!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 3D Resin printing - on my new printer  (Read 2086 times)

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
3D Resin printing - on my new printer
« on: April 03, 2019, 08:43:10 PM »
I have had 3D printers for over fifteen years, where the earliest ones were like the first generation 360 by 240 digital cameras and today's state of the art printers are about the same as a 4MB pixel camera.  The point I am making is that what we had early on was crude and not worth of serious modelling and that what we can now buy is certainly capable of producing very usable models.  What the future brings inevitably will be better.

Not least is the quality of preparation software now available that makes the task of preparing and printing a model no harder that using Microsoft Paint.

For some years I have been watching the development of LCD-SLA printers where an LCD is driven like a computer screen placing a UV pattern on resin which hardens it.  Multiple layers forms a 3D solid.  The problem with the early versions of these printers is they had small build plates. 

My first printer of this type had a build plate of 60mm by 40mm and was designed to print wax resin masters fro jewellery.  It produced very fine detail but the biggest item it could print was a small wagon and that was a struggle.   I was therefor very pleased to find that the new generation of these printers can print an area equivalent to A5 sheet of paper 190mm by 120mm.   This is a game changer as this size of build plat allows a Mk3 coach to be printed flat and square to the plate.  So I took the plunge.  :)

A picture is better than a thousand words and these shots sum it up nicely.

I am currently running tests as I have leapt in at the deep end with the highest complexity print I have and, fortunately, it has come out 95% first time and I am learning how to get the last 5% which is all about generating the support structures.  My plan is to add more posts as I learn what tweaks work.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: 3D Resin printing - on my new printer
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 08:48:50 PM »
Another dark art (like electrickery) I shall never master so we are lucky to have folks like you who can get their heads around this devils work, David
Strange looking MK3 coach, though :confused1:

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 08:57:53 PM »
Yes indeed. That is a very fine and crisp print - but what is it, please?  :hmmm:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 09:02:54 PM »
Yes indeed. That is a very fine and crisp print - but what is it, please?  :hmmm:

Its a High Output Concrete Train which I did the CAD for  - see this thread.

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41792.msg515356#msg515356

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 09:24:01 PM »
Not a bad looking print. Which brand of printer is it? 

I cant see in the picture but is the Z axis fitted with either a trapezoidal or ball screw?

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 09:30:32 PM »
Not a bad looking print. Which brand of printer is it? 

I cant see in the picture but is the Z axis fitted with either a trapezoidal or ball screw?

It's a Phrosen Shuffle XL and it uses a ball screw for the Z axis.

They have a dealer in Hatton Garden London, which is part of the reason I bought it, for support, parts and resin.  Its unsurprisingly become very popular with jewellers.

This is a first print using default values and I'm already improving the print quality.

Offline dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 09:43:46 PM »
Like NPN, this is one thing that I can not see me taking up. Fortunately there are people like you David who know what they are doing with this type of printer, (I am quite happy with my HP multi function printer), so good luck with it.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »
A few photos from my experiments.

The main issue of printing using an LCD-SLA printer is making sure overhanging parts don't sag when printing.  You avoid this with thin props that hold up the vulnerable points.  The downside is the props are part of the print and have to be cut off leaving point marks on the print and if they are wrongly place can touch over more than just the point contact.

Take a look at the two photos of the Zeppelin Air Car showing poor supports and much better supports.

If you have bad supports you get adhesion on the surface as can be seen on this print and how it looks when corrected.

Stating the obvious, supports on the inside are unimportant and easily removed.

Offline Dizz

• N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 04:08:27 PM »
The final results look excellent :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Did you "draw" the last 3D designs yourself or is there an online repository where you can buy designs?  I have been looking and there are a few suitable files for scaling down to N gauge available on Thingiverse, but only of line-side equipment.
I recently bought an Anycubic Photon and intend having my first go at 3d printing this coming w/e: am anticipating a steep learning curve! ::)
Pete
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 04:09:42 PM by Dizz »

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 04:26:04 PM »
The final results look excellent :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Did you "draw" the last 3D designs yourself or is there an online repository where you can buy designs?  I have been looking and there are a few suitable files for scaling down to N gauge available on Thingiverse, but only of line-side equipment.
I recently bought an Anycubic Photon and intend having my first go at 3d printing this coming w/e: am anticipating a steep learning curve! ::)
Pete

The prints of the Zeppelin Rail car and the GWR Rail car are publicly listed and free to use non commercially.  The GWR file is well designed whilst the Zeppelin has known errors and I wanted to see how the software treated these errors.  In practice there are bumps but no loss of integrity which is good.

Here is the Zeppelin cleaned up and sat on a Tomix chassis as a test. Sanded and filled its going to be an eye catcher

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 05:18:27 PM »
That Steam Railmotor looks very good I have made one out of an Auto coach but that looks much better as an auto coach isnít really long enough .
I will put my order in for you to paint and line ,and finish with transfers ,next time I see you , I can use the little chassis I have allready it might not be 100% accurate but it will have to do ,no hurry as I know you are very busy with your other projects .
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 07:01:08 PM by Bob Tidbury »

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 06:45:19 PM »
Well done David, but both are a little early for me

Regards,

Alex

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 08:54:00 PM »
Ok, third learning cycle on the GWR Rail car and I'm happy with the result.  Each cycle has removed more supports, that are automatically generated by the software, from the outside of the model.  I have not lost any integrity of the shape and I suspect that I could remove even more supports and retain the shape.  The third print is certainly up to Shapeways FUD standards.

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 08:46:57 PM »
About time you caught up with the rest of us...although im amazed you went for a printer thats not great at AA as per the lines in your coach print where pixel shift is an issue...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:49:14 PM by Only Me »

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 08:48:43 PM »
About time you caught up with the rest of us... 🤣😉😉

Never judge an iceberg by what you can see  :D

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00