!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 3D Resin printing - on my new printer  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: 3D Resin printing - on my new printer
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2019, 09:33:07 AM »
After seeing some of the neat work that Only Me has produced, I have to admit I was tempted at one point in buying one of these printers.

Apart from the modeling and fun aspect of 3D printing I would like a printer for rapid tooling, sadly the Photon would not be up to producing the accuracy and quality required for that type of work, come to think of it nor any sold on the market within a sensible price bracket.

However on a more positive note its really refreshing to see modelers buying these cheap machines and pushing the boundaries, some of the results achieved through will power, time and experimenting have been amazing.

As far as I'm concerned those of you dedicating so much of your time to create models that are not commercially manufactured, are all pioneers and an asset to the hobby and deserve a big pat on the back.  :thumbsup:

Online longbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2019, 09:38:45 AM »
3D printing is advancing in dog years and affordable printers are already close to matching the quality of injection moulding. Now is a good time to get on board.

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2019, 02:39:05 PM »
3D printing is advancing in dog years and affordable printers are already close to matching the quality of injection moulding. Now is a good time to get on board.

Thanks but I have already been involved with trying 3D printing for my tooling and its not quite there yet for the type of work I do, especially when it is compared to the quality of EDM.

However hopefully in the not so distant future things will improve on that front when I eventually retire and have more time for my modeling.

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2019, 09:46:50 AM »
I would say 2-4 years and personal 3D printing will be pretty darn good. I am amazed at what some people can get out of a resin printer. The FDM ones are just are fun it would seem, as getting them to do detail work without step lines is pretty difficult, if not impossible. The tech behind all this is fun stuff!

Going back to the GWR Saint loco, I would really like to print one of these.

Online Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2019, 09:55:11 AM »
I suspect that for a model of the detail of ATSO, myself or others are producing the STL files won’t be freely available.  However there are good STL files available free on Thingverse and other sites a couple of which are very good scale N items.

The best way to start is with a CAD program and “play” as you can always get Shapeways to print before laying out money on a printer.

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2019, 09:58:38 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I was expecting anything for FREE...is there such a thing these days? LOL Given the pricing at Shapeways has gotten beyond stupid, I have noticed makers offering the STLs, or in some cases, home printed versions of their own work, for sale. Hence, I was wondering if this is possible, as I have decided to just avoid Shapeways.

As for Thingiverse, yes, a lot of good stuff there but I haven't had much luck looking for N-Gauge trains. I have however found loads of stuff for my son's Star Wars! ;)

PS This website offers STLs for sale....https://pinshape.com/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:01:10 AM by Doc Pye »

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2019, 10:09:46 AM »
I definitely believe that printing on demand by the designers with their own printers is here.  I already offer my Shapeways listed items in FUD and in resin direct from myself.  It Is so much cheaper.

Pricing will become important as makers need to cover resin and other consumables as well as a mark up to pay for the cost of the printers.  Most modern printers or their CAD will calculate the cost of resin used per model and at the small end of the range the item price can be as low as 10% of the Shapeways FUD price.

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27022
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2019, 08:21:21 AM »
Hopefully I will have enough pennies saved to get my Photon at the start of next month.

@Doc Pye So did you save enought to buy one?

Aditional question to
@Snowwolflair @Only Me

Have you tried the Plant based resins?
We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2019, 09:27:22 AM »
I bought a Photon last month, very impressed so far, keep meaning to start a thread with my amateurish beginnings. Also thinking of trying the plant based resins as mrs njee20 isn’t wild keen on the smell of the normal stuff.

Double the price though...  :doh:

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2019, 09:38:03 AM »
I would be interested in hearing about anyone's experience with the plant based resins, particularly their long term stability.  thanks

Online Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2019, 11:35:32 AM »
I bought a Photon last month, very impressed so far, keep meaning to start a thread with my amateurish beginnings. Also thinking of trying the plant based resins as mrs njee20 isn’t wild keen on the smell of the normal stuff.

Double the price though...  :doh:

Try the white and grey anycubic resins they smell a lot less... Also you can attach a bathroom extractor to the rear plate on the photon to extract the fumes outside... theres an item on thingiverse that you can print on an FDM which is a replacement for the bottom back rear panel and it has an extractor hose part

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2877754

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2019, 11:38:26 AM »
Yeah I bought the grey on your recommendation, and that is noticeably less odourous thanks, but apparently still too much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't find it offensive I must say (particularly they grey, the green was less pleasant).

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything