museum continued.....

Probably the most popular interactive exhibit in the museum was the Shinkansen simulator....

All EIGHT of 'em!!!

No, Bealman did not have a go (as much as he desperately wanted to), because they were extremely popular and possibly a little too complicated for him anyway  :worried:

Like most things of this nature, it seemed a bit expensive for the allocated time on it. So, moving along the concourse....

....I came across a more traditional kind of simulator - a "U-Drive" layout similar to ones many people at model railway exhibitions across the world put on for youngsters - only this one was a lot bigger!!

Once again I didn't have a go on it, even though the queues weren't massive. People already on there seemed to be concentrating very hard!

There were other interactive things which I found just as, if not more interesting - signals and points!

Anyway, one of the major strengths of this museum (particularly on a beautiful day weatherwise) is the outdoor areas and exhibits. The Skydeck had a wonderful vista of the city and main railway lines:

A great view of the extensive yard and Kyoto Tower:

...and of course lots of action out on the mainlines. There was even a signalman's information screen showing what trains you were looking at, updated in realtime!

Here a train heads into Kyoto on the local lines. The sheer density of housing and apartments is again seen in the background:

The museum also operates an engine in steam, which of course you can ride on. It can be just seen here, while a commuter train hurries above it.

Another commuter heads into Kyoto:

While a Shinkansen accelerates quickly away on the high speed line.

Next.... the roundhouse!!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 04:08:05 AM by Bealman »

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: May 07, 2019, 08:34:57 AM »
Thank you for these super pictures, George.

Was this a 'normal' day at the museum?  The National Railway Museum (now, just Railway Museum - why?!) has big queues and a locomotive in steam, but only on special days.  It does have the signallers' screens, though, and these appear to work most of the time.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything