!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bealman's Excellent Japanese Adventure!  (Read 7733 times)

Offline crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Bealman's Excellent Japanese Adventure!
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2019, 07:41:26 AM »
thanks george

a memorable trip

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2019, 07:59:47 AM »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2019, 12:51:29 PM »
Danger!  Quicksand! :no:

Deer Deer :doh:

Great pics, George

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2019, 01:02:30 PM »
mick

george bealman said to mrs b " oh my dear, are you ok my dear , i m more worried  about you,never mind that deer ! " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2019, 04:12:43 PM »
Really lovely pics George, shrines and gardens in Japan are top of the list for Mr and Mrs Grumbeast to visit, we’re saving for a trip there in the next few years.  I get your frustration with Deer too, we have an urban herd here, flowers get chomped, trees get stripped and only the backup camera on the car has stopped me running one down on my driveway

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2019, 12:08:26 AM »
That's exactly what happens here. Last year a group of about half a dozen or so wandered out onto the motorway from Sydney - speed limit 110 km/hr!!

Wollongong has a large steelworks, and there have even been sightings there! The steelworks is connected by rail to the mine on the escarpment behind Chez Bealman, so presumably they have wandered down there.

They are not the cute little critters you see in these photos... these are big beasts and are becoming a real problem.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2019, 01:09:40 AM »
Hi George,

We need to ship Fenton off to Australia to sort your deers out!  :)

Love that you seem to have been living off MacDonald's breakfasts and sandwiches (and beer).

Great stuff.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2019, 01:22:35 AM »
Great pictures. Your adventures just add fuel to the fire to visit Japan. My wife is fifth-generation Californian, even her grandparents didn't speak the language. I have a small tattoo of the memorial at Manzanar. Her parents were both interned. I use it as a reminder of how to behave.

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2019, 05:24:04 AM »
I really wanted to visit ground zero, the site where the bomb exploded at 8.15am on that August 6th morning of 1945. So, on a suitably overcast but very warm and humid day off we went.

Like most cities in the world these days, Hiroshima has a tourist bus which does a circuit of the city and you can get on and off at various landmarks. We used this here and in Nagoya, although the Nagoya one didn't quite work out as planned, but I'm getting ahead of meself.

Hiroshima also has a tram (streetcar) system:

The bus soon arrived at the site in the centre of Hiroshima. Originally the Hiroshima Prefectural Commercial Exhibition Hall, the Genbaku Dome was re-named the Atomic or A-Bomb Dome after the war.

The first thought that came into my head was "My God, this is IT. I'm actually standing at Ground Zero. This is really where it happened. Total obliteration in a matter of seconds."

It was a very sombre and sobering experience. It may have just been my mood, but despite there being parties of schoolkids everywhere, and being in the heart of a busy city, the place was strangely quiet.

A sign nearby gives the details. The photo of the dome and the surrounding city just after the event is staggering. I found it hard to believe I was actually standing there.

The river in the photo on the sign is still there, of course, and the proximity of the dome to modern day Hiroshima is obvious from these photos:

Nearby is the Memorial Peace Park.

Which had a party of schoolkids singing respectfully while we were there:

There are thousands of paper cranes, which people send in from all over the world:

All up, a moody and different morning. I basically couldn't believe I was standing right at the very spot the A-bomb dropped. Weird, almost.

Anyway, next, a bit more upbeat - reunited with Bealette in Kyoto, home of - wait for it, train fans - Kyoto Railway Museum!!!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 05:29:53 AM by Bealman »

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2019, 05:08:22 PM »
Fascinating George, if a bit puzzling. I would have expected a deep crater, then I remembered the Fat Boy exploded about 2000 ft in the air.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2019, 10:08:36 PM »
Yes indeed, Malc. As it says on the sign, 600m above, 160m SE of the dome.

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2019, 07:21:51 AM »
.....We had a couple of days available before meeting up with Bealette again in Kyoto, so we stayed over a night in Okayama, to see a bit more of Japan. At the risk of offending our Japanese resident member Railsquid, I'm not sure why we did - as far as I saw, the city didn't seem to have a lot to see! Sort of like travelling from London to Edinburgh and having a stop over at say, my home town  :-\

Anyway, just a quick return to Hiroshima....

This area of the Peace Park has apparently steps leading down to a book depository which has names of the 300,000 plus people who have died either directly or indirectly of the effects of the bomb to date.

In Okayama, we stayed at a JR Hotel Granvia again, and being up-market, there was always a paper waiting outside your door in the morning. Anyway, they must check with reception, 'cos ours was always in English!

Anyway, on the front page was a story about all of the books being exhumed and brought to the surface to dry out as they tend to get damp (see picture). That happened the day after our visit. Interesting co-incidence, I thought.

A couple of shots from the Shinkansen enroute to Okayama.... I've included the first shot not because of the castle just beyond the station platform, but because of the yellow studs and grooves which are on the platform.

These bloody things are everywhere in Japan, and to be honest, Bealman found them to be a damn nuisance. My painful ankle didn't help, but I found wheeled luggage getting caught in the grooves and generally causing grief. I'm not all at all sure of their purpose or function. One for @railsquid ?

Another personal impression.... I found the settlement all the way down the east coast from Tokyo to Hiroshima as seen from the Shinkansen to be almost one continuous urban conurbation. Here is a rare bit of greenery, and you can see what I assume to be a superhighway on the bridge in the distance.

Anyway, the speedy train arrived in Okayama. Here it is at the station, with the hotel in the background:

Those orange things in the ground are prominent yet again! Technical shot showing power transfer between cars:

Here is the view from our hotel window. Now if you can tell the difference from the view in Hiroshima, well done..... 'cos I'm not sure I can!  :hmmm:

There is even a bus station right outside!

Anyway, darkness fell, and we went out in search of a feed.

We ate at an Indian restaurant, but here we go with another Bealman interpretation.... I got the impression that whenever the Japanese try to do food which well, isn't Japanese, they do it the way they think it should be. The Indian food we had looked and tasted like what they THOUGHT Indian food looks and tastes like. We saw an Italian restaurant, but once again, there was a definite Japanese tinge to the menu - the Japanese idea of Italian food. It's hard to explain, but that was Bealman's impression.

Anyway, we ended up in a local pub - The Rover's Return this definitely was not!  :beers:

....continued.....

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 07:26:35 AM by Bealman »

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2019, 07:59:46 AM »
.....We had a couple of days available before meeting up with Bealette again in Kyoto, so we stayed over a night in Okayama, to see a bit more of Japan. At the risk of offending our Japanese resident member Railsquid, I'm not sure why we did - as far as I saw, the city didn't seem to have a lot to see! Sort of like travelling from London to Edinburgh and having a stop over at say, my home town  :-\

If memory serves correctly, Okayama is home to one of Japan's Three Megafamous Gardens.

If memory also serves correctly, I got off there once, nosed around the station and decided I had more interesting places to go.

A couple of shots from the Shinkansen enroute to Okayama.... I've included the first shot not because of the castle just beyond the station platform, but because of the yellow studs and grooves which are on the platform.

These bloody things are everywhere in Japan, and to be honest, Bealman found them to be a damn nuisance. My painful ankle didn't help, but I found wheeled luggage getting caught in the grooves and generally causing grief. I'm not all at all sure of their purpose or function. One for @railsquid ?

Stand one one of those lines long enough and a blind person with a white stick will bump into you.

Another personal impression.... I found the settlement all the way down the east coast from Tokyo to Hiroshima as seen from the Shinkansen to be almost one continuous urban conurbation.

That's because it is... the topography of Japan, which is about 90% uninhabitable mountains, means everything is squashed into the few bit which are flat, especially along the Pacfic coast... One reason why the original Shinkansen is so successful as it links the main population centres in a single line.

We ate at an Indian restaurant, but here we go with another Bealman interpretation.... I got the impression that whenever the Japanese try to do food which well, isn't Japanese, they do it the way they think it should be. The Indian food we had looked and tasted like what they THOUGHT Indian food looks and tastes like. We saw an Italian restaurant, but once again, there was a definite Japanese tinge to the menu - the Japanese idea of Italian food. It's hard to explain, but that was Bealman's impression.

Here's a funny thing - I went to China once, and the food there was not in the least like any Chinese food I'd experienced in Europe or Japan...

Most of the "Indian" restaurants in Japan seem to be owned by Nepalis anyway (something to do with historically relaxed immigration regulations for Nepal). Some are more authentic than others.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2019, 08:04:57 AM »
That's cleared up a few things!

Thanks mate!   :beers:

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2019, 08:43:27 AM »
Stand one one of those lines long enough and a blind person with a white stick will bump into you.

Cool! Does it work like the Faller Car System? :no:

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything